5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth
Published on August 27, 2011 by river

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better
Published on March 18, 2010 by Dave H.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, August 27, 2011
This review is from: Festool ETS 125 EQ Random Orbital Sander (Tools & Home Improvement)
The 5" i'd been using for a few years prior to the ETS 125 was the Bosch 1295DVS, which was powerful but was noisy and caused hand numbness after 1/2 an hour. First impressions of the Festool were mixed; It was incredibly smooth, light, and quiet, but felt very underpowered compared to the Bosch. Frankly I was disappointed with how weak the ETS seemed. After using it for a couple days I learned how to use the ETS and fell in love with it. The sander just glides over the surface so smoothly that I barely need to hold on to it -letting the tool do all the work- to the point that there's almost no vibration transmitted to my hands. With the right abrasive the ETS will still remove material fairly quickly, but i would not rely on it for very rough work; there are other sanders built for that purpose. As far as the Festool line goes, the ETS 125 is the most similar in size to the majority of the random-orbit sanders on the market. The ETS 150's are much larger than the palm sander size that I'm used to. The ETS 125 is more than worth the price, and the Festool abrasive options are great and not expensive when bought in quantity, about $22 for a 50 pack of paper for bare wood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Festool ETS 125 EQ, January 28, 2012
This is an OUTSTANDING product & worth the price. It is ruggedly built & the dust extraction is far better than other random orbital sanders I have owned. I will buy other Festool tools.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, March 18, 2010
Dave H. (Pasadena, CA) - See all my reviews
I own two of these sanders and I have had to replace the hook and loop pads 3 times on each one. Meanwhile, my BOSCH pro sander made in Switzerland has never needed the pad replaced on the hook and loop. Also, I just use a regular shop vac with a cleanable filter. The Festool VAC is a waste of money and you have to keep buying filters. This is the best 5" sander on the market if you are looking for fine finish and the least amount of swirl marks left in soft wood.

The idiot who compared it to Ryobi doesn't know anything about power tools, their history or how they are engineered. This tool is made in Germany and has 2 ball bearings and a metal alloy base, it is very well built.

I would compare this to the old ROCKWELL tools that existed back in the 50's and 60's....built to last over 100 years.

4.0 out of 5 stars works well for me, March 18, 2010
I picked one up about last year and is working fine. I like the long cord and with my shop vac there is very little dust. Seems well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little sander!, August 21, 2011
Electric Eye (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this to augment my RO125 and I love it! I had been using a Makita random orbital handheld for years but was always bothered by the dust, noise and the length of time it took to slow down / stop. The ETS 125 answers all those concerns and more leaving nearly indetectable swirl marks. Other reviewers have complained of lack of power, Festool dust extraction, etc... Everything works extremely well together and this tool will get a lot of use in my shop as a companion to the RO125.

4.0 out of 5 stars Festool EQ 125, February 20, 2011
I have 10 Years of woodworking expierence built furniture and toys and small items..

I had a Ridgid 2600 OS sander it droped two inches and stopped working... I had it for a for about 5 years it was a great tools and what I asked and then I decided to take the plung and by the Festool ETS 125EQ.... I have to say very nice sander.. It does not vibrate as much as the ridigid did and has great dust collection even with out the vacum.... It's lighter and it does a great job removing material..... Comes with a good selection of sand paper grits and the case is pretty nice....
As for the review comparing this sander to Ryobi... He could have taken the sander back Festool has a 30 day no questions ask return policy... So that has to make one wonder...

1.0 out of 5 stars Not up to all the hype, February 25, 2014
After using this sander for a week, I dropped it about 10" to the ground and had to send it in for repair. Before dropping it, it left horrible swirl marks on anything sanded. I'd jump back over to my cheap Dewalt or Porter Cable and they would sand them out nicely and leave no additional marks.
So after getting it back (they replaced the bearings) I thought that maybe that was the reason for the poor performance......NOPE! This thing leaves swirl marks like no other in anything from Red Oak to Alder and it's not the operation of it. I've tried sanded 20 different ways with it and still get swirl marks.
Needless to say, It's going on Craigslist for a bargain.
The only good thing about this is I haven't sunk my life savings into an accompanying dust extractor yet!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Diminutive and Underpowered, June 3, 2011
Festool typically hits a home run with new product introductions but struck out with this one. The ETS 125, alas, has never fulfilled its promise as a handheld orbital sander designed to compete with like offerings from Porter-Cable, DeWalt, etc. It does not have the mass or power of its competitors nor does it have all the attributes of its bigger brothers. The housing becomes hot to the touch with just 20 minutes of intermittent use. With the RO150, R0125, and the new RO90, it is unclear where this sander stands in the lineup. If you have a choice between the ETS-125 and a RO90, take the RO90. I can't say enough good things about the RO 125 and it has become my go-to sander of choice for virtually all of my sanding jobs. Unfortunately, the ETS 125 has been relegated to the shelf absent some minor exceptions. Festool can do better and needs to take a look at this design and re-evaluate it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Festool is all HYPE!, February 12, 2010
I bought this from [...]. I bought it to do finish work inside without causing a dust problem. I wish I had known that Bosch makes a similar sander/vacuum combination.

The Festool sander and vacuum are the worst piece of overpriced garbage I have ever seen. The build quality is similar to or worse than Ryobi. The difference is that Ryobi gives you a darn good tool for the very low price they charge. Its almost entirely made of cheap plastic. I paid [...] dollars for this Festool sander and vacuum combo (yes, apparently I am stupid) and it is the worst sander I have ever had. Here is why:

1. It vibrates like crazy. It chatters across the work surface leaving scratches. It vibrates worse than any other sander I have ever seen. Its very weak as well. I thought that I had a defective one so Rockler sent me a new one. No difference!! They are all like that.

2. The vacuum that I bought with it is also extremely weak. While it does work well in reducing dust during sanding you cannot use it as a vacuum cleaner because it is so weak. A $[...] dollar shop vac is far better and more powerful than this vacuum. You would think a 400 dollar vacuum would work a lot better. The vacuum uses proprietary bags which cost 32 dollars each but I knew that when I bought it.

3. The sander broke after light intermittent use of less than 8 months. [...] required me to call Festool and I was kept on hold for 45 minutes. I think the reason is that the Festool products are so unreliable that their customer service line is constantly in use.

4. Festool products are FLIMSEY!! They cannot be used for professional use!! They can't even be used for light duty.

Did I drop the sander? You bet I did. Who doesn't at a busy work site? At least twice (the cords are long and I tripped over the cord twice causing the sander to fall about two feet from the top of the vacuum.) But I have dropped my Bosch, Milwaukee, and Porter Cable sanders many, many times without a problem on concrete, into dirt and sand and once I dropped my Bosch about 10 feet. They all still work as well as the day I bought them. By the way, the Bosch sander is more than 8 years old. Every one of those sanders is 100 times better than the Festool.

Don't be suckered in by watching people on TV using Festool products. Those people are probably being paid. These products I bought from Festool are TERRIBLE!!!

The vacuum still works and I am using it with my Bosch sander. Luckily the hose fits the Bosch perfectly. The sanding is just as dust free as when I used the Festool so I am not going to replace the Festool because the Bosch works so much better. Anybody need any Festool sandpaper?

Festool ETS 125 EQ Random Orbital Sander