5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Intensity
Just when I didn't think it could get any better than Rush, Maya Banks throws Fever into the mix and my emotions are in such a jumbled mess that I can't think straight. I loved everything about Fever! If you read Rush and thought you loved Gabe, you will absolutely LOVE Jace and his all out alpha maleness that bleeds from every page.

The story begins with all...
Published 16 months ago by romantic reading escapes book blog

2.0 out of 5 stars Are you making fun of me?
Dear Publisher:

Published 16 months ago by Jana Aston

2.0 out of 5 stars Are you making fun of me?, April 5, 2013
Dear Publisher:

Are you serious with this book? As I read I kept picturing a publisher meeting where you all sat around discussing how you need more "Fifty Shades" books. Then some exec said "who owes us a book? Surely we've paid an advance to someone who can whip up a series for us." Do y'all even read these type of books? Because honestly, this entire book I felt like you were making fun of me as a reader. "We can publish anything with sex in it! These broads will buy it (figuratively & literally)."

The plot of this book was ludicrous. I'm willing to buy into most any love story. I bought into Rush with Gabe & Mia. But Jace & Bethany... are you kidding me? He has a threesome with her with his best friend ONE night & he's so enamored with her he searches the city to find her? Please. Then he plucks her out of a homeless shelter declares she's HIS (cause they spent 3 hours together two weeks ago) & they're together 24/7. Fine, I'll go with this... Never is it shown why Bethany would go along with this except for oh yeah, SHE WAS HOMELESS AND HAD NO WHERE ELSE TO GO. So romantic. It made her look like a hooker. What befuddled me is that Bethany survived 4 years being homeless in NYC and when Jace swoops in to save her she didn't ask if he was a pimp. Cause if I was Bethany I immediately would have suspected Jace was selling me into a sex ring.

Speaking of sex, if I could rate this book separately for that I'd give it a 5. The sex was HOT & dirty. So well done there dear author & publisher. You can keep that coming. Wow, I didn't even see the pun till I typed it.

My final annoyance was the inconsistency of Bethany. She lived on the street for 4 years & it's mentioned several times that she used casual sex as a coping mechanism & had many questionable hook ups & you know, met Jace by having a threesome with him & Ash... Yet many times near the end she's described as so shy sexually & oh goody she gets drunk & loses her inhibitions. What? Seriously did anyone proofread this thing? Edit? Anyone?

So dear publisher, you can sit around in your conference rooms talking about how dumb Fifty Shades was & how you have to demean yourselves publishing this nonsense, but guess what? I loved Fifty Shades. I bought Christian & Ana from the moment she stumbled into his office. Fever, no so much.

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't get it..., April 4, 2013
I guess I should have known not to go there with this book because I was bothered by the first book. But I wanted to give the author and the series the benefit of the doubt, especially since there were so many positive reviews. But this was not a "love" story I could get into. I was actually disgusted and put it down as soon as the threesome started. I honestly thought Jace was going to stop it because he had feelings for her and had reservations about sharing her with his best friend, Ash. But apparently, one can suck off one's best friend and then fall in love....? Sorry, but my imagination just cannot stretch that far and then snap back to happily ever after. Once the threesome started and I realized where this was going, I shut off my e-reader and promptly returned it for a refund. Don't get me wrong, I love to read, I love sex, a love a good love story with great sex scenes...but I guess I am not as "evolved" as some to think of this as a good premise for a "love" story. I honestly cannot offer much as far as an opinion goes for the rest of the book. As you can see, I didn't get far at all. Mia's story (in Rush, Book 1) with the 3 business men was disturbing enough but I muddled through and finished the book. And though I found that scene and her forgiveness of it all disturbing, I still finished it. But I guess I am ending it there with Ms. Banks. This is nothing against the writer. It seems there are plenty of people who like this kind of story, but I am definitely not one of them. At the end of the day, I prefer a love story that doesn't start off with 'shy beautiful girl' sucking off her future love interest's best friend while he watches and partakes in the "fun". And then what? They all sit around the dinner table for a family gathering?? Next!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable....literally! And not in a good way!!, April 11, 2013
First of all, let me start with my biggest complaint about the book....WHAT MEN OUT OF A COLLEGE DORM TALK THE WAY THESE 3 GUYS DO? Seriously, I felt like this author went to a college dorm and listened to the lingo and then put that as the dialogue. It is completely ridiculous. And more so, once you consider that they are supposed to be billionaires and are 38 yrs old!! Completely ridiculous. I dont even know normal 25yr old who speak like that. The dialogue was complete garbage.

Second, if I ever read the word "baby" one more time, I will cheerfully burn this book. Surely, Maya Banks, you must be familiar with Thesaurus to atleast find other similar endearments. The total abuse of certain words or phrases over and over again was galling, to say the least.

Third, can there be a more UNBELIEVABLE plot? Seriously!! I'm willing to buy a lot of stories (even unorthodox romance types), but this storyline was a complete joke. In what world would these two meet and have anything in common? How does someone who has lived on the streets not question the motives of all these good things coming out of nowhere? How do you not even at least have a wayward thought that it could be a pimp? How does someone who has lived in the streets of NYC for 4 YEARS not have an ounce of a backbone....or is so trusting??

Ugh, my complaints about this book are too many. I bought most of the storyline until chapter 5 and then it just became an absurd joke. The plot is underdeveloped, the story line is extremely far-fetched, the writing is lackluster, the emotional connection to the characters is missing and the ridiculous repetetiveness over & over again should be considered cruel & unusual punishment.

This book deserves to be pulled from the shelves. BDSM & sex scenes does not a novel make. This is a prime example of that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously?! So Disappointed, April 13, 2013
Let me start out by saying that I love Maya Banks. I automatically preordered all three books in the series. I enjoyed the 1st book and was looking forward to reading this one. I've been trying to get through it for over a week but, it's so awful I can't make myself finish it. Why Maya? Why would you think we want to read Another
her version of 50 Shades of Grey? And this is even worse- putting a homeless women in this story, what we're you thinking? This book is disturbing, not exciting, or believable for that matter. Unfortunately, Maya Banks is no longer on my "automatic buy" list.

It's now Sept 2, 5 months later, and I still read everyday but I still haven't finished this book. It bothers me that it's there on my kindle 1/2 read, but I still can't bring myself to finish it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous! Awful..., April 3, 2013
ivlonon "ivlondon" (new york, new york USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fever (Breathless) (Paperback)
This book is so beyond belief, its truly ridiculous (and i dont mean in a good way). Mr Gorgeous Billionaire instantly falls head over heels for a starving, homeless ex drug addict who has had threesomes and indiscriminate sex with strangers and numerous partners, for money. And the Author expects us to believe (despite all the kinky sex and drugs and possible prostitution in her past) that this heroine is actually sweet and innocent, and that nothing in her dark past is actually her fault or her responsibility. She's just endlessly a victim. (Although the Author also tells us this girl is supposedly very intelligent. What!? yeah, right. A homeless hooker junkie). The hero rescues her and places her in a palatial environment in the lap of luxury- yet she's constantly threatening to leave him and go back to starving in the streets. Yeah right! Never in a million years (or a billion years!) would a couple like this ever get together in the first place. They have absolutely nothing in common, and there is no effort by the Author to develop their relationship. On top of being ridiculously, absurdly, laughably unrealistic- it was also quite boring and repetitive. I regret the money l wasted buying this rubbish, and the time l wasted reading it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sucks Terribly, October 11, 2013
This is my first time ever writing a review, but I felt obligated. This was one of the worst books I have ever read. I fell in love with Gideon and Christian and thought maybe Jace would be a new indulgence but he sucks so bad. He wants to be a dominant, but he wants the submissive to be in control. He screws around so much the entire city knows about his exploits, but one night he has a threesome with a homeless chick and falls in love. Not only that, but moves her into his home within weeks and proposes with months. The dialogue sucked hot, moist dog shit. After the first couple of chapters I just started skimming because it all became so repetitive. I seriously want a refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fever, April 9, 2013
I was really excited to continue this series. The first book was great! But there is only one word to describe this book, the story line, the writing, the use of the same phrases over and over and over again- awful. Save your time and money.

1.0 out of 5 stars How the mighty have fallen, April 11, 2013
This review is from: Fever (Breathless) (Paperback)
First let me say that I love most of Maya Banks' books - the plots, the characters, and - oh yeah- the steamy scenes.
HOWEVER. This book was beyond ridiculous. I liked Jace in "Rush", all that was written about him taking care of his sister, but here he was portrayed as a man with serious anger-management problems. Repeatedly lashing out at Bethany - "roaring" was mentioned once or ten times. After the numerous temper tantrums come the pleas for forgiveness, here "desperate" makes several appearances. The Character of Bethany was weirdly naive and clueless, completely at odds with her being homeless till she met Jace. And the silliest scene by far - right after being hospitalized and barely surviving, while recuperating in the intensive care unit, Bethany gets a special delivery of a really "healthy" foods at her sick bed - "finger foods. Fried cheese, crab wontons, barbecue riblets, French fries, Asian noodles and an eggroll. It was so unbelievably perfect" Yeah. An unbelievably hot mess. Just Like this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Booooo !!! Unbelievable Disgusting Piece of Unrealistic Nonsense, October 6, 2013
This review is from: Fever (Breathless) (Paperback)
I can't believe this book is authentic. I think I have just been punked, or am about to be on an episode of What Would You Do. This was an immature and poorly thought out novel. It was like 50 Shades of Gray Part 16, if it was written by a 10th grader who will one day be arrested for something extremely weird.

The plot isn't even believable. I kept reading because I thought something would connect; I thought something would eventually make sense. I at least thought the sex scenes would eventually become sexy, since they were such a major addition to the novel, but no. They remained unappealing, and overly drawn out. Some were actually openly gross.

-Warning, if you have not read the book, you might want to just look at my one star, and use that as your only reference---

LaLa Land Scenario-- You fall in love with an emaciated homeless woman across the room who has not been permitted to bathe or eat in three days. Your best friend approaches her for a threesome. She only agrees if you promise to feed her a hamburger. This somehow turns you all on, and both besties proceed to go after every hole in the homeless woman's body.

However, due to your instantaneous "love", you feel that your friend has disrespected the homeless woman because only you should have made her orgasm. When you awaken, the homeless woman has returned to the streets, and you just don't understand why she didn't sense that love at first sight emotion too. You search the universe, find her, adopt her into your existence, move her into your sister's apartment, and within a week "train" her to be your grateful submissive.

She is so exhausted with being responsible for herself, that she now is able to live her dream of drinking hot chocolate, and having you spank her and give her anal. Then comes her highest dream, having someone buy her shoes and take over the entirety of her new life's rearing. She's always dreamed of having a parent, and you fulfill that as well as her desires. That's basically the story. It doesn't get much deeper than that... ever.

This was not an adequate use of even the least valuable of time. I have a thing with completing every story I begin, but I skipped so much of this book. It was horrible, immature, unrealistic and at times disgusting, and I'm not even easy to shock. Don't waste your money. RUN!!! Go buy a Sylvia Day or Christine Feehan novel. Don't waste your time, cash or intellectual brain points. This book was simply awful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly Disappointed, October 14, 2013
I was sadly disappointed by this book. I LOVED "Rush" & a small part of me hoped this second book would continue with Gabe & Mia's story instead of moving along to Jace, but I read it anyway. In all honesty, I think the books would have been better if they HAD continued on with Gabe & Mia's story, including marriage & children.

Instead, we were given Jace's story. A very unrealistic, almost painful read.

1. I'm pretty sure "her eyes widened" was the MOST frequent line in this whole book. Generally, female readers are the ones reading these types of "romance" books. We want to be able to identify with the main female character so that we can relate & picture ourselves in her place. Aside from her being homeless, Beth was a very weak-willed character. She seemed timid & weak throughout the whole book and I found myself rolling my eyes at how often she seemed to just stare at whoever was talking to her with "wide eyes". She spent 80% of this book like a deer in headlights.

2. Can we just talk about the excessive cursing for a second? I'm no prude, but is it seriously necessary that "Jace swore" (& every other curse word) need to be used in every other sentence? He doesn't need to "cross the CURSE street", we can just "cross the street". These men are supposed to be respectable, billionare business men. I understand that they clearly lead very different lives behind closed doors, but curse words every 10 words just makes me feel like I'm reading a teenage boy's diary.

3. Enough Anal sex. I'm willing to bet that the number of men who find anal sex "hot" far exceeds the amount of women who do. Once or twice? Okay. Every time they have sex? Gross.

P.s. If you're looking for a good laugh, listen to this audiobook.

Fever (Breathless)
Fever (Breathless) by Maya Banks (Paperback - April 2, 2013)
$15.00 $9.98