Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 29, 2008
The review above written by Pete is very positive. You should be aware that Pete only has reviewed one book.

Fibonacci seems to be an area of technical analysis that is very poorly covered in the literature. There are several books but many of them are by writers of newsletters (and the books often spend page after page on historical irrelevant detail). This doesn't automatically make the books bad, but it is likely that the author will hold back certain information.

This book is not for beginners. I would buy Robert Miner's book to get the received wisdom on Fibonacci retracements and extentions. Then I would experiment trading on those ideas for a couple of years. Anything above this level isn't in the public domain and you have to be prepared to spend a lot of time doing research. If you want to learn more you can consider buying this book or another specialised book (Greenblatt or Boroden). But be aware: The further you read this book the more opaque it becomes. I think you also need to subscribe to the author's newsletter. So this author does hold back information, but in the earlier chapter the writing is fairly straightforward and some testable ideas are presented.

Personally I have decided not to go down this route. I do believe there is value in basic Fibonacci ratios, but there is too much mysticism in the advanced literature for my comfort. Maybe I'm missing something, but I take the risk.

For a solid primer and intermediate description of Fibonacci and trading, I would recommend Boroden's Fibonacci Trading : How to Master the Time and Price Advantage. Many of the ideas are also found in Miner's High Probability Trading Strategies: Entry to Exit Tactics for the Forex, Futures, and Stock Markets (Wiley Trading). The authors seem to be friends so a lot of overlap in material. Another Fibonacci book that I would rate higher than the current book isHarmonic Trading, Volume One: Profiting from the Natural Order of the Financial Markets (Pearson Custom Business Resources).

I've still given this book 3 stars because I suppose it is cutting edge and if you are interested in the area it is worth getting other people's ideas for forward your own thinking. Still I'm on the borderline of giving the book only two starts because it could have been written in a much clearer way.

UPDATE 2011: I now have much less patience with poor quality trading books. When I wrote the original review I still believed that the author was honestly trying to convey her knowledge to the best of her ability. I will change the rating to one star.

UPDATE 2015: I made another attempt. The author is purposefully making the book hard to read and apply. Still one star
77 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2008
I have read this book twice and started using the confluence zones. Now the book is used like a daily reference manual.

Keep in mind that the other reviews you see above are correct; knowledge of technical analysis is helpful in understanding this information. I have been investing and trading for several years and I have also accumulated 100 books on the subject. None of these books ever compelled me to write to the author and thank them for writing their book; that is until this one. Constance has a gift for teaching. Being brilliant helps too! This book is required reading for the serious trader.
I am amazed at what happens in the confluence zones!! I am getting better and better at drawing the correct Fib Levels and my zones are becoming meaningful and respected. This makes me freak out a little because these are levels I would never see otherwise; they have no meaning until you find them!! (if that makes any sense at all)I know several traders who think they are using Fibonacci Levels. Now I recognize that they are using Fibonacci all wrong. I was too; before I read this book.

My advice; get the book, read it, read it, read it; then practice like you have never practiced before.

Tools are only as good as the hand they find themselves in; be committed and this will amaze you too.
44 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2011
I day trade using Fibonacci patterns as my primary methodology so I am not a stranger to this approach, and I was looking forward to increasing my technical knowledge of this pattern; however, I found this book exceedingly difficult to follow. It is poorly written, poorly organized, and filled with diagrams that are only partially explained. One has to also wade through a great deal of pseuodo-historical and pseudo-mathematical balderdash that has nothing to do with trading but which has a great deal to do with the author's desire to impress us with her erudition.
Maybe Ms. Brown is the great and wonderful technician that she repeatedly tells us she is, but she certainly isn't a pedagogue.
on June 22, 2010
This book might be more appropriately titled: "How Constance Brown Makes Fibonacci Analysis" so not to mislead readers into thinking this is a exhaustive exploration of the subject. The content is laid out as a narrative with little effort made on critically establishing contexts and criteria of the author's analysis/decisions. In other words, this book is more of a operator's manual than an educational piece.

Setting aside my opinions of the validity of Fibonacci analysis and the author's obvious success in the traders' world, my quarrel with this book is on the very, very troubling prose construction and content organization:

1. No provision of a master list of the o-so-important 'internal markers' that the author keeps alluding to throughout the text. Those 'markers' are sprinkled here and there, seemingly inconsistently applied to each case study.

2. Starting in Chapter 2, there are excessive usage of "I will discuss this later" without making clear references, well, later.

3. The utility of this book is hampered by its content organization. The reader will likely have to do a lot of note keeping (plus organizing and reconciling the notes eventually), which would not have been necessary if more work is done by an editor. The writing probably would not fare well in any college-level English course, as an example from page 46:
"(paragraph break)
But how can I be confident this is the price support level the market will respect for a significant rebound? From this simple method alone, I cannot answer this latter question. For this reason, we need to continue.
(paragraph break)"

Unfortunately, I must say this is a haphazard attempt at a subject I find very interesting, by a trader I respect, and from a publisher I trust. I certainly expected a lot more from a piece of work that is introduced as a author's legacy work.
on June 15, 2011
This book was a big disappointment. I expected more from Bloomberg Press. The author takes this subject and makes it way more complicated than it needs to be. I ended up doing a Google search and downloading a free trading magazine article on constructing Fib Lines and Confluence and got more out of it than the book.
on April 9, 2015
Meh...maybe it was me, but Ms. Brown always seemed to stop just short of including the full detail that one needs to truly understand something. I therefore found this book a chore to read.

[As a side note, I'm a trader, have been continued to study trading for years, and read whatever appears to be able to add to my knowledge. I have a very strong quantitative background.]

As she described setups of Fibonacci lines, she laid out some ground rules and followed them consistently. Then she would, for example, set up a superimposed set of Fibonacci lines and measure distances between 50% lines. She'd do this several times in order to see a pattern of changes in the 50% level that she indicated would give insight to the direction of the market.

Her explanations of the setups and the progressions were difficult to follow because, again, essential details as to the reasons that she was doing what she was doing were absent. That left me constantly thinking, "What the heck is going on here? What's the point."

When she got to the point, I was left wondering, "What good is this? Why should I care about this result. Moreover, how will it help my trading?"

I was left with the feeling that I was watching an expert apply her techniques but not relating all of the details, nor indicating what and why she was doing.
on January 28, 2011
This book is complicated and sometimes seems out of focus.
However it teaches something that I haven't found anywhere else : how to correctly select the starting and ending points of a Fibonacci range.
If you look at Alan Farley, Carolyn Boroden or Joe DiNapoli books, you'll see that their method is to identify the low and the high of each swing. I constantly lost money using Fibonacci retracements with their methods and Constance Brown explains why : the market may be contracting or expanding and you may start the range after a gap, at the beginning of a long bar, after the second correction, etc...
I admit it can look very personal and somewhat arbitrary, but once you've done it several times, the beginning and ending points seem to jump out of the chart ; the confluence zones, hidden to most of the traders, come to life and those levels are respected within ticks... it's almost magic (and at least this trading edge won't be duplicated too soon by any computer program) ! This enables you to "predict" where the market will turn and as a consequence, place very tight stops... Very different from what can be taught by several "experts" : "the market should stop retracing between the 38% and 62% retracements" - in this book you'll learn to make very precise predictions : if wrong, you get out with a minimal loss - if right, the trend resumes and you hit jackpot because you can trade a large position, as your exit point is so near the entry !
On the first reading, I didn't get everything and found that the book looses focus on several chapters (discussion on Gann or astronomy for cycle analysis for example). The last chapter, aimed at selecting which confluence zone is more significant, is unclear ... I've read it several time and can't understand how to do it right.
However, all the discussions on the "internal markers" used to define the beginning and ending points of each grid are priceless.
I almost can't place a trade without fib grids on a chart : 5 stars !
on April 3, 2012
If you look at the reviews of Constance Brown's books on Amazon.com, reviewers fall into the "love it" or "hate it" categories -- no one is in the middle. I've read almost all her books (the new one on Elliott Wave isn't out for another few months and there is one that Amazon doesn't carry, but B&N does). My review covers all of her books in a way, but is meant to be specific to the text on Fibonacci Analysis Fibonacci Analysis (Bloomberg Financial).

Fibonacci analysis is not a trivial process, although most charting software would make you think it is. As Constance points out beautifully, the selection of pivot points isn't as simple or mindless as "take the extreme high and low points" -- markets have an internal geometry that changes over time and you have to match that geometry to pick the proper pivots and thus create the correct confluence zones. She's very upfront about this in her Introduction and in the text itself, again and again. This analysis takes proper tools (whether computer drawn or with proportional dividers on paper) and practice ... and ideally (but not mandatory) a mentor to help guide you.

Is this book a stand-alone text? Yes, it is complete to itself. However, as Constance says (my paraphrase), "WD Gann spent decades learning about the mysteries of the Sacred Ratio and how to apply it; I've spent years, building on his and my mentor's further teachings; and if you're serious, you'll spend lots of time learning the basics and then making it your own". There is no easy road and this isn't "all you need to know about Fibonacci in 8 easy lessons". This is the freshman year of college and you have the rest of college and then graduate and post-graduate work ahead of you if you want in-depth understanding.

Remember that this book has a limited number of examples and pages. You have to study and repeat what Constance does on your own charts for the lessons to sink in. It would be ideal to sit with her for a week, but few of us have either the time or money to do that. Reading other dedicated Fibonacci books [e.g., Fibonacci Trading by Carol Boroden Fibonacci Trading: How to Master the Time and Price Advantage) or going to trader websites using Fibonacci techniques can show you alternate methods, or better yet, give you an opportunity to see how Constance Brown's technique improves on what is the "industry standard" for traders. All of it is learning and making this tool your own.

Are there errors in the text? Yes, a few, but they are relatively minor and if you're reading and understanding the material, you'll know the corrections you need to make. I've found typos and minor corrections in most books and this has fewer that most others in the finance/trading universe.

Does she answer the questions she raises in the text? Yes, she does. It may be in a later chapter or rephrased slightly, but she never leaves us wondering ...

In short, this is not an easy book to read, but that's because the material isn't easy. The writing is well done, clear and the progression from basics to advanced concepts is exactly what the student needs.

This book has taken a place of honor in my trading library, next to her master work on Technical Analysis. She points out the path and gives us our first lessons, but there is no "predigested spoon feeding" here; the rest is up to us as students to find, learn, master and ultimately, pass on to others.
on September 7, 2008
Constance Brown is a very intelligent person. I said that first because this is not the type of investing book that deals in general market tactics and strategies that most people write and can write. If you read this book you might find yourself(as I did) going back and reviewing things before you get the hang of it.

Fibonacci systems are not easily understood if they are to be implemented correctly. This book covers all you'll need to understand and implement Fibonacci systems in your technical analysis, except for the software obviously. Like she says in the book, don't feel discouraged if you don't get it right away. Keep at it and keep researching and tempering your skill.

I wish Mrs. Brown would write a series on Technical Analysis(she mentions other topics that she would like to write about in the book). She has written other books but I'd like to see them republished or some written anew.

All-in-all a great book. Not for beginners. Definitely rewarding.

Pluses: A first(or near it) of it's kind. Deep subject reviewed and explained. Author has authority and knowledge on subject.

Minuses: Book might be out of reach for some leading to disappointment. Definitely requires study to fully understand.
on August 16, 2013
I have used Fibonacci retracements and projections in determining levels that might be inflection points in market price action.
Connie Brown's explanation of how to utilize Fibonacci ratios in this regard is different from what I had been used to. I am always up for learning something new from someone who has proven themselves in the marketplace. This book is probably not for everyone as it bases its premise on there being a universal, repetitive pattern incorporating the prominent Fibonacci ratios in everything; including the price action of the markets. If you feel the markets are simply and purely a random walk then don't waste your time. But if you feel there must be some sort of underlying structure to the way markets move, a structure that repeats and rhymes again and again then this book might something you can gain from. As with anything, your mileage may vary.