Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fibromyalgia For Dummies
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 7, 2005
When I came down with fibromyalgia, I didn't know what had hit me. My family members were equally scared, if not more. Getting answers was half the battle. Anxiety heightens fibro symptoms, and the immediate answers presented in this book reduced a considerable amount of aimless worrying.

The information in this resource helped explain the signals that my body was giving off, and make sense of the condition. They also give practical solutions. Their rehabilitation strategies draw from many branches of medicine, including complementary and alternative ones.

This book is well written. It is palatable, valuable and comforting to those who confront this condition. Incidentally, you can also bring it into your doctor's office, s/he might find their drug combination suggestions as valuable as you do.
on February 28, 2004
If you have been newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia, this is one of the first books you should read. This book is very informative and I use it in my lending library at my office along with a few others. Fibromyalgia is REAL!!! Patients are not "faking it to get attention" or "imaging their pain". If some doctors would simply check the FMS patient's neurological signs they(the doctors) would find out that a patient cannot "fake" these important neurological findings!! This is a great book.
Dr. Michael L. Johnson, author of "What Do You Do When the Medications Don't Work--A Non-Drug Treatment of Dizziness, Migraine Headaches, Fibromyalgia, and Other Chronic Conditions".
on March 6, 2003
Fibromyalgia for Dummies has great info on what causes fibromyalgia, what it really feels like (with many anecdotes from people with fibromyalgia) and what you can DO about it, including medications, lifestyle changes, and much more. And if your doctor thinks fibromyalgia is a pretend problem (as some still do), the book tells you how to find a new doctor who understands and will help you. Written in the easy-to-understand style of the Dummies, the authors explain fibromyalgia in a caring and helpful way, with a thorough and illustrated discussion of key diagnostic terms, such as the tender points of fibromyalgia. If you have fibromyalgia or think that you may have it, you need Fibromyalgia for Dummies.
on August 11, 2005
A member of my family was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and this book answered the vast percentage of questions we had about it. It is very easy to read and identifies the symptoms and side effects of the condition.

Well worth reading for anyone who needs information quick, clear, and concise.
on February 2, 2003
This book was a helpful guide for my family and I. It gives solid scientific information and states findings in an easy to read and entertaining way. I would recommend this to all fibro patients and their families, especially as the first book to conquer on the subject. There are chapters specificly written for those who are not suffering directly from fibro but are dealing with loved ones who are. Over all a friendly and unique approach to a diffucult health condition!
on October 23, 2005
I bought this book because I have suffered with Fibromyalgia for 7 years. I belive if we get all the education we possibly can, this enables us to be more active in our health management.

I belive this book is a good way to start the learning process. There is alot to learn, this book is just the beginning. It explains it in easy terms. It would help a newly diagnosed person to understand better what they are up against, or it could be used to help explain to your family.
on August 3, 2004
By far the least informative book I've read on Fibromyalgia. It's far too simplfied and woefully incomplete. For instance, the most diffinitive diagnostic tool for Fibromyalgia, the 18 pressure points, is barely mentioned. Called "tender points" in this book, the location and description of these points, how this test is correctly administered, and the important of the test are missing. Without them, you do not have Fibromyalgia. Also, I realize this book is "for Dummies", but give me a break, no one is this simple. More substance and a lot less fluff are needed. Even the writing is mediocre at best. Instead, I strongly suggest you read "Inside Fibromyalgia" by Mark J. Pellegrino, MD (who has the condition himself.) This is my number one reference, easy enough to understand, but solid medically with accurate and sensible diagnostic and treatment help. Also, "Living Well with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia" by Mary J. Shomon (a patient herself) is much better researched and better written than "Dummies." This is a serious subject and even a "Dummies" book should be more comprehensive than this!
33 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2007
Quick read. Thorough coverage of a range of relevent topics in an easy to understand format. No medicine-speak here. Provides validation and information; makes it easier to have an intelligent conversation about this condition; helpful tool when dealing with medical professionals. After researching this confusing condition for over a decade, I can honestly say this is the quintessential guide; a must-read for anyone who needs to get up to speed fast. Fibromayalgia for Dummies helpfully identifies areas that may be of further interest to the reader. This is key because each case of fibromyalgia presents differently.
on January 14, 2003
This book has unique information that I haven't found anywhere else, such as.. women have more pain then men and Dr. Staud's studies that have shown that people who have fibromyalgia do, in fact, experience real pain. This is a don't miss book for anyone who has fibromyalgia or who has a loved one suffering from fibromyalgia.
on March 18, 2007
I was diagnosed about 5ish years ago and I didnt read this book until about a year ago. This book has great info for people who have had fibro for a long time and for people who have been just diagnosed! If you have been just diagnosed please get this book, you wont regret it!