5.0 out of 5 stars Filled With Sprit!
Published on June 23, 2002 by Allyn

1.0 out of 5 stars Perlman: where was he?
Sadly, "In the Fiddler's House" was not a traditional, or at least what one expects as traditional, Klezmer recording. Much to much piano.
Published 11 months ago by margaret paints

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Filled With Sprit!, June 23, 2002
This review is from: In the Fiddler's House (Audio CD)
I love this Itzhak Perlman CD...from the first time I listened to it, I was enchanted! I had never really known about klezmer (Jewish) music before, and this CD was a wonderful introduction to it. Klezmer is very emotional music, and Itzhak and his "friends" certainly bring that into the music. The violin and the other instruments are very mournful and soulful on some pieces-making them sound very haunting and "East European"-almost Persian. Other songs are party or celebration songs, played with wild abandon and zaniness-they really make you want to dance the hora! The instrumental side of "In the Fiddler's House" isn't the only great thing-the singing really adds to the CD. The vocals are in Yiddish (a very neat-sounding language) and go even further to make this CD a real "Jewish experience." The best thing about this CD? You absolutely do not have to be Jewish to enjoy it! I'm not, and I still can't get enough of this unique and soulful music...you'll be hooked once you hear it, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, September 26, 2002
This review is from: In the Fiddler's House (Audio CD)
I recently rediscovered this CD (my mom had purchased about three years ago) and put it into my stereo just to see what it would be like. Little did I know that I was in for a huge - and pleasant - surprise!
"In the Fiddler's House" is what you might hear if you went to a Jewish person's house. It has that intimate, personal feeling. All the songs are great: some are fast, some are slow, some are a little in between. Overall it's a fantastic CD that can be enjoyed whether you're Jewish or not.
I would have to say that undoubtedly track 4 "Wedding Medley" is the best track on the CD (I'm listening to it as I write this). The combination of songs is not only seamless, but gives the song a feeling of surprise. The voices and instruments on this track are very, very lively and fun.
Buy this CD (or at least listen to some of the audio samples) and you'll discover the hidden surprises of Itzhak Perlman's "In the Fiddler's House"!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an incredible album, August 30, 1999
This review is from: In the Fiddler's House (Audio CD)
Being a big fan of Klezmer, and having many ties to it ethnically, I think that this CD compliments any collection. It is truly an auditory wonder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely magnificent., January 22, 2000
This review is from: In the Fiddler's House (Audio CD)
This is a fabulous album, full of the most wonderful virtuoso playing. Have bought several copies to give to friends and relatives.

4.0 out of 5 stars A perky thrill, October 10, 1998
This review is from: In the Fiddler's House (Audio CD)
A fun, uplifting collection of music that makes you wish you really knew Yiddish. Full of "Oy, Oy, Oy"'s (what else do you expect with klezmer?). And full of spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars In the Fiddler's House, January 16, 2007
This review is from: In the Fiddler's House (Audio CD)
Perlman at his best. If you want to buy just one CD with Perlman performing, this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Souful and beautiful., March 25, 2007
This review is from: In the Fiddler's House (Audio CD)
I love Jewish klezmer music, which I forgot to mention in another review of ethnic music, and this one is masterful. I love Itzhak Perlman's violin, both classical, and not. On this one though, he is matched equally with some of the greatest Jewish instrumentalists, and vocalists. Again, like with Greek music, I don't know the language, but that doesn't change my love of this incredibly, soulful, and exciting music. I recommend it as one of my favorites. R. Duane Gibson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, August 5, 2013
This review is from: In the Fiddler's House (Audio CD)
The music is so uplifting. Nothing like Klezmer music done well and such a masterful violinist as Itzak Perlman adding to the splendor of it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to this when I need a lift!, May 23, 1999
This review is from: In the Fiddler's House (Audio CD)
This has become one of my favorites...and my musical tastes are of a fairly wide range.

5.0 out of 5 stars klezmer by violinist itzak perlman, August 3, 2009
This review is from: In the Fiddler's House (Audio CD)
if you like to hear a violin sing and enjoy the rhythms of klezmer music, than you must buy this cd. mr perlman is an absolute consumate violinist. i enjoy this cd, so much, i play it in my car as often as i can. klezmer music, from eastern europe is very old folk music and dances. originally these songs were not written down, so the music was simply played and imitated by other musicians. now, the songs are written and there is a resurgence of this kind of lively happy music. currently, there are many klezmer bands across this country. thank you amazon.com for the right price and fast delivery. cowboy don

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

In the Fiddler's House
In the Fiddler's House by The Andy Statman Klezmer Orchestra (Audio CD - 1995)