4.0 out of 5 stars COUPLE OF POINTS
Used this to dye some Coach leather goods that I own and I just wanted to make a couple of meaningful points.

A little goes a long way, andf this small bottle will dye a ton of leather things. So, if you are on the fence about getting one or two bottles, get one.

Published on May 3, 2011 by Coolkayaker

1.0 out of 5 stars didn't liked it
i tried to use it on a car seat.
it looks like the dye is pretty strong and won't fade away easily.
how ever, the black dye has a purpleish color to it when in the light.
it looks more like ink then a dye.
Published on September 25, 2012 by Meir schwartz

4.0 out of 5 stars COUPLE OF POINTS, May 3, 2011
Coolkayaker "ck1" (Fox Valley, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fiebings Leather Dye (Misc.)

It runs a tad darker than you'd think. So, medium brown, like I got, is very brown. Hard to explain, but I'm just letting you know if you are on the fence about going lighter or darker, go lighter.

Like the other reviewer said, this stuff is very hard to get out. Once it dries on the leather, it dries firmly and does not rub off. You could buy the leather cleaner tp prep the leather befor applying this product, but I did what many online sites mention and used baby wipes, pre-moistened and unscented. They work wonders on all leather and it's a good tip to use them. Then, once dry, apply this dye.

The dobber they give you with this small bottle is very excellent for small areas (less than a few inches across) or for piping.edging. For larger surfaces, you;ll want to buy a few cheap disposable foam paint brushes.

Don't for a second get this on your hands (it takes a week to come off totally), on the floor, or even in your sink My stainless steel sink got some from my washing up, and it;s still there a month later. No amount of ammonia and scrubbing seems to take it off, but some Soft Scrub and elbow grease has it improved. And it stains instantly, so best to do this outdoors.

I also use Leather Honey for general mosturizing and care, and I've written a review of that product, it;s colorless, odorless, and is slightly oily, it is like clear honey when you put it on, and I like it, too, very much. Enjoy! .Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the Best Leather Conditioner Since 1968, 32 Oz Bottle

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dye!, May 13, 2010
This review is from: Fiebings Leather Dye (Misc.)
I have a leather jacket with an orange stripe running down the sleeves. I love the comfort of the jacket but did not love the orange. I thought I would try leather dye. To my amazement it completely dyed the leather black. There is no indication that it was ever orange. It matches the rest of the jacket. I am so happy I get to keep the jacket and did not have to pay for a new one. It's so easy use too! A 6 year old could do it.

4.0 out of 5 stars it made burgandy leather black., December 16, 2012
This review is from: Fiebings Leather Dye (Misc.)
I wanted to change the color of some of my awesome danner boots. its works great, but wear gloves, lay down newspaper and don't do it in the nude, the stuff is messy and gets everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive results but beware. . ., June 2, 2012
This review is from: Fiebings Leather Dye (Misc.)
If you go to Tandy's website you'll see stern warnings about not using this product to refinish leather furniture. It's a proper caution and I suspect Tandy got tired of dealing with angry customers ruining their furniture. That said, I had some pretty impressive results redoing my leather couch, but it may well be that I got lucky.

My ten year old sofa was sun bleached, something I can't do a whole lot about. It also had an odd finish that wasn't analine nor any type of hard glaze. I suspect it was some type of latex coating, which in time faded to the natural light beige of the original leather. Making it even more difficult, I had used a refinishing product that was basically a latex coating that lasted barely a year before it flaked off.

This dye is a true stain, not a coating. It will literally soak into the leather to color it. It also had the advantage of dissolving some of the existing latex finish that I couldn't remove so it blended in well with it. I applied it in small 16" square sections and worried initially that there would be streaks or marks where I started each block, but the dye penetrates very evenly thruout. I used a rolled up shop towel dabbing the dye on with the tip, using it like a mop and scrubbing it in horizontally and then vertically. It dries to the touch in about 15 minutes and you can sit on the leather in a few hours, but the dye solvent softens the leather which allows it to stretch so, so it's best to wait a day or so. The solvent also reacts to some types of foam making it expand some. I used a leather lotion after the dye dried.

The reason for the warnings on Tandy's website is that you can not expect your efforts to result in a perfectly even color similar to when it was new. There are areas in the leather that will take up more or less stain than others so prepare to lower your expectations. I used one bottle of the tan with two bottles of Med Brown so it's a fairly dark shade which will minimize any unevenness in final color. Three bottles, or 12 ounces, was just enough to do the top and side of the seat cushions, the face of the back cushions, the front lower base and both arms of a 82" couch, but I didn't need to do the back and one side. Rubber gloves and plastic dropcloth is a must as this stuff is wickedly messy. Also be sure you have ventilation as the fumes are pretty strong. Best not to do it all in one day.

So, if your leather is the type that absorbs water instead of beading it off, this would be a cheap experiment on the underside of one of the cushions to see if it would work for you. Use a dark shade similar to what you have and you may be surprised at how well it works. Just be prepared for an uneven color spread. Tell yourself it looks antique.

For me it was a last resort before calling Goodwill and buying another sofa. Am very happy with how it turned out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiebings Leather Dye, March 29, 2011
This review is from: Fiebings Leather Dye (Misc.)
This is the same dye I remember using in the USMC for my gear. Covers well. Remember to put a coat or two of Kiwi wax over the leather surface after using.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, but beware. . ., June 2, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want good inexpensive black leather dye...this is it.., August 3, 2011
This review is from: Fiebings Leather Dye (Misc.)
Worked like a charm...soaked in well and dried quickly...hardly any stain on my hands when I tested the dry surface...very water resistant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Dye!, January 12, 2013
This review is from: Fiebings Leather Dye (Sports)
I made a big mistake. I asked my 9 year old son "If you could only get one thing for Christmas, what would it be?". I was expecting the answer to be "An Xbox 360" since he had been wanting one for a year. I already had one wrapped and under the tree, so I thought this was a safe question. Boy was I wrong! His answer flabbergasted me. "A teal baseball glove." A WHAT? Now, it is important to note that my son is a very good baseball player. His dad was a very good baseball player and has worked with him. He plays on a team and it is the one thing that he loves more than video games. I just wasn't expecting an answer like this in the middle of winter when he hadn't touched a baseball in months.

I asked him why teal? There is a baseball video game. One of the players has a teal baseball glove. It is apparently awesome. So this began my search for a teal baseball glove. After searching high and low on the internet and in real life I discovered that teal baseball gloves do not exist. I found one that was manufactured several years ago, but it is no longer made and a very expensive collector's glove now. It also was teal & black. He wanted solid teal.

So I found myself in a bad situation. I had asked a 9 year old what the one thing he would want for Christmas was and he had given me a very good answer. He asked for something simple. Something that would encourage him to play outside, with other kids. (He is shy and baseball has helped tremendously with that). So there was only one thing I could do. Dye one. I searched for info online and found a baseball glove collectors forum where they were discussing dyeing gloves for restoration purposes. They recommended Fiebings's Leather dye. I googled their website and found that they didn't have a teal dye, but they did have Turquoise and Aqua. The Aqua looked closer to teal on their color chart.

I sent an email to their customer support and explained my project. A very friendly person emailed me back and we discussed my project and he recommended a stripping product to use before dyeing and a sealing product to use afterwards. Very helpful customer service.

I got a very light colored glove from Play it Again Sports. This glove had the kid's name written on it 50 places with sharpie. I was skeptical about the dye covering it, but it worked amazingly. You cannot tell that there was ever anything written on it, and it looks like a brand new glove now. The dye was very easy to use. It took only about an hour to dye the whole glove, including using the stripper and getting into all the little nooks and crannies. I forgot to buy some gloves, and ended up getting quite a bit on my hands. Of course I was dying a baseball glove. If you were dying something flat you could probably do it without gloves. The bottle said that rubbing alcohol would take the dye off, but I didn't have any. It wore off in a few days.

On Christmas morning my son was SO excited. He still believes in Santa, so I boxed it up and wrapped it with the same paper his gifts from me and dad were in. Then I put a note from Santa in his stocking explaining that when Santa told the elves what he wanted they didn't have any teal leather, so they couldn't make him one. So Santa had called me to see what else he might like and I had offered to dye one for him. Santa then explained that he had sent me one of his old gloves and the supplies to dye it and I had done him a huge favor by doing the work.

I would definitely use this product again. It made Christmas morning an amazing experience!

4.0 out of 5 stars leather dye, January 9, 2010
This review is from: Fiebings Leather Dye (Kitchen)
What can I say...it's leather dye. I needed something to camouflage the worn parts of my chair, mostly along the piping. It works great. I put a couple coats on and it was easy to use. It has a little puff ball applicator inside and I just wipe it clean when I'm done. Tthe puff ball remains stained but it still works fine. I gave it 4 stars because the seal on the bottle was hard to get off nicely. I wish they would use tabs to pull it off cleanly. When you have dye in the bottle you don't want to be pulling, poking and jiggling a seal to get it off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for automotive upholstery!, July 10, 2009
This review is from: Fiebings Leather Dye (Misc.)
I used this to die a armrest in a gm truck! Worked great with little to no skill involved!

Fiebings Leather Dye