Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on November 12, 2010
Christopher Smith has penned a fine first novel, one of the better debut novels I have read. I suppose by giving it more than two stars, the nay-sayers who took issue with Mr. Smith will classify this review as just another shill rating. Be that as it may, Fifth Avenue was riveting in many respects. I did not expect it to be an expose of corporate America, nor a treatise on managing large corporations, yet there were some revelations that were informative. The cast of characters is large; their actions varied; the interests divergent. Oddly, I did not find one character whom I thought was a truly "nice" person. Fifth Avenue depicts a world of "me first" corporate greed including all the "hanger's on."

I quite enjoyed this read and the myriad plot variations. Yes, some were discernable, predictable, but that is no different than reading any novel or watching any movie and determining beforehand what might happen. An inveterate reader will always look ahead and predict what might happen. That does not detract from the story, nor the ability to keep the reader interested. I have read multiple versions of the Battle of the Alamo. I ALWAYS know what is going to happen, but I read them nonetheless.

The writing was quite well done, very few errors, duplicate words, misused words, or typos. And the length of the book is far beyond most of what have come to accept as a "novel" length piece of fiction.

Well done, Mr. Smith. I commend this effort and look forward to more of your work.

Gordon Ryan, Author
0Comment157 of 179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2010
Fifth Avenue had a great premise, but was way too over the top. Leana, who I guess was supposed to be the heroine, came off as completely unbelievable and a whiny, shallow woman. I get the premise that Leana's father's arch enemy would hire her to run a hotel to upset her dad, but not if she had zero experience. The few scenes where Leana tells off her "assistant" at the hotel were contrived to the extreme and painful to read. Characters were killed off before the reader had time to know them, and every main character was a cliche. One dimensional characters are no fun to read. It felt like the author took a writing class and then used a pro forma list of character types: business tycoon, rich smart daughter, rich troubled daughter, oh yeah, we need a typical mafia guy, etc.

Book would have been a lot better if the author had cut out 1/2 of the characters and ridiculous subplots and spent more time focusing on developing fewer main people.

The scenes where Leana tells off her father? More cliches.

This book was not a "fast paced thriller", it was boring in the extreme and completely predictable. UGH.
55 comments96 of 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2010
Some of these reviews are discouraging, because they focus on the most prurient parts of the book. It should be noted that the pages depicting sexual content are few and far between. What makes this book worth reading are the plot and characters.

Smith creates compelling heroes and villains, but leaves the reader wondering who they should root for in the end. This ambiguity creates tension, and that is what makes this book a page turner. Readers will care about who lives and who dies, which elevates this story above others. Smith is a talented writer, who has written a good book full of compelling characters. I recommend it.
11 comment121 of 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2010
I really enjoyed this book. It was a reminder of being prepared for the sins of the past to haunt you in the future. It was suspenseful and kept my attention throughout.

Minor editorial and grammatical errors, but they didn't detract from the story.

Sexual content did not bother me and I didn't find it graphic, and I found it explained or put in context actions that particular character took.

All in all a book I will read again.
0Comment94 of 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2011
Just read all the one-star and two-star reviews... they are all correct. Shallow and unbelievable characters with petty motivations, unrealistic situations and locations, full of cliches... maybe teenagers who have had no exposure to real life would believe and enjoy it. Gratuitous overly-described sex scenes (I can't believe that on two separate sex scenes, the author gets into a description of how pleased the characters were with the size of their respective partners'sexual organs...completely irrelevant to the story, makes me want to puke). Also, the authori tries very hard to use sophisticated, big words and end up messing it up (and this is evident even for somebody like me, whose first language is not English.
11 comment42 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2012
There was so much violence, disfunctional family life, and sex, that I fould it very hard to like any of the characters. The plot was at least interesting and I did finish the book. But, I was relieved when I checked back and found I'd only paid 99 cents for this book and wish it had been one of the free ones.
It appears the character that appears in the next book is the assasin, who was not likeable as some can be like Keller in Lawrence Block's books or Jack Reacher, who isn't an assasin but is surely violent, in Lee Child's books.
Anyway I thought the sex was excessive too, and I don't think it needed to be so exageratedly disfunctional to make the story work.
on May 11, 2011
This book is filled with bad guys, sex scenes (which do not advance the story line) and inconsistencies. Even for a work of fiction, there are things that just don't make sense. Practically none of the characters are likable and much of what happens in the book seems illogical. Strange as it is to say, this is a well-written "bad" book. By that I mean that the story is garbage but the writing skill is evident. Never again with this author. Two stars may be one too many.
on July 11, 2011
I can only imagine that Mr. Smith has many friends. No one else could write a positive review of this awful novel. His writing is amateurish and his characters are one dimensional. He somehow found a way to make every character a stereotype. There was not one character who I cared lived or died (and many do get knocked off for no good reason). The author is also homophobic. I regret that I wasted my time and my Kindle's battery finishing this piece of trash!
11 comment19 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2010
Excellent story! Explosive from the beginning, this story ingeniously portrays a lustful greed for power, control, money, and dominance - but, who really wins in the end, and at what cost?
* The insane billionaire out for revenge of his wife's thirty-one-year-old murder?
* The rich tycoon and his dysfunctional family that's targeted for death from this lunatic's vengeance?
* Another power player who sneaks in to grab everything for himself?
* The wealthy, beautiful people that work for the prestigious conglomerates?
* Or, the mafia family and paid assassins who are intricately involved in this story, too?

This novel contains an intriguing plot that keeps the reader guessing at what will happen next. As the story moves you forward at a breathtaking, steady pace without slowing down or slacking off - not even during the tense, dramatic and explicit scenes of domestic violence, abuse, homosexuality, and heterosexuality - it brings the very realistically described characters to life in a way that gets you involved and makes you care what happens to them. You also get a very real sense of what New York looks like through the author's description. And, the ending is certainly not disappointing.

I enjoyed this story immensely, would definitely recommend it, and would classify it as a MUST READ - especially if you love mysteries, romance, action, and serious drama. With its crime-outside-every-window depiction, it certainly re-affirms my belief that I'll never want to visit New York, much less live there.

Be warned, however, that the novel needed to have a better proofreader, as there are a dozen or so typos and word flubs that could throw you off momentarily.
33 comments59 of 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2011
I am amazed at all the 5 star reviews for this book. A ridiculous and overly violent story with no character development, Not believable characters and a negative and Perverse Plot line where every character is a bad guy. I didn't see any point to this drivel at all. But all the complaints about the disgusting sex in the book is surprising.

And I am getting a little tired of the crappy "free" Kindle books that i put down after 100 pages or so.... I guess you get what you pay for.
0Comment31 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse