5.0 out of 5 stars A HUGE MEAL FOR THOUGHT ( AND DESSERT, TOO!)
Published on April 16, 2010 by Suzanne Summer

2.0 out of 5 stars I found it a bit sad and depressing
Published on September 17, 2011 by E. Lamoureaux

5.0 out of 5 stars A HUGE MEAL FOR THOUGHT ( AND DESSERT, TOO!), April 16, 2010
This review is from: Fifty & Fabulous!: The Best Years of a Woman's Life (Hardcover)
Reading this book I see growing older in a whole new light that exposes hidden beliefs and ideas I had taken for granted and never questioned. For instance, why do I feel that growing older is a loss, a lessening, a deadening, something akin to misery? Are these my feelings, or are they a product of what I have understood from parents, teachers, friends, cosmetic companies? Looking deep enough, I see my own feelings run counter to this "old" misery hype. I feel excited upon entering a new time...I enjoy and accept myself (and others) in an expanding awareness that was not present in younger years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and valuable perspective, March 28, 2010
This book gives a unique and valuable perspective on aging and left me actually excited about getting older. It is a wonderful gift for women concerned that they will be diminished as they age. Ms. Scarcello underlines the freedom and wisdom available to older woman and effectively counters our dis-empowering cultural outlook. Her sense of humor, her honesty about her own life and her personal insights all kept my interest throughout the book and made for a very enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A much better perspective, March 22, 2010
If you're expecting a self-help book, forget it. This is a reflective journey that abandons self-improvement and embraces the reality that in this stage of life we are more than enough.
Reading this book felt like taking a breather from the relentless messages around me - and inside me - to be better, different, younger...
It helped me look at the many things I've accomplished and gained in my life so far and appreciate them; and me. What a welcome concept!
It's exciting to gain the perspective that striving for external validation is out; internal knowing is in.
Having friends on a journey changes everything and as someone for whom 50 is fast approaching I can look around and see amazing women all around me who are also reaping the benefits of all they have lived.
That's definitely worth a glass of champagne and all the candles on the cake.

Elizabeth, 47

5.0 out of 5 stars toward inner peace, May 4, 2010
Jaki's Fifty & Fabulous is a testimony to the richness of a woman's life. It is an invitation to look deeply at our own experience and to question the myths and tales told about women by the world, by our culture, and by ourselves. The revelations that come out of the many interviews give us hope and delight as we enter the decades after 50. Yes we are declining physically but we are gaining so very much wisdom, insight, and acceptance of life.
This feels like the description of a profoundly spiritual journey into the place of openness and peace within. I am moved and so happy to be one of the women over 50.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, good attitude, November 1, 2011
As someone who just turned 50 and is tired of negative stereotypes of middle-aged women, I found this book a refreshing read. Very positive and forward-looking. Makes getting older sound like an exciting adventure, which I believe it is.

2.0 out of 5 stars I found it a bit sad and depressing, September 17, 2011
I loved the idea of this book but sadly I did not have the same uplifting experience with this book that others had. In fact, I had just the reverse, It depressed me...so much so I decided not to finish the book. Maybe it's me, that I just want to confront the stark reality of being an aging woman, or maybe I did not like this book's portrayal of what it means to be an aging woman. Who knows?

In this book there is a touching story about the beauty of the "crone rose" .... an old, drooping rose with some beautiful characteristics...if you really look to find them. There is a discussion about "being invisible in society" and talk about when physical beauty wanes. After each mention of all of the physical changes that will take place there is a spiritual pep talk to focus on your inner beauty, strength and wisdom. And, there are exercises at the end of each chapter. For instance after one chapter discusses the inevitability of losing ones looks and sexual desirability the exercise asks the reader to "look at what you have lost but also what you have gained." Okay, that's pretty good advice except I just read several pages about the amount of life I have left (as opposed to many years ago where most women die after or during menopause), and how society views me as invisible, with no particular purpose and I will continue to lose what beauty I have left at an accelerating rate. Absolutely, looking at what you have gained, as well as focusing on what you're losing is great advice but it would be a lot easier without the dismal description of aging that came before it.

Frankly, not only did I find these descriptions a bit upsetting, I also don't think they are inherently true...or at least they don't have to be. Diane Von Furstenburg, Helen Mirren, Suzanne Somers are just a very few examples of women, famous as well as women next door, who are over fifty and fabulous. In line with the point of this book is of the women I listed they are all active, dynamic and seemingly have some sense of ease about being over fifty. However, I don't think any of these women could be described as crones, or invisible. In fact, their beauty, not only for their age, but for any age contributes to making them spectacular. I guess my biggest problem with this book was that it really hammered in a culturally constructed stereotypes of an "older woman" and then gave advice for psychologically and spiritually working around them. I would have preferred a book that rather than accepting these stereotypes worked on smashing them. As Diane, Helen, Suzanne and multiple other women have shown us, it is possible to be physically beautiful, visible and dynamic after 50...and women are doing it all of the time!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, April 21, 2010
" it has changed my whole perspective about the female aging process as well as rediscovering a sense of myself that has been dormant for a long while. Very powerful book!!!"

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting reading, April 14, 2014
MaryAnn Bernier (Marquette, MI, US) - See all my reviews
Not anything earth shattering, but good reading. Good reminders for women that 50 does mean life is over! You can reinvent yourself at any time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 5, 2014
Love this book, ordered it again to give to a friend.!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifty and Fabulous, February 11, 2011
This book is a MUST read for any woman...whether above or below 50! The insights are inspiring and will guide the younger readers while it affirms and encourages the older ones.

Fifty & Fabulous!: The Best Years of a Woman's Life
Fifty & Fabulous!: The Best Years of a Woman's Life by Jaki Scarcello (Hardcover - April 6, 2010)
$19.95 $16.84
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.