5.0 out of 5 stars Fifty is the New Fifty
Published on June 22, 2009 by Mary Kay Blakely

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed review
Published on August 14, 2009 by Maria

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifty is the New Fifty, June 22, 2009
Sitting across a lunch or dinner table when Suzanne Braun Levine starts telling stories is one of life's great treats. Now that I have some of those stories between covers of a book, so much the better! I loved this book, relating the spunk, the attitude, the honesty, and the pure nerve that comes with each decade. Women of a "certain age" are no longer consigned to an indoor life in a housecoat and slippers. Suzanne ardently believes we've got nothing to lose and a lot of laughs and wisdom to gain by altering our lives--I'm IN!
Mary Kay Blakely

5.0 out of 5 stars Is Older Really Better, April 2, 2009
Having avoided all those other books proclaiming how great getting older is, I opened this one warily and found myself intrigued, challenged, and convinced - even on the eve of a Big Birthday, which might otherwise have left me with nothing to say except, It's better than the alternative - I guess! Suzanne Levine has crystallized in ten pithy lessons (each one deserving of its own T-Shirt) the real truth about this life stage - for women, it can be the best one yet, especially if we make it about the stage,which is full of new possibilities, pleasures, and vistas, rather than about the age, which buys into too many old myths and a few new ones about what 50, 60, or 70 is supposed to be like. When Our Grown Kids Disappoint Us: Letting Go of Their Problems, Loving Them Anyway, and Getting on with Our Lives

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep this book on your night table, April 6, 2009
Fifty Is the New Fifty: Ten Life Lessons for Women in Second Adulthood KEEP THIS BOOK ON YOUR NIGHT TABLE! Don't stash it away on some shelf - because if you are a woman past 50 trying to invent the rest of your life, you will need to access its wisdom every single day. Braun Levine gives practical advice that is sometimes permission -- "You don't have to keep doing something just because you're good at it," -- sometime caution -- "All Yellow Brick Roads need a stop sign at the bank" -- sometimes instigation - "Anything that gets you moving will get you where you want to be" -- always with real life examples (one of my favorites is the woman who couldn't lose weight until she invited the general public to watch her diet.) Her style is short, clear, powerful. Her book is indispensable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed review, August 14, 2009
Maria (Washington) - See all my reviews
I had some mixed feelings about this book. I found it to be fairly inspiring in terms how to look at life beyond the midlife point. I was disappointed, however, that most of the book was geared towards women in their fifties; much if it did not pertain to women beyond that age. Being in my sixties, there is a HUGE difference in my lifestyle from the fifties, when I was still fully employed. As I was aware of the author's age, I had anticipated the book to be more relevant to women aged 60 and over. I would love to see her write another book aimed towards an older population. Overall, I really liked the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars tools for new older women, April 2, 2009
There are wise and wonderful observations in this book, and fascinating science to back up what many of us are experiencing, but not always talking about, as we discover that 50, and 60, and 70, are not at all what we expected. It's not our mothers' aging. And it's not men's aging. It's a whole new ball game, and we're only finding out how it's played by playing it. Levine has given us great roadsigns.

1.0 out of 5 stars There is likely to be better books along these lines., November 25, 2013
In my opinion: this was one of the worst motivational books I've ever read, and I ended up throwing it away. It babbled on and on, all over the place, as if the author didn't know what she was trying to say, so was instead trying to say it all, without saying anything much at all. Even she, in the last chapter, basically seemed to say that anything goes. The book is full of quotes, and even some of them go on for so long, that by the time you get to the end, you don't know what the point was in the first place. It is a pity though, as there did seem to be some plausible concepts hidden deep amongst the waffle, but in a well structured book they wouldn't have made a whole book, and they weren't worth the frustration of reading the whole book to find them. Read this book only if you want to know that other women have gone through similar things, but, in my opinion, don't read it for enjoyment, inspiration, or support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Birthday Gift, June 24, 2013
Amber "Artchick" (FORT WORTH, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fifty Is the New Fifty: Ten Life Lessons for Women in Second Adulthood (Hardcover)
I got my copy when I turned 50 and have been returning the favor by giving the book to all of my girlfriends turning 50. It's daunting enough without feeling "old" with your best behind you. This book reminds us that the best is yet to come. It's funny and true. An easy read and great reminder that life happens to all of us...if we're lucky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read!, May 5, 2013
This is an excellent resource for those of us trying to make sense out of where we're at in life. This book puts everything in to perspective.

4.0 out of 5 stars like a long phone call with a good friend, January 25, 2014
I'm turning 50 this year and am spending time to work out what I want to do for the rest if my life. I have many talents and two businesses and some fame but feel dissatisfied. I want to take a sabbatical and work out my next moves. This book helped me..now I'm going to read the reinvent yourself one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging insight shared, April 28, 2011
CharisFleming (PFLUGERVILLE, TX, US) - See all my reviews
Most of what I read affirmed the thoughts and feelings I've had for years now. It is good to know I'm much closer to normal than I ever imagined.

Fifty Is the New Fifty: Ten Life Lessons for Women in Second Adulthood