Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fifty Pills
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on February 22, 2013
Darren (Lou Taylor Pucci) is away at college. His roommate Coleman (John Hensley) is a heavy partier who deals drugs. Through a series of mishaps Darren is going to be expelled unless he can come up with tuition money. He agrees to sell 50 pills for Coleman while Coleman is away for the weekend attempting to make up with his girlfriend who for some reason can't get over the fact he slept with her sister the weekend they broke up.

Darren has the hots for Gracie (Kristen Bell) who doesn't like drug dealers.

The problem with this indie is that it tries to hard to feel like an indie by making every situation quirky. This sometimes works out well if the ideas are fresh and it is executed well. If you have seen a lot of indie and teen movies, you may find yourself yawning during the good parts while the kids are laughing. There is the parents talk about their sex life routine, son gets caught by mom choking his chicken, etc. It was let's be cute and clever by copying someone else's work. It didn't work for me.

Parental Guide: F-bomb, sex, nudity.
VINE VOICEon October 25, 2007
50 pills. One day. Tuition is on the line. Will Darren go through with it and sell the pills to stay in school?

College movies like this come out all the time and, frankly, they're usually terrible. And even though Fifty Pills is pretty cliche at times, and seems to follow a pretty visible plotline, it works because of the cast. Just look at the cover. Four of the seven people on it aren't even in the movie hardly at all. However, every one of them makes their mark, no matter how small their part may be.

The three main characters, Darren (Lou Taylor Pucci), Coleman (John Hensley), and Gracie (Kristen Bell) are all pitch perfect. Lou Taylor Pucci plays the goofy, 'have to do good,' guy impressively well, John Hensley is nothing but hysterical, and Kristen Bell, as always, is amazing. You seriously couldn't ask for a better cast.

Overall, if you're just looking for a funny movie that never takes itself too seriously, you just found it. The laughs are constant and the dialogue is always great. Minus the skimpy bonus features, Fifty Pills is well worth the price of admission.
on September 20, 2007
I agree with everything all the other reviewers have said so I won't repeat the same comments over. I just want to add that the original score and songs used are terrific and fully the capture the emotions and spirit of the scenes. Wish there was a soundtrack available. I recently saw this on cable and found it a highly original film. Maybe the Hollywood suits failed to release it since it was original and didn't follow the typical "Hollywood formula". Support independent films!
on January 5, 2011
I gave this movie to my teenage (18 year old) son for Christmas, and he really flipped over it. He must have watched it 4 or 5 times in just a few days. I gave him lots of DVDs for Christmas, too - which means he had lots of other DVDs to choose from - so for him to do that meant he just couldn't get enough of this movie. Anyway, I can't think of much higher praise than that. My son recommended it very highly. Very, very funny movie.
on May 16, 2007
As a movie critic for my college rag, the ole' interweb is my only outlet for writing movie reviews:

I peeped the trailer for this on a dvd rental a few months back and have been looking forward to it ever since. My anticipation was warranted for sure.

Not only is the script hilarious, the movie's execution is superb. I have never seen an indie film cast as perfectly as this one, seriously. I have been known to party in my time and this film captured my college experience so well that I felt like I was watching a movie about my life (minus the part about selling drugs lol).

The film takes a bunch of relavent, real-life issues facing just about any male under 30 and handles them in a succint (88 minutes) and hysterical fashion.

The drug selling aspect is merely the glue that holds the plot together. I mention this because many people (my fiance included) get turned off by "drug comedies". There is certainly drug humor-- but it is used sparingly and in all the right places. Not only that,I have never ever seen an ecstasy movie, with the exception of the British "Human Traffic", that encapsulates (yeah, I used a pun in this review) what it is like to roll (aka 'to take ecstasy' for the uninitiated).

The movie never takes a shortcut for an easy laugh and maintains a comedic integrity that I haven't seen since "The Girl Next Door". Did I mention that "Fifty Pills" also works off of virtually zero budget? Every cent is put in the right place though and it never feels like a straight-to-dvd movie. Major studios REALLY dropped the ball by not picking up "Fifty Pills" after the Tribeca Film Festival and giving it a limited theatrical release (to boost street cred) before really promoting a dvd release shortly thereafter. It will certainly find its audience but I doubt it will make the money for the filmmakers that it deserves to make. Those who were involved in making "Fifty Pills" (particularly writer/producer Matthew Perniciaro) have a bright future if this movie does some business.

On that note, if you dig teen comedies, drug comedies, or simply coming-of-age tales then give "Fify Pills" a shot. I guarantee that you will have a fantastic 88 minutes.
on October 12, 2007
Wow! I cannot believe how this movie got 5 stars.

I mean, if you really don't care for a great plot then maybe you'll enjoy this movie. However, I just felt that it was simplistic in nature.

Darren loses his college scholarship when he has been busted for having a chaotic party in his room again. However, it was his roommate who held a party while he was away on holiday.

Feeling guilty, his roommate assigns him as a substitute "E" dealer. With the money make from the sales, Darren will be able to keep it and pay his way through college.

However, "E" comes with problems: territorial dealers, profits, broken promises and the like. At the same time, Darren likes a gal on campus. This gal lives a drug-free life and expects him to do the same. Does Darren tell the truth or hides it from her and keep dealing?

*50 Pills* starts off interesting as the cinematic style is different. However, about halfway, I became bored with it. It's long-winded and nothing else was added to maintain my interest. Some characters are just cheesy and cliche'd, such as a talkative customer who tries to butter up Darren with the hopes getting "E"'s for free.

Just was not my kind of movie...
on April 15, 2007
A clever mix of Pulp Fiction, Risky Business, and American Pie with much better writing and extremely smooth production. It is a great movie if you just want to laugh and enjoy yourself without too much deep thought. With my normal overanalysis of movie plots, it might not hold up. However, I really do not think they would care. That was probably never the point. Kristin Bell is hot, and the other dude I've seen somewhere else was very good. For a straight to DVD movie I was very impressed and am curious as to why no one picked it up sooner. Top notch cast, excellent writing, directing and producing. 5 thumbs up.
on June 9, 2009
Darren(Lou Taylor Pucci) is not very happy, and he has plenty of reasons why: his parents think he's gay, although he's not, he can't quite seem to close the deal with his 'dream girl' Gracie(Kristen Bell) and now he's lost his college scholarship.

He only has one way out, and it's something he wants no part in... selling ecstasy left for him by his crazy dealer roommate Coleman(John Hensley).
Of course not wanting to disappoint his parents and ruin his future Darren decides to sell the pills just for the day, get the money he needs, and try to forget any of this ever happened.

As can be expected all Coleman's clients are eccentric and a little strange, not to mention Darren seems to have become a target to some of his enemies, which just digs a bigger hole in between himself and Gracie.

A little typical and maybe predictable but fifty pills maintains a little substance thanks to the decent writing and even better portrayals by the excellent cast. Lou Taylor Pucci is so believable as nice guy Darren you just can't help but root for him!

I'll pop in fifty pills before cutting a slice of american pie, anyday!
on February 14, 2007
Saw this last year at Tribeca Film Festival. Very funny script and I found myself laughing out loud a number of times. IMHO, Michael Pena (World Trade Center) stole the show. Amazing cast for an independent movie.
on August 8, 2008
This is a great movie. It's very funny, spontaneous, & well acted. All the actors make each character memorable, no matter how little screen time they get. From a asian guy named 'The soul man' with an e, to a son who's parents think he's gay, if you give the movie a chance you'll love this.