10,752 Reviews
 (7,135)
 (1,518)

2,425 of 2,542 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars It's awful, but oh so addicting
After surviving 50 Shades of Grey, and after taking a break for a few days from Ana and Christian's tortured romance, I girded my loins and cracked open the second book of the trilogy, 50 Shades Darker.

For those of you intrigued by the words "butt plug" or "fisting," half of you will enjoy your lucky day, because one of those is kinda sorta featured in this...
Published on April 29, 2012 by vox libris

1.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive and redundant.
Someone please give this author a thesaurus and an editing team that cares. It's not just that the same actions are repeated over and over (and over... and over again), it's that the same words are used to describe them every time. It's like someone put 50 words in a bag, pulled them out and mashed them into a semblance of a sentence, then tossed them back in the bag and...
Published on March 14, 2012 by Ebeth822

‹ Previous | 1360 361 3621076 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bit of (truly) Mindless Fun, November 13, 2012
Janet Morris (Huntsville, AL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
After feeling that the first novel of the Fifty Shades trilogy was so overrated, I was a little nervous about reading the second story. Oddly, though, this one was a lot better. I really did enjoy this one. There were a lot of problems with it, but for some very weird reason it was enjoyable.

There was a lot of repetition. In the same way that Stephenie Meyer seemed obsessed with the word chagrin, it seems that E.L. James is obsessed with using "my sex" in just about every sex scene. Since the books are mainly sex and innuendo, that means that almost every other page seemed to have that term.

It was nice that James finally explained more about Christian's background, but it was still kind of lacking in that department, especially considering the ending. It seems like any person with the slightest bit of logic wouldn't move in with a person that they really know nothing about and have only been with for a few weeks. And it was nice to see that Christian is a better person than he seemed to be in the first novel. He's still completely broken and in need of more frequent and more intensive therapy, but he's a better, more compassionate person.

Clearly this is not going to win prizes for best book ever or be remembered as a great literary masterpiece, but Fifty Shades Darker was intriguing enough that I didn't want to put it down until I finished. It was also intriguing enough that I wanted to go ahead and read the final novel in the series. I still think that the trilogy is very overrated, but it is a bit of mindless fun, if you can get over some of the more annoying issues that exist in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I Anticipated, November 13, 2012
Alicia "asalpietra" (Port Allen, LA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
This is the 2nd book for Fifty Shades. It could have been shorter, possibly combined into two books with the first, instead of three. The combined stories amount to a love story that's heartbreaking, touching and erotic at times, the sex isn't all BDSM. The story made me laugh and cry.

Christian seemed overbearing and overprotective at times, but understandable, due to his fear of losing Anna or anyone ever harming her and because of the way his childhood started out and the fact she was an innocent and not use to the harsh things in life. He was not an abuser of women, he did not do anything to Anna without her permission. Some reviews said how he degraded women, but these women wanted to be controlled. This is one of the milder BDSM books I've ever read before and that's because that's not what the story is really about. Yes I've read better writing, I think these books could be edited and improved at some points, but the overall story line and plot was good.

This book is about a lot more than just BSDM, so for those of you who only read the first book, I suggest you read the others and give it a chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed, uou have to read all of the books to really appreciate the story. Unless you're looking for a story based more on sex and not much of a story, than this book is not for you. This story maybe too deep for some people,this is a love story and yes there is a good bit of sex scenes, but not as graphic as you might think.

The sexual descriptions or the BSDM in these books are mild compared to a lot of other books from other authors, like Lora Leigh or Maya Banks, just to name a couple.

1.0 out of 5 stars How many times can someone use the word "mercurial?", November 7, 2012
Lauren (San Francisco, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
Mercurial mercurial mercurial Mercurial mercurial mercurial Mercurial mercurial mercurial Mercurial mercurial mercurial Mercurial mercurial mercurial Mercurial mercurial mercurial Mercurial mercurial mercurial Mercurial mercurial mercurial Mercurial mercurial mercurial Mercurial mercurial mercurial Mercurial mercurial mercurial Mercurial mercurial mercurial.

Perfect now I have a good book. Who wants to publish me? Did she have word-of-the-day toilet paper that had a lot of repeats?

5.0 out of 5 stars Tantalizing, November 1, 2012
After reading the first book I had to get the 2nd and third. I'm not big on sex scenes so I overlooked those but the story alone was SO addicting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifty Shade of f...d' up, November 1, 2012
Marshie (Tarpon Springs, FL) - See all my reviews
This book is not written very well, but it sure sucks you in. I find myself reading and reading in order to get to the next chapter. Can't put it down. Christian Grey has got my attention!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not wait until book three, October 31, 2012
Enjoyed each line - was like a good soap with just enough suspense, drama and of course sex.

Purchased this book because I had just finished and enjoyed book one.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor language, poor story, October 23, 2012
one of my friends told me that part ll was (at least) a little better, so i bought it. but i found it even worse. of course, it's easy reading, but it's not literature, unerotic and over any top imaginable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, October 23, 2012
Seriously. The best series I have read in a really long time. 50 shades darker is twice the book one is only in the fact it actually puts more of a plot. Just as much sex but a lot more plot. Then when you finally make it to freed. It is amazing. The plots get wild and still just as much craziness as the first two. Love the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifty Shades Trilogy, October 23, 2012
These books were by far the best books I have ever read!!! Cant wait for the movie and or book 4

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome n intruiging, October 22, 2012
This book is awesome. since I first read the first one I was hooked on this book. Once we get to know ana n christian we want to know how their relationship will progress. its just an intriuging book that i keep wanting more and more.

‹ Previous | 1360 361 3621076 | Next ›

Fifty Shades Darker
Fifty Shades Darker by E. L. James (Paperback - April 17, 2012)
$15.95 $8.96