28,204 Reviews
 (3,171)
 (2,616)
 (2,430)
 (7,000)

4.0 out of 5 stars Either you love it or hate it...
Okay one thing is clear about `50 shades of grey', you either love it or hate it. I read the book on impulse after a friend recommended it as `similar to twilight', so mind you I had no idea the book dealt with BDSM. My first reaction was `what the hell?!', I have to say it was clearly a surprise and not one I was entirely content with but 50-75 pages in why not...
Published on April 10, 2012 by lccilliyah

24,383 of 25,327 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Did a teenager write this???
I really don't like writing bad reviews. I admire people who have the courage to put pen to paper and expose themselves to the whole world, especially those writing erotica. Having just finished this book, however, I feel compelled to write a review.

About half way through the book, I looked up the author to see if she was a teenager. I really did because the...
Published on April 15, 2012 by meymoon

‹ Previous | 11509 1510 15112821 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Different Viewpoint, January 14, 2013
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (The Fifty Shades Trilogy) (Paperback)
I read a few of the reviews of "Fifty Shades of Grey" with a sinking heart. As a struggling writer who just self-published on Amazon.com, my book "Anatomy of an Infidelity" (Sharon Jensen), at times eerily resembles "Fifty Shades of Grey." My novel is about two third-year medical students--married to different people--who fall in love. It echoes some of the eroticism of "Fifty..."

The resemblance ends there as "Anatomy..." unfolds: how do you keep your spouse from shooting you when he finds out you've been unfaithful? How can you manage the stress of being a medical student when your personal life is falling apart? The tension mounts when powder-keg emotions spill over into their daily lives at Hardin School of Medicine.

In "Fifty Shades of Grey" Ms. James has narrowed her focus to very specific actions. These are at times a bit repetitive, you can't f@#$%@# all the time, eventually you have to get out of bed and go to work. Still, she is an accomplished writer, achieving exactly what the back cover promises: "a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever."

Her writing appears effortless; the prose is seamless with the reader compulsively turning pages to find out what happens next. But the real genius of the story is that she makes us like Anastasia and Christian, eccentricities and all. The writing is also crisp and clever; I wish I'd thought of having an "inner goddess" with pom-poms to cheer my characters on.

Over-the-top sometimes, yes, who wouldn't adore having an amply endowed, billionaire, pianist, pilot, etc. who was gorgeous and wanted only you? I couldn't help but like her characterization of weird and wounded Christian.

Besides, all the best Romance and Gothic novels from the 17th century on have heroes and heroines who are over the top.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not as good as everyone worked it up to be, January 14, 2013
I borrowed all 3 of the books from a friend, many people that I knew worked these up to be sooo good. When I started reading the first one I will have to admit I was a little bored at first. I almost was going to give up on it, I need a book to catch my attention from the beginning and it wasn't doing it for me. But I needed to see what the fuss was all about so I kept reading. While I did want to read more to find out what happened with Anastasia and Christian I think that it was talked up to be so much more than what it was. While some things were kinda hott some were also distrubing. I gave it a 4 because it did make me want to finish it just to know what was going to happen with these two.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's fiction people!, January 14, 2013
I wanted to start out this review by commenting on the 4,000 plus people who gave this book one star. Some mentioned, there is no way a 27 year old male could be a billionaire, know how to fly a helicopter and have had 15 sex slaves. Here is some news to you, there is possibility there is one or two people out there in this world who are 27 and billionaires, Have sex slaves, have their own companies, who are older than their years, and who can produce multiple orgasms for a virgin. Saying it doesn't exist is saying the air is filled with honey.

This book is FICTION. FICTION is just a story concocted by an author with a vivid imagination. Is Harry Potter real? Twilight? NO, it's all made up mumbo jumbo put out there for our enjoyment. With that said.......

I think this book is well written and a page turner. It's as if your being privy to a dark hidden secret, but the real basis of this book is not the S&M, but it's the romance, desire and sexual awakening of Christian and Ana. I think this is a great and entertaining book and I'm looking forward to reading the entire trilogy. If your a sexual prude, I would not recommend this book to you, but if you're one that likes a book that is so far off the beaten path, then this book is for you. Try a sample and download it to your Kindle, nook or iBook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifty Shades of Grey, January 13, 2013
Very fast service. Great gift. Large print made this a big hit. I would recommend tis book to any adult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifty Shades of Gray, January 13, 2013
The book arrived in excellent shape. It was a very good value. I am pleased with my purchase. I would recommend this vendor.

3.0 out of 5 stars 50 Shades..., January 11, 2013
coco1101 (Dallas, TX, USA) - See all my reviews
Everyone I know - practically - was reading this book... except my Bookclub girlfriends... So I grabbed a copy too. It's OK, not exactly an intelligent literary accomplishment but it was amusing...

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, January 11, 2013
was the end of the series and a must have since the other two copies were great thank you so much great series and great price

3.0 out of 5 stars it was ok, January 9, 2013
after hearing friends talk about this book and well the rest of the world i thought well i need to check it out. i mean i haven't been much of a reader and i need to start and get back into it. why not start with a gaurenteed hit. i really wasn't into it that much. i felt like she was manipulated and abused in a way. not physically. but emotionally. he would come in and make her feel good and then leave and she would cry and feel a lone and he would return make her feel good and then leave again idk just not for me. any way i guess read it and decided just not what i thought when i heard about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Topic Starter, January 7, 2013
This is my first amazon review and after reading a lot of the reviews on here looks like many were written by literature book worms. Well no wonder you didn't like it! Great book series, light reading. I usually don't get sucked into the pop culture craze of books, etc so I was on the fence about it. But I purchased it on iBooks and read all 3 in a week. I think it means something different to anyone who reads it. I think the point here is a woman wrote a book, she is a TV exec, and she was inspired to take something "ordinary to extraordinary" and in my opinion she did. She was inspired to write and she hit success. I do think some of the dialogue was not true "American" but I let it slide. Characters were odd and it sucked me in. ThenSex was sex. No surprises there. Anyway great easy read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Such a disappointing end, January 7, 2013
I just knew that this book was going to end in a wedding and Christian saying he loved her too. Ahhh such a hopeless romantic!

‹ Previous | 11509 1510 15112821 | Next ›

Fifty Shades of Grey (The Fifty Shades Trilogy)
Fifty Shades of Grey (The Fifty Shades Trilogy) by E. L. James (Paperback - April 3, 2012)
$15.95 $8.97