Published on April 11, 2012 by Steven from Louisville

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as The Chase, but its fine, pron a 3.5
Published 20 days ago by DJ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars It is pretty good, but definitely is like most Christian artists right now, April 11, 2012
This review is from: Fighter (MP3 Music)
As I said in a comment on the first review - I lean more towards 4 stars. It is pretty good, but definitely is like most Christian artists right now: all migrating toward the K-Love station version of themselves (like Toby Mac, etc...). He was right - it is not quite as hard hitting, rapping. There just is not the global, super power rock / rap / alt scene for Christian artists yet. So, they all seem to be copying the one song or two of theirs that gets 'air time'. I am more looking forward to TFK's new album, but glad I bought this one. It is good, and high production quality. At the same time, some songs sound almost the same - but I have only listened to it once so far. God Bless! Steven

4.0 out of 5 stars Well done., April 24, 2012
This review is from: Fighter (Audio CD)
A few weeks ago Manafest released his sixth studio album, eighth project overall, "Fighter." I first got into Manafest when he dropped "Glory" and after that I was hooked. I had the perfect blend of Hip Hop and Rock. However last year he released "The Chase" in which the Rock portion had a bigger influence on the overall sound. Because of this I was a little skeptical to give it a listen, and sadly I still haven't listened to it. After listening to this album I have to say how impressed I am at how smooth it sounds. So I'm definitely going to go give "The Chase" a chance.

Granted this project isn't perfect. There's only eleven total tracks, with track eleven being an acoustic version of track six "Never Let You Go". So there's really only ten songs total. On top of that there were two or three songs that I felt were very... cliche. However, even these songs aren't enough to bring this album down that much.

We start off with the amazing song "Fighter." This was the same song he used in the trailer for the album, and I was eager to hear the full version. The energy and positivity in the song is just unexplainable. When I first heard it, it was like six in the morning and I had to contain myself from not singing it out loud. Track two "Throw It Away" is one that I could have done without. I just didn't find anything impressive about it. Track three "Pushover" picks up the pace again. While not being a favorite of mine off the album, it's definitely a fun track filled with a lot of energy.

At this point I started thinking of a review I had previously read for this album. The writer still labeled him as Rap/Rock, I have to disagree. If he keeps this style it's more Rock/Rap. He's making Rock music with Hip Hop influence, and he's doing it with ease. If anything, the only song that really sounds like his old Hip Hop sound is track five "Come Alive." If you took out/toned down the guitar, kept the drums and his vocals, and maybe added some computer generated sounds it would sound like some of his old material.

Most of the fan reviews have said that their main problem is the overall sound doesn't seem to change from one song to the next, and I can completely understand that. I felt like that my first play through. In reality though, it isn't a bad album. It's short, energetic, and it gets the message across. It isn't overdone, and in this case I feel like that kind of helped in the end.

Standout Songs: "Fighter", "Human" & "Prison Break"

Overall Score: 8/10 - The fact that I was skeptical and it managed to grip me as much as it did, is a testament to how well done this album is. Would I prefer he go back to his Hip Hop roots? Absolutely! That doesn't mean I can't enjoy this for what it is though. I feel if he maybe put in a little more time then I might have enjoyed it even more. I say this because this album came out just ten months after The Chase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manafest Rocks the House With Fighter, April 15, 2012
This review is from: Fighter (Audio CD)
I could not disagree more with most of my peers here. Unlike some others, I came into fighter with few preconceived notions, as I had never listened to a Manafest album all the way through. That's because I never owned one. I really wanted to buy a Manafest album when Epiphany first hit, but I never got around to it. Of the songs I listened to on youtube though, I loved.

I have heard a few of Manafests newer material, and I thought his rock stuff was somewhat weak. But he kinda fell off my radar for quite a while and I never did get around to purchasing one of his albums.

Weak rock is absolutely 100% NOT the case on Fighter. This album absolutely blew me away, and unlike on songs like Renegade, Manafest did not come off sounding like a TFK wannabe, but rather he has his own unique style and sound. It's true that there is very little rapping on this album, but even so he mixes up his vocals quite well and there is a lot diversity in the way he sounds, speaks and sings. I was even absolutely floored by some songs, and he and his new band rock with the best of them. Many songs have punch and a deep meaning as well. The production on this album is through the roof, and each and every song sounds extremely tight.

I actually liked EACH AND EVERY song on this album. There is not a single weaklink in the entire whole. A fact I couldn't even say about Demon Hunter's True Defiance. As such, I give this album 5 out of 5 Stars.

You can read more of my opinion of each song and the album as a whole at my website at watchusplaygames dot com.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as The Chase, but its fine, pron a 3.5, June 21, 2014
This review is from: Fighter (Audio CD)
This album is better than a 3, but its not quite a 4. I liked it a lot better than it would appear. Manafest has really started focusing on the cruchy rock sound as opposed to rap or even nu-rock. That's fine. His rap has always been kinda decent, and though it was always an interesting sound, I felt his collaborations with TFK made his rock better. The album has a lot more clean singing and ballads. The issue with this album in the generic songs, but many of them are catchy, and he has a good voice, so it carried the entire project. Songs I really liked are Human, Never Let You Go, and Come Alive. All are catchy and you find yourself mumbling the words as he sings them. Solid album, a 3.5 rating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep Fightin Manafest, March 15, 2013
This review is from: Fighter (MP3 Music)
This album wasn't bad but I like his previous stuff alot better. Mo' rock & ballads than actual rap. You still my dawg Manafest!

3.0 out of 5 stars Manafest has done better, April 11, 2012
This review is from: Fighter (Audio CD)
Manafest has definitely gotten away from his rap roots, and settled into to some crunchy rock on this album. He has a really sweet ballad (Never Let You Go)that is musically different than what you would expect from Manafest. Unfortunately, the rest of the album tends to highlight generic, tired guitar riffs that sound much the same on every song. Once I listened to the entire CD, I thought to myself "meh" and put it back into the case. Dont know if it will come out again or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars manafest is awesome, April 11, 2012
This review is from: Fighter (MP3 Music)
I love all of his music and in this one he did stray away from rapping but it is still a good album. I would say BUY IT NOW

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, February 28, 2014
This review is from: Fighter (Audio CD)
This album is a nice change up from the typical rock genre. It's a cool blend of rock and hip-hop and is a really good album from top to bottom. It's a nice variety if you are looking for something different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Great Music, January 20, 2014
This review is from: Fighter (MP3 Music)
Manafest has some great music and this album doesn't disappoint. I enjoyed it and would highly recommend it as well as 'Glory' and 'The Chase'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good offering from Manafest, December 9, 2013
This review is from: Fighter (Audio CD)
Good offering from Manafest. Not exactly one of my favorites though. That's all I have to say about this recording.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Fighter
Fighter by Manafest (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies