5.0 out of 5 stars yeah! Take that!
Published 7 months ago by Russell Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay.. here's the deal
I know this game has gotten HORRIFIC reviews across the board, but to be perfectly honest, its not THAT bad.

I will say that almost everything about this game isnt really that great. Generic fighters, terrible story, hardly any game modes
Published 11 months ago by Nathan Carter

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay.. here's the deal, December 14, 2013
This review is from: Fighter Within (Video Game)

but the one thing in this game that actually works is the fighting. I think the fighting is extremely fun and its even more fun if you got a friend. The motion controls actually work and I found myself having a lot of fun.

After a few fights, I wasnt tired but I did start to sweat. After a few more I was beat so for those who are looking for a game to put into your workout routine, you may want to think about checking this out.

I wouldnt pay $60 for this, but if you find it on sale for cheap, I would absolutely recommend it if you want a game to play at parties or if you want to. At the very least, rent it first and see how much you enjoy it

5.0 out of 5 stars yeah! Take that!, April 15, 2014
This review is from: Fighter Within (Video Game)
YOU are the controller. My wife wanted this, of all things... It might as well be marketed as a fitness game since it provides a better workout than most of those things can. You have to punch, you have to block, bending forward, bending backward, don't forget to kick like you're the Muscles from Brussels... And if you can go 3 matches without a break, your doing well... My 9 year old nephew loves it... He managed 5 matches before he was worn out... I wanted him worn out... Ah, sweet peace... Seriously, there is no option for using a controller, even in 2 player mode... They just warn you to be careful not to hit or kick your opponent... but where's the fun in that... just kidding...
Controlling the menus takes some practice too, but once you get it down... This is a well done game...

4.0 out of 5 stars Gotta Love Fighting Games, December 6, 2013
Mark O'Donnell (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fighter Within (Video Game)
I have always been a huge fan of fighters, since the arcade introduced Punch-Out when I was a kid so I think I was going into the game with the right attitude. This game has almost unanimously been getting bad reviews, but there is a common thread where critics expect more out of this game than what fighter game is meant to deliver. The game delivers a great heart pounding fight, especially if you are playing against a fast opponent. It's fun, and multiple rematches are inevitable.

I bought the XBox One for the Kinect. Period. Using our bodies as an interface controller is not only the future, but it allows us to bring UX up to human scale. I have this game projected up to life scale on a 16ft wall, and it's a blast. You're not going to learn any martial arts here, but if you know how good an hour of non-stop combos and kicks is for your heart, you may want to give it a try. Honestly, who would have thought a video game would provide fun exercise?

I noticed the Kinect movement recognition is very responsive, and special moves are amply spelled out in training. Learn the moves just like in any game, don't take it to seriously, and it will be a fun experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, November 23, 2013
Dargon (Huntsville, AL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fighter Within (Video Game)
I wasn't expecting a lot out of Fighter Within, and although it isn't awesome it is better than I expected. I can throw fast punches and it will recognize that (Wii and older kinect never would). Kicks work well too. I can reliably cover/block as well. As I learn more advanced combos my opinion may go up. It is quite a workout to play this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Work it baby!, March 10, 2014
This review is from: Fighter Within (Video Game)
I was a little worried this would be a "B" title game, and not enjoy it. For 20 bucks though, I wasn't too worried. This game was much better than I thought. Admittedly the story is kind of lame, but the workout from fighting is great. I was exhausted after to rounds my first time. Once you start using combos and getting the hang of it this game is a cardio nightmare. Great exercise!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, January 30, 2014
This review is from: Fighter Within (Video Game)
1 of the only xbox connect games available and you get your workout. After 7 min in game mode, I am beat

4.0 out of 5 stars Great so far, June 19, 2014
This review is from: Fighter Within (Video Game)
Played this a total of bout an hour and even though the graphics aren't great the gameplay makes up for it in a big way. I've gotten a workout every time I've played it so far. For the price I paid for it it was an awesome deal and I recommend this to anyone looking for a straight forward fighter game

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good,but too many HIGH STREAK COMBOS!, January 29, 2014
This review is from: Fighter Within (Video Game)
This is a good game to test the brand new Kinect.This game has good characters and good sets of moves.The good moves are hard to do at times,so just punch and kick and you're done.

I recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock 'em Sock 'em, May 21, 2014
This review is from: Fighter Within (Video Game)
Yes, the story and voice acting is horrendus in the single player mode, but if you want a party game for Kinect this is a great value for $20!

A large variety of characters is immediately available both male and female. I recieved this game yesterday and had a group of about 8 over to try it out and we had a lot of fun. All I could think of was the classic Rock 'em Sock 'em robots applied to a virtual platform, but even so there are combos and prompts that allow variety and excitement throughout the match.

Any skill level can win a match thanks to the various combos and opportunities for counters. A young lady who had never played video games before kicked my tail pretty handily in our first bout! It allowed for more fun and participation from everyone there. If your room is set up properly, this game really funtions well with the new Kinect technology and does an outstanding job of detecting your moves immediately.

I strongly suggest giving ample space. At a minimum, give a 10ft wide and 15 ft long space from the camera and run the Kinect set up twice. It will function just fine with less, but the more space the better. This Kinect is a little different from the 360 predecessor as it is needs more space behind the players to detect full body movements and depth from the camera. The technology in this new connect is far and above the previous model.

Given the current price here, I absolutely recommend a purchase at $20 if you have an Xbox One and intend on utilizing these sorts of games at parties or get togethers regularly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as the reviews say, but not for everybody., December 11, 2013
This review is from: Fighter Within (Video Game)
I bought this mainly for my 8 & 5 year old boys. They both love the game!

First of all, this is not a game for everybody. If you are a serious hardcore gamer or, athletically challenged, this is not for you. If you are expecting a SF/MK/VF/DOA/etc type experience, then this is not for you. If you like party games, or have kids, then this is great!

It's a basic one-on-one fighting games with punches and kicks that you could actually do in real life. They have special moves, counters, and throws to keep things interesting, but they are somewhat disconnected from the move in real life. Hard to replicate jumping off a pole into a flying kick in your living room.

I consider this to be more of a cage fighting type game. More complex than boxing, but less than the typical fighting game. You get quite a bit of a workout with the range of motions required by the game.

The menu is pretty basic, and but navigating and selecting characters via Kinect is challenging almost painful. I did it a few times but when I couldn't figure out how to slide to the characters that were off the screen. I switched to the controller which is much faster IMO. I found out later that it was a fist and drag motion (help maybe?). Nevertheless, I'm not a purist and can live with using the controller and kinect for a game.

The game play itself....
It's not perfect at mapping your moves, but for the most part it gets it right. It is much better than the original Kinect, and I suspect can still get better. Left/right high punch, left/right low punch, left/right kick, block up/down, move forward/backward, duck, jump, and charge for special moves. It gets all of that right. The issues come in when you try and do moves faster than the game lets you. The game doesn't map to your speed, so if you punch or kick too fast, the animations fall behind. The game doesn't buffer your moves. You have to pace yourself with the game and avoid going into flailing mode. I really think you have the learn the game to get the most out of it.

I know the ratings are bad for this game which means the price will drop quickly. However, it would be a fun game to get over the holidays for the kids or parties.

Fighter Within
Fighter Within by UBI Soft (Xbox One)
$39.99 $13.61