5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best figure drawing books
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:21 Mins
I never thought I would be able to see or own an actual copy of this book, ever.

Thanks to Titan Books, this book is finally getting reprinted. The wait is over.

Published on June 7, 2011 by Parka

2.0 out of 5 stars Not "worth" it
I don't agree with all the hype for this book. Although I find it an attractive collection of art nouveau female figures (and this is accepting the poor printing quality), it is not a guide to anatomical drawing at all! Since feeling let down by this book, I have found great satisfaction with Drawing the Female Figure by Joseph Shepherd. There you actually have details on...
Published 3 months ago by Mary Wendell

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best figure drawing books, June 7, 2011
Length:: 1:21 Mins

The production quality of the book is excellent. It's a 208-page hardcover that's slightly larger than A4 size. The drawings are reproduced very clearly. If you've seen the PDF copies that are floating on the internet, this is exactly that except in physical copy, right down to the number of words per line.

I love the text of the book. The tone is very encouraging and the instructions are always clear. The examples are beautifully illustrated. It's easy to follow along and learn.

This is a highly recommended book on figure drawing, a classic that gets mentioned frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best, February 22, 2004
Ganapathy Subramaniam (Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India) - See all my reviews
I wish there were 10 stars.
Having stood the test of time, it was first published in the 30's, this book teaches you all that is there to figure drawing.
Andrew Loomis is one of those rare, gifted artists who can articulate as clearly and truthfully using words as he could with lines.
Using very simple tools to define the structure of the human body, essentially the skeleton as the foundation, he teaches how fantastically easy it is to draw the human body from any angle, in any action, and of any type.
This is not one of those 'feel good' books that teaches you to do 'yet another thing'. This is a grand text. absolutely dedicated work, you can see the earnestness in Loomis' anxious words about getting across the details to the reader.
Kimon's 'Natural Way to Draw' is a classic in a different way, where he asks us to discover almost everything. Loomis gives us the crutches. I think a combination of these two approaches can be terrific. thats what I am finding out.
It has been very fullfilling , since I can pick up the artifacts of drawing the figure, and infact drawing anything for that matter, Loomis will lead you to explore and expand, the techniques are amazingly simple, yet absolutely powerful.
He reiterates to see the structure beneath anything, the skeleton, and how it aids us in construction.
Note: the book is out of print, but several online versions are scattered across the Net.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need is Loomis!, April 13, 2004
Tex (Hyde nr. Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This book left me speechless. There's not enough stars in the ratings for me to express to you just how great this book is. And the strange thing is, no matter in which branch of art you work, you'll feel as though Andrew Loomis wrote this book just for you.
If you're serious about your art, be you illustrator, comic book artist, animator, fashion designer, or even a games designer, you need to have this book in your library. The text and illustration work together to take you on an odyssey of discovery, a thousand and one techniques that will make your life easier, and your art so much better.
The original was printed in 1943 and has come to be recognised as the bible of figure artists. Although it's out of print now, you can still find a number of great condition reprints. Get one! Keep it by the drawing board and you'll never again be stuck on how to draw a figure, work with horizon lines, and place figures in space so that they relate perfectly to each other and their surroundings.
Ignore the price and get one ASAP. Don't eat for a couple of weeks if needs be, but acquire a copy of this book as soon as you find one.
I'm off to read mine now. You guys don't know what you're missing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase of the year!, June 1, 2011
This review is from: Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (Hardcover)
As probably many others who purchased this book I was working off of the PDFs that are readily available online. When I saw they were reproducing this book I immediately pre-ordered and was anticipating the date it would ship. When it arrived I was blown away by the quality and how good it felt in my hands. I am not one to buy a book just to display, but this is one beautifully crafted book. As others mentioned it is worth every penny and so much more, especially to those of us who have never actually seen the original and are working off of scrapped together PDFs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny--and probably more!, June 1, 2011
This review is from: Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (Hardcover)
Andrew Loomis books are highly recommended by so many professional artists, and now we have one of his most famous books back in print! The book is large enough to give excellent full page spreads of Loomis' beautiful artwork and very helpful writings, yet it's not too big that it's uncomfortable to sit down and read through. I highly recommend this to any mature aspiring artist and even if you're already a pro, this is still a necessary book for your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unsung classic, November 19, 2004
Everybody that does or aspires to draw the human figure from imagination, not particularly from live study, should run, not walk, to get this book. A long time secret classic for people working with cartoons, concept art, character design and so forth. If you think you are covered because you got Burne Hogarth's books on the human figure, think again. Not to dis Hogarth, but this one is the real thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, May 31, 2011
This review is from: Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (Hardcover)
I have copies that instructor's have given me and I've downloaded the PDFs. But nothing beats this book. The quality of the book is great. This book is a classic. I'm glad they've reprinted it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every comic book artist needs this book, June 19, 2011
Eric (PROVIDENCE, UT, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (Hardcover)
This is possibly the best illustrator reference book I've found for drawing the figure from multiple camera angles. There aren't that many books out there covering bird's eye and worm's eye planar vantage points with human examples, but finally this classic explores this area with excellence. Be aware that Loomis's book is an illustration book and not so much an anatomy book, although the drawings and muscles definition are top notch. This book should be absolute core reference material for all aspiring comic book artists. It's huge book, with tons of great drawings, classic models and quality information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply: WOW!, August 3, 2011
This review is from: Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (Hardcover)
What a great book. I read somewhere this book is the ultimate authority on figure drawing. I was intrigued so I bought it, since I need to learn how to draw people.

When I got the package, I was already expecting "the ultimate authority" in terms of content. I was definitely not disappointed, but more so, the book blew me away! Andrew Loomis was absolutely amazing! The book teaches you everything you need to draw people, including skeletal structure and muscles! Well written, too.

The only thing this book does not focus on enough is the face and hands, but there's another book devoted to that by Loomis. I'm still waiting for that one to be released... somewhere in October 2011, if I remember correctly.

Two thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A classic is available to us young folk., August 29, 2011
This review is from: Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (Hardcover)
I know Peter, Bjorn and John don't care about the young folks, but I am exceedingly (superlative worthy!) glad that Loomis books are available once again. I had previously printed the PDF's floating around out there and put them in a binder.

I have read reviews complaining about Loomis' style (which is great), saying it catered to a specific ideal. To that I say: BAH! Any aesthetic ideal can be used in conjunction with the principles Loomis teaches. His style is not only wonderful, but also meaningless. This isn't a book about how to draw like Loomis. It is a book containing powerful illustrative methods that can be utilized in illustrating a wide variety of figures.

I love this book.

Figure Drawing for All It's Worth
Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis (Hardcover - May 31, 2011)
$39.95 $22.57