Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now bgg

on September 25, 2011
First of all, I'm frankly surprised at people complaining about the price of this item. The next cheapest non-FiiO LOD I could find was $30 (the ZN7II from Zycable), and they continue to upwards of ten times the SRP of the FiiO L9. Not to mention that if you're purchasing an LOD for you iPod it means you've (presumably) already spent some money on an amp. In the audiophile community, FiiO has the reputation of making very decent products at VERY AFFORDABLE prices.

It's probably somewhat pertinent that I don't have a lot of money, so I haven't done any A-B testing with any other cables and can't compare it in that way.

Value is 5 out of 5. While I do care about sound, I'm skeptical about what effect the quality of 2.5 inches of cable is going to have on overall sound, and therefor I'm not willing to spend a lot of money on an LOD. There's a lot of argument on the subject, and given the price of LODs (and cables in general) there's a lot of evidence that a lot of people do believe there is a difference and are willing to pay for it. Perhaps if you have "Golden Ears" and a lot of high end equipment you'd be able to notice the difference, but I don't have any of those things. For that reason I'd rate this as a really great bargain.

Build Quality I rate at 4.5 out of 5. The cable is of much higher quality that the 3.5-3.5 connectors that come with the FiiO amps, with much more robust connectors and strain relief. Under normal use I don't foresee the L9 wearing out any time soon. As I said, I'm not of the opinion that the quality of 2.5 inches of wire really matters, so I'm not going to comment on that (plus, I don't have any real way of knowing without dissecting the cable). The points deduction is only because the cable seems stiffer than would be ideal, making it somewhat difficult to pair amp and iPod.

Using a FiiO E5, switching from using the headphone out to LO the difference was immediately apparent. Treble is more detailed and brighter, and the bass reaches deeper and has more impact than before and is also more controlled. The mids also have more body and are clearer. Plugging headphones directly into the headphone out on the iPod everything is muddy, and really there is no comparison to using the L9 and an amp. However, using this with a cheap amp like the E5 there are going to be some drawbacks, like the amp's ability to handle the current and drive your headphones without clipping. I did notice using the L9 with the E5 that there was a significant amount of clipping with some (but not all) tracks. Switching to the E11 the problem has been alleviated. This has to do with the amp, not the cable, but it's something people should be aware of.

Overall I rate the FiiO L9 5 out of 5 for it's value, decent quality, and immediate and obvious improvement in sound quality. Definitely recommended if you're looking for an inexpensive way to connect your iPod with a portable amp.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2012
I bought this a couple years ago with along with a Fiio e7. This was back when I had an iPhone 4 and the 30 pin dock connector was still in vogue. Move forward a couple years...and now there's this new fangled tech thing from Apple called a Lightning Port. Uh oh....

If you're willing to purchase the Lightning to 30 Pin Adapter, an accessory that seems way overpriced at first, I can happily report that the FiiO LODs work perfectly. So whether you have an iPhone 5, the 4th Gen iPad, the iPad Mini, or the new iPod Touch, the LOD will give you analog audio out. The Lightning to 30 Pin Adapter from Apple (and make sure you buy OEM or you may lose audio out functionality) has a built in Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) that will convert the all digital signal from the Lightning port into an analog audio stream that will be passed out through the FiiO LOD to an external amp, etc.

As others have warned, just make sure you are buying the FiiO LOD from a reputable seller. Not all sellers on Amazon are selling the real make sure to check the reviews and store reputations. Same goes with the Apple Lightning to 30 pin Adapter...many of those sold on Amazon are not the real deal!!
on May 26, 2011
With the wide range of products offered by Fiio, this quality LOD is no exception. I wanted to have a 3.5mm LOD for my iPhone and I was about to purchase the Fiio L3. However, looking at the pics, The L9 has a lower profile and has the right angle 3.5mm plug. Great for my Vivid Technology V1 DAC/AMP. Matched with my HD600... heavenly. :-)

With the LOD in place, the sound quality is much better than the headphone output jack. I'm pleased with the setup and makes for a good looking setup without too much wire to deal with. I will be posting pics.

Shipping was fast and delivery was solid. The L9 came in a silver zip lock type plastic packaging. No extra stuff or extra packaging (ie boxes, plastics)

I would recommend for any audiophile looking for a nice way to rig up their portable HP amp setup. Prices good and better than Ebay.
review image review image review image
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2011
I'm just starting out stepping up my audio experience by investing in quality sound products such as this little connector. I'm not very picky with sound technical details that other people talk about. If it sounds good that's all I need and my idea of a top headset was in the $35 to maybe the $50 price range. It all seemed good enough to me. I'm sure my hearing is lacking with 30 years working in aviation and more than half of that on a flight line. Well my younger fellow workers educated me and worked on me to experience what a difference quality makes in my listening experience. An old dog can learn new tricks.

I purchased a set of Sennheiser HD 650 Audiophile Headphones and then a Fii0 E7 Headphone Amplifier to get serious about my listening experience. However, to make all this work at it's optimum I needed this little connector, and what a difference this little connector made. Some say it is expensive for a little connector, and maybe it is, but after investing what I already had, it really didn't seem that out of line to me for what I got.

This connector works with my iTunes Touches Gen 2 and 3 (I have one each), plus my iPod Class 160GB. As I said, I'm not much of a sound person and don't have the best hearing, but even I can tell the difference this connector makes. I tried the different connectors just to see if I had spent my money wisely and I'm more than satisfied that I did.

This connector is the perfect fit. I put my iPods and the E7 Amplifier back to back, then put the rubber band on them. I connect the two with this connector and it is just right, especially with the right angle male plug. Not too long and not too short. So the "bundle" is a little bulky together but a perfect combination for the sound you are getting and the connector adds very little to the bulk.

It brings your music alive again like you won't believe. I am also a big listener to audio books and material, and the audio is so much clearer and more pleasant to listen to, I wish I have done this sooner. If you invested in higher quality sound equipment, then don't stop short buy not including this little connector. It will make difference to your total experience.
on August 3, 2011
I bought this to get line out from my iPhone and I couldn't be happier with the results.
Fits my amp and iPhone setup perfectly and sound improvement was better than expected.
It removed most of the sibilance the iPhone produced and also increased the lower range making the bass sound fuller.

After adding this to my setup, it sounds better than using my laptop, I really recommend this to whoever wants to improve the sound of their setup.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2013
I used to use the headphone jack on my iPod 5th Gen to connect to my Fiio E12 amp. In doing this, I was simultaneously using 2 volume controls (one on the iPod and one on the E12), which clearly degrades the sound quality. Since getting the L9, there is an unmistakeable and distinct improvement in the purity of the sound I am getting from my headphones (Yuin PK1 and Sennheiser HD 598). I am not talking about a subtle difference. Trust me, you need one too. Otherwise, you will have no idea whatsoever how good your iPod setup can sound. Easily the best $10 investment I've ever made in my portable setup!
on December 26, 2011
I use this in tandem with my Fiio portable amp and while it does work, any sort of movment will create static interference on your music. This isnt a problem if all you plan to do is sit at your desk with this but if you want to use this while doing any sort of housework or travel then you may get interference. It is still one of the best pure line outs on the market so if you need it you need it.
on January 8, 2013
Simply put this cable connects directly from dock connector of a (now legacy) Apple Device to provide a cleaner, better analog signal that is then passed to a 3.5mm audio jack to used on a external amplifier of some kind. If the short length is adequate for the purpose, then this is best quality cable for the job. The cable is thick and well shielded, and connectors are angled which makes the cable more useful in a variety of setups.

However, if you have a new Apple Device with a Lightning Connector, this cable is unnecessary, even if you have an adapter for it. In this case I would suggest using the 3.5 mm jack on the device with Male/Male 3.5 mm cable, which gives good results without having to worry about extra adapters.

Just so you know why I am saying this, the Dock Connector has a pre-amp analog audio out. The Lightning Connector is all-digital, so there is no analog out of any kind. In the Lightning to Dock Connector Adapter, there is a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) that creates an analog signal for the Dock Connector. In my opinion, the addition of this DAC makes this setup unnecessary, possibly even providing worse quality than connecting the amplifier directly of the 3.5mm jack of the device.
on April 1, 2013
I've found that using the L9 has really improved the quality of sound from my iPhone. I am using it with a FiiO E11 portable headphone amp and could not be happier. It's a simple but effective way to get the best possible sound from your i devices. Before getting this LOD i was noticing a marked degradation in sound quality using the headphone jack into the line in of the amp. After adding the L9 the sound is crystal clear and completely unstrained. The price to performance ratio is a no-brainier. I use mine with an IPhone 4S inside an Otterbox Defender case and it fits perfectly. This setup even does a pretty good job of running a set of pretty inefficient. Sennheiser HD-600's when I am away from my desktop setup. With a more efficient set of cams you will be shocked at the quality. I've been very happy with FiiO so far and will be acquiring the E12 when it is available.
on June 27, 2012
I am a bit of an audiophile. The iOS devices have always had beautiful sound, but running through the line out cuts makes for WAY better audio experience when you are using, for example, a PA system.

Please note, the line out provides un-amplified audio. It is really quiet. It needs an external amplifier (your car stereo for example) to boost the signal. The reason this is so good though is that each amplifier adds a little more distortion to the audio, so the less amplifiers you have to use, the better. This line out bypasses the amplifier in iOS devices.

FiiO makes a great line of products, and I would definitely recommend any of their line out docks. However beware of imitations, I have heard it is a pretty nasty problem. Luckily, mine was genuine.