Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: FileMaker 12 Developers Reference: Functions, Scripts, Commands, and Grammars
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 24, 2012
I am an intermediate developer. That means I can 'get the job done' but not as efficiently if I knew a few 'tips and tricks'. This book is fantastic. It presents some pretty basic stuff, (like what is a layout) but also goes into intermediate topics like creating multi table relationships between table occurrences.

This book is 'new best friend' when I need a FMaker reference.
on September 25, 2012
This reference is full of useful information organized in a way that it is easy to find and use. Believe it or not, this volume is better than the previous developer reference for FM version 9. This book is essential for any serious FileMaker developer. My only regret is that the binding doesn't allow the book to lay flat on a desk. It really takes two hands to thumb through the pages. I just wish it could lay flat on the desk and allow my hands to do FM development on the keyboard.
on June 30, 2013
I'm really enjoying the book and associated software. It definitely covers more than the Filemaker documentation, in a very well alid out, very user-friendly format that gives you the opportunity to get in-synch with the product if you are new to it.

Highly Recommend.
on May 16, 2015
I'm not sure what it might be missing because I'm actually using Filemaker Pro 13, and 14 just came out, but this and "Filemaker Pro 13 The Missing Manual" are my go-to resources. Although this book is really just a reformulated version what's on-line from filemaker (like the "fmp13_scripts_reference.pdf") there is added value here, as frequently this is more understandable, if pretty dry.
on April 16, 2014
I used to program databases many years ago using dBase. After about 25 years of no coding I started using FileMaker 13. At the time there were no 13 books so I purchased this one.

It is a good book. Good overview of how many of the commands and functions work. Is it perfect for everyone....no. Advance users will think it is too basic and beginning users will think it is too advanced.

However, if you are a beginning user, you will need a book like this to be able to get filemaker to do what you want.

Personally I would have preferred the book to go into more depth
on November 11, 2012
I couldn't get along without the FileMaker 9 version of this book. Now the FileMaker Pro 12 version adds mini-primers, XML and External SQL Sources (ESS) information, Applescript integration, and more. This edition adds information about which features became available with which FileMaker version, which is especially useful to me.
The book is organized in a manner that makes it easy and fast to look up syntax and parameters of script steps, calculation functions, and other FileMaker features.
on January 23, 2013
This is a really awesome book. I'm in the process of developing our company's database, and this book has helped me take it from a simple solution of stored data to highly functional. I'm able to perform many aspects of my job so much better and more efficiently because of the stuff this book has helped me learn.

This is a reference, not a page turner narrative. There are other books for that. This is for finding out or refreshing yourself on how all the functions and scripts work.

Definitions, explanations, and examples of every function in Filemaker. I highly recommend this book.
on February 19, 2013
Better than FM's built-in Help. It won't teach you HOW to make FM programs, but it will give you that detailed knowledge about particulars.
on May 17, 2013
I'm too early in to it to give it five stars, but so far I like the flow of the instruction and think that it will help close some of my gaps in understanding Filemaker 12; specifically, how to develop it for use in my small business.

cabotcomponents.com -- shameless plug.
on December 14, 2013
This book is a true reference, not a "How To" or "Missing Manual". It is like having a language dictionary right beside you while you are working.
This is my first programmable database project in over ten years and FileMaker is all new to me.
This book has been an excellent resource to help me over the bumps when scripting and using calculation functions.
I am having fun and learning new methods and tricks every day.