Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on January 1, 2013
I recommend this wonderful book. I have quite a bit of experience using Filemaker, an application for which I have great admiration. Filemaker is about the easiest relational database available. It doesn't take much effort to create something really useful, but Filemaker is also a very deep and polished application. You can explore deeper and deeper into this cave if you choose and you will be rewarded at every step for having done so. But you need a guide beyond the Help system built into the app. My first preference for a guide into Filemaker software is the excellent world of video courses available by subscription on Lynda.com and VTC.com (VTC primarily for John Mark Osborne's wonderful Filemaker video series). But sometimes a book can take you places even the videos do not. And that is the case with this great book by Susan Prosser and Stuart Gripman. For example, I have never felt the need to learn how to do Custom Menus or even Security and Privilege sets, but now that I am going to put some of my Filemaker databases on our company's server, I thought it time to do so. This book has taught me exactly how to do these two things - and now I can do something I could not do last week. Learning is always hard work and it is important that your teacher lead you in baby steps that are perfectly connected and result in success. I love the examples in this book and the fact that you can download the software sample databases in the examples for free (the "missing CD" -get it?) from the publisher's website and follow along with the instruction. The writing is clear and precise. I find I am not running into typos or missing steps. Someone has really reviewed the instructions before this book was released to make sure the instructions were complete. Just for your information, I go back with Filemaker to version 3.0. I have even attended two annual Filemaker Developer Conferences in Phoenix and and Orlando. I am a Filemaker "enthusiast" but I work by myself. I don't know anyone else who even uses Filemaker so I am totally dependent on outside instructions, but I use Filemaker every day. I write stuff for our law firm and Filemaker is an essential core to our practice. Don't be put off by the dumb name of this application "Filemaker" -- I put it up there with Word, Excel, and Photoshop as some of the best software ever written for the computer. This book can help you master Filemaker Pro 12 (even Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced) and belongs on your shelf!
22 comments25 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2013
The authors realise you're a smart person who has simply not used this software or a database before - they tell you in plain English what to do with each feature.
on September 29, 2012
I'm a lightweight user of Filemaker Pro - a database for a couple of small businesses that I own and as a research tool. I'd more or less reached the view that there wasn't much more that I needed to know about Filemaker as it was doing everything I wanted it to, but I got a review copy to see if there was more that I could learn.

Alas there is a lot more I could learn.

There is a lot of information in the book - too much to be honest for my needs, but it is well structured and you can easily skip the bits that are too technical for your needs at the moment.

My small business databases were based on the templates that Filemaker provides, and they never quite worked for me. I hacked them a bit, tried to get them to talk to each other, and finally settled on a solution that was usable if not enjoyable. Suffice to say I've now adjusted the templates so that they work like I expect they should - wasn't easy, but a mix of reading the book and playing around got me there.

I think of myself as being pretty computer literate (one of my small businesses is a boutique software company), and Filemaker gave me everything I needed to make the software work better for me... and a whole lot more as well.

If you've invested in buying a copy of Filemaker then you'd be a mug to not invest in this book unless you already know everything there is to know about this powerful database.
on February 28, 2013
Really is the "missing manual" that should have been in the box. Great for me, who hasn't built a FileMaker database in about 20 years and great for my husband, who is new to the software.
on February 9, 2013
Wouldn't have updated from V 9 without buying this book. I keep a copy at the office and at home. Just a good all around resource to jog the memory.
on May 14, 2013
Database manuals are by nature are complex as are the databases they cover. I am new to Filemaker (have some experience in other database programs) but found the manual covered the topics in a logical manor, easy to read and contained sufficient examples, screen shots etc to convey the technical nature of the workings of Filemaker. I have read the complete book and have dogeared many pages as a reference as I develop new components. Book highly recommended.
on November 24, 2012
Although this manual is packed with info it is all but impossible to access the info with the weak index system. Very disapointed in the structure of the digital version. I visited the paperback version and it is much easier to work with.
0Comment11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2012
I volunteer for a small nonprofit organization that needed a database. I also needed database software for my own online movie business.

While researching various software packages, I downloaded Amazon's sample from FileMakerPro12: the Missing Manual. The book's opening pages persuaded me that FileMakerPro12 (FMP for short) would do the job. I then ordered the software and the book, which I downloaded to my iPhone.

Although FMP has been around a long time, I had never used it. While the program is user friendly, it's also complex and somewhat intimidating at first. My approach to mastering any sophisticated technology product is to combine trial-and-error with studying a manual.

I had successfully used other books in the O'Reilly "missing manual" series. I therefore expected a lot from this one, and I was not disappointed. The guide covers the subject in a clear, systematic way, mixing in subtle humor that was frosting on the cake.

Reading a book with many illustrations and cross references makes iPhone reading a bit more difficult than having a printed book in hand. Still I was able to keep track of where I was, and I found the illustrations helpful.

I've now been using the software for about a month, and I believe that FMP12: the Missing Manual greatly sped up my mastery. The software's Help material also comes in handy; the two resources make a solid instructional package.

I definitely recommend the Missing Manual to anyone who wants to learn FMP12.
on June 30, 2013
Lives up to its title. Written in a very informative and standardized format, for newbie or veteran. Gives you plenty of info and software to learn FileMaker 12. Only 1 of a few books available that adequately cover this great software!
on October 16, 2012
Easily searched reference and clearly written, succinct guide to the latest major upgrade of FMP. Solid documentation on virtually every topic, liberally illustrated with useful screenshots and examples makes it the best reference on FMP. As with every MM book, additional downloadable content is a major plus.