Filters Hi all,
can anyone say what size of UV filters does this canon sx30is use?
58mm or 67mm? do you need an adapter to use external filters?
asked by scorpio on December 27, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
votes
Scorpio,

The SX10, SX20 and SX30 Canon Super Zooms do not have a standard thread on the end of the lens barrel. It is a bayonet type of thread designed for the quick changing of a Canon lens hood which comes standard with the SX10 & 20 but is optional with the SX30.

Some people have been screwing 58mm filters directly to the lens barrels on these cameras, but the threads do not match. They are basically wedging the filter on. This does not sound like a good practice to me.

A better way to add a filter to one of these cameras is to get a filter adapter that has the bayonet mount on the barrel end and standard filter threading on the other end for attaching the filter. Both Canon and third parties make these types of adapters.

The Canon adapter (FA-DC67A) is listed on page 41 of the manual as an optional accessory. This adapter has more of a "lip" for the lens end, resulting in a larger diameter and thus requiring a 67mm filter. Do a Google search on the above number to see an Amazon link with a good photo. (Amazon would not let me post a link in this note, possibly because it is not a current item.)

There are a couple of third party adapters that are more tube like and are designed to accomodate a 58mm filter. One is from Lensmate (Google it) and the other appears to be by Janco and is sold by Amazon. Here is an Amazon link with a photo of the adapter.

58mm Filter Adapter for CANON PowerShot

So, to answer your questions: 1) Yes you need an adapter if you want to avoid a thread mismatch between the lens barrel and filter. 2) The size of the filters needed will be determined by with adapter you buy.

As of this writing, every site I checked shows the Canon adapter out of stock. I could not even find a listing in the Canon Store. I do not know if it has yet to come to market or if they discountinued it or if it is just temporarily out of stock.

The Lensmate is more expensive than the Janco, but it appears to be better quality. The Lensmate is made from a softer non metal material. They claim that was done to reduce the chance of damaging the lens barrel threads. I went with the Lensmate because of good experiences with their product on my previous camera. The current adapter works great with my SX30.

Be aware that 67mm filters that fit the Canon adapter are more expensive than the 58mm filters that fit the third party suppliers. Lensmate does not recommend stacking 58mm filters if you want to avoid the possibility of vignetting. Maybe Canon went with the 67mm size to reduce the chances of vignetting with stacking or using thick filters, but this is only a guess on my part.

Keep in mind that the Canon Lens Hood shares the same bayonet mount as the above mentioned lens adapters, so that means you can not use the hood if the adapter is attached. Also, the Canon supplied lens cap can not be attached when using the lens adapter and filter since it goes "inside" the lens barrel. Lensmate sells a cap (with cord) that will attach to the 58mm filter. Amazon sells what looks like a very similar cap (but without the cord, which is listed separately) that should work if you go with the Janco adapter and filter.

Zeikos ZE-LC58 58mm Plastic Snap On Lens Cap (Black)

Since you mentioned that you are going to use a UV filter, check out the filter reviews on Lenstip dot Com. Click on the "Articles" tab near the top of the page, then look for the two UV Filter Review articles. I ended up going with the Hoya Super HMC 58mm UV filter.
BruceH answered on January 25, 2011

A
vote
67mm. Yes. Page 35 of the Getting Started manual (shipped in box) says that the filter adapter FA-DC67A is required for attaching a 67mm filter. I received this camera for Christmas and I have the guide in front of me right now.
Eli answered on December 30, 2010

A
votes
I do a lot of macro photography, mostly miniature orchids. To get the real potential out of the SX30 You need a get a few things, filters being one of them.
The adapter FA-DC67A allows for variety of improvements. I have added the following, both from a company that has really impressed me with the customer service they provide. 1st up is Digital Concepts +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch (67mm) and they fit exceptionally well in the adapter without adding much weight. Next is the 3-filter system also available from Davis max. It has a small hard shell leatherette box with a Daylight, Circular Polarizer and a UV filter.
Amazon Customer answered on April 16, 2011

A
votes
I have the same question. I believe the guide talks using and adapter (FA-DC67A) for attaching a 67mm filter but this not necessary means that the filter fo this camera is a 67mm. Every where they do offer a 58mm lens for this camera. Isn't it true?
Amazon Customer answered on January 21, 2011

A
votes
I'm getting really confused over this matter. Some people say its 58mm, some say 67mm. I would really appreciate if someone really help us out on this issue. Thanks
scorpio answered on January 24, 2011

A
votes
Thank you very much for your thorough explanation of this issue. I've been struggling with it since purchasing the camera and had been thinking of returning it. I will follow your recommendations re: purchasing the filter & adapter.
vshel answered on February 1, 2011

A
votes
I am using a 52mm UV filter on this camera. No problem. With a rubber hood there is a vignet problem at wide-angle. I ordered a 52mm to 67mm ring and a 67mm hood to take care of it.
Great camera!
L. Luft answered on February 7, 2011

A
votes
The reason people are saying 58mm is the after market adapters are in 58mm and the Canon adapter is 67mm. I have two 58mm after market adapters and keep a 58mm UV filter on my lens. Lens Mate makes the better one of the two I have, I had to do some custom fitting on the cheaper one I just received, but it does work. I have not experienced any vignet problem with the filters, but when I added a lens hood I do have it. I have not tried the Canon adapter and since my filters are already 58mm probably won't, but I would like to just so I can compare them.
Bee-Err Chop Carver answered on April 7, 2011

A
votes
Hello everyone,

I just bought a Canon SX30, and am thinking of buying filters for it. With Canon recommending use of 67mm adapter both in the product manual, and on their website: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx30_is#SuppliesAndAccessories , I guess I will buy the 67mm adapter available here: Canon FA-2DDC67A Filter Adapter for PowerShot SX30 IS, SX40 HS, SX50 HS . I guess I can use 58/62 mm filters as well, but with 67mm, I wont get vignetting even if I have 2 or 3 filters on plus hood.

Now, I dont want to spend too much on filters. Having bought the camera for just 200 dollars (some amazing deal at Sears this Sunday), I am willing to spend no more than 25-30 dollars on filters (plus 22 that would go on adapter + ~8 for 67mm cap). So here are my options:

1) Zeikos UV-CPL-FLD : Zeikos ZE-FLK67 67mm Multi-Coated 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD)

2) Bower UV-CPL-FLD : Bower 67mm 3PC Filter Kit W/case *BLACK*

3) Bower UV-CPL-ND4 -> 58mm here: Bower 58MM Digital Hi Resolution UV Cpl ND4 Filter Set f/ Digital and Video Cameras - Bower VFK58C (Just mentioning for reviews), while 67mm here: http://www.frys.com/product/6299890

4) Or I can also go with Vivitar, sold individually and not as a set on Amazon, but totaling to be ~25 dollar mark.

Which of these do you think would be a better option. Also, are these needed as well : Digital Concepts +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch (67mm) ??

Thanks for your replies.
Manik answered on April 20, 2011

A
votes
Thanks to BruceH! I ordered a set of lenses and filters that say they're for the Canon SX30is, thinking if an adapter were needed it would be either mentioned or included. Should've read this first! They're all 52mm, and none of them fit. Looks like I'll be returning them and starting over with the recommended adapter.
Photography fan answered on April 29, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›