5.0 out of 5 stars One of the top 5 albums of all time...
If i have ever seen an album being criminally underrated and overlooked not so much by the professional critics but mostly by Ministry's very own fan base it has got to be this absolutely stunning masterpiece called "Filth Pig".
Published on April 25, 2004 by Takis Tz.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 Stars
Published on May 24, 2001 by skulliest

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the top 5 albums of all time..., April 25, 2004
This review is from: Filth Pig (Audio CD)
Having come after the album known widely as "Psalm 69" which was considered to be Ministry's peak and a definitive album of the 90s, "Filth Pig" was misunderstood on a vast scale exactly because the fans simply expected yet another "Psalm 69" or an album that sounded like it, and instead got something entirely different. The thing was, and is, that "Filth Pig" was not only a tremendous leap in creativity for Ministry that totally outdid "Psalm 69", but also a massive leap in contemporary music as a whole.
Does this all sound a bit over the top, you think? Well, the "problem" with 'Filth Pig' was that its brilliance demanded very experienced listeners to appreciate what it was, and beyond that it demanded listeners able to listen with an open mind. In the world defined as the "rock scene" where any sing-a-long good lil riff will do, and where lyrics associated with scaringly low IQs, that album was basically ahead of its time and ahead of its target group alltogether.
"Filth Pig" is a tremendous soundscape, unbelievably multilayered and yet as emotional as any album you could ever hope for. And then some more.
This is by a light year, Ministry's finest moment. Jourgensen sounds like he's singing from inside a war-zone with a voice towering high over the heart-thumping beats and the the genius guitar drives by Baker who also proves on this record that he's easily one of the best rock composers to be found.
But as mentioned, what makes this album so eeringly effective, is that, while it's so complex, it does not fail on the emotional side, now that is an achievement only met among the best musical feats i know of. And i do know something having spent over 10 years working in record stores and having listened to over 15.000 albums in the process.
I would say, and feel perfectly on the safe side, that this is as close as you can come in describing darkness in musical terms as one could. Simoultaneously though, "Filth Pig" for all its intimidating sheer dark power that it comes at you with, it's still beautiful. Beautiful as all things that can't be fully grasped at an instant.
There was one aspect in this album (achieved as of yet, only in the immediately following "Dark side of the spoon") which made it undoubtedly unique among "heavy" albums. That was that it is not fast. There's none of the typical 200m/h riffs that you'd come across almost all other heavy albums. Instead, Ministry managed to put together riffs and multisampled beats and effects that are at times even incredibly slow, and yet so overwhelmingly heavy, you have the impression you're hearing a skyscraper collapsing and producing wondrous melodies while doing so. I know of no other group that can do this the way Ministry do, and i imagine (creating electronic music myself) that it's anyway a musical aspect hard to achieve because you need to walk an extremely tight rope while trying to maintain intesity and melodies through so many layers of sound.
In my opinion, along with the debut album of "Rage against the Machine", "Roots" from Sepultura, "Dummy" from Portishead", and "Mezzanine" from Massive attack, "Filth Pig" is with these 4 in the top 5 albums i ever heard. I could go on for another 50 paragraphs explaining and detailing why this is a masterpiece. No need. Find out for yourself. Those by the way that think that "Animositisomina" is a return to good things for Ministry, have no idea onsesoever what they're talking about.
As is the case with any group's finest moment it will be close to impossible for Ministry to outdo what they achieved with "Filth Pig". It would be like expecting Tool to outdo "Aenima" to state one example. If Ministry, who are anyway one of the greatest bands ever, manage in the future to outdo this album of theirs, we'll then be talking about one truly unbelievable achievement.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Ministry album, April 7, 2006
This review is from: Filth Pig (Audio CD)
This is their least popular album but easily my favorite. This really isn't an industrial album, its a rock album. But it still definitely sounds like Ministry. Their approach is still the same...repetitive grooves that give a hypnotic feel. But the difference is they combine this approach with a more organic sound via guitar, bass, and drums as opposed to samples. The drums on this album are awesome. Basically this record is just a big ugly slab of heaviness with a very dark and trippy feel. Not for everyone but I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need a focused and fast mind to appreciate this album, December 29, 2006
Duncan C. White (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Filth Pig (Audio CD)
That may sound like me just back-slapping myself but its just the cold hard facts.

The people complaining about this album remind me of the scene in the film Amadeus where the king tells Mozart that his music has 'too many notes'.

Theres literally thousands and thousands of conventional albums that are 'easy listening'. I myself like them. But when I am in a certain frame of mind I 'get' this album.

Please believe me when I say this album totally rocks, it is difficult but it is very rewarding. Though I concede its not for everyone.

A total disinterest in appealing to the masses and a laser focus on their craft. To me thats art, very few musical albums attain that label, but this one does.

5.0 out of 5 stars My personal favorite Ministry album, September 10, 2005
This review is from: Filth Pig (Audio CD)
I know that a majority of Ministry fans think this is the weakest and most off point Ministry album ever. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine begs to differ. To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the cd after the first listen, but the more I played it, the more I began to appreciate it. Just remember that this is all simply my personal opinion.

The fast paced and sometimes abstract guitar drilling of the earlier albums were traded in for a more concentrated and murky sound. The first track, "Reload," is the fastest song on the album and honestly one of Ministry's best songs ever. This album as a whole has more consistansy and substance than any other. There are no songs that are artsy collections of noise and samples. Every track is a real song, which is a good thing.

"Filth Pig" also has my favorite Ministry song ever... "The Fall." With it's ominous and epic guitars backed by the heart pounding drums. Not to mention Al's vocals that range from aggression, to apathy, and pure angst! And the piano chimes in masterfully at the perfect times. This is the most amazing construction Ministry has ever put forth.

I also like the revision of Bob Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay." It's the lightest Ministry song since "The Land of Rape and Honey" but it's filled with Al's trademark vocals and fits perfectly in this album. It's great to see a complete reworking of a song from a weak musical genre.

I don't give out 5 star reviews to any old album, so this is obviously a very accomplished album in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome To The Fall, August 6, 2005
This review is from: Filth Pig (Audio CD)
I have been a Ministry fan for years now. My first introduction to them was Psalm 69, "Jesus Built My Hotrod" was stuck in my head for months. And things kind of changed on this disc. When I first bought the disc I was horrified and didn't listen to it for weeks, but slowly I would take the album track by track and it actuall grew on me. "Reload" is a great aggression song, lyric-wise it's a little on the incoherent side, but the driving riff plays through. "Filth Pig" is like being on a train going to hell. Al's harmonica playing is great, with lyrics (if you can understand them) which are very powerful and meaningful. Out of all the songs though, stands the masterpiece, perhaps one of Ministry's finest recordings: "The Fall" I cannot express how beautiful this song is. Al's lyrics are just brilliant and sad about watching things go to hell with your friends and family. The piano during the chorus is beautiful and Al's melody which seems to chase the piano is great. I know it's not "The Mind is.." or "Land of Rape and Honey", but the rockier side of Ministry isn't all that bad. Take a chance on it, or at least "The Fall"

5.0 out of 5 stars Might not like it at first, but once you're there..., April 1, 2005
This review is from: Filth Pig (Audio CD)
This is one of my favorite albums ever recorded. Buy this, and Swans' Great Annihilator, and you've got some prime plastic. When I first bought this, I was expecting Psalm 69 II, and was pretty dissapointed...but that was about six years ago. If you come at this thing with an open mind, you won't believe the extremely weird, sleazy, heavy atmosphere of it. It's not the type of cd you put on at a party, and I couldn't see it in a club (except maybe the Lay Lady Lay cover), but it's got something else...you can drive to it, and it's great in headphones. The throbbing beats and shifting textures really sneak up on you, and once you understand it (pretty much when you notice how unbelievably great The Fall is), you'll have a disk that you'll never put down. I seriously would bet money on this ending up influencing alot of bands in the next 10 years or so. Either that, or the radio will continue to be bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ministry's answer to 'The Downward Spiral', May 3, 2003
"nagelfar" (vancouver, wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Filth Pig (Audio CD)
If you know of the industrial genre, then you probably know these two bands; 'Ministry' & 'Nine Inch Nails'. And regardless if you've heard the former and dislike them from other albums they've released, if you're one of the many who was weened on industrial through the likes of (admitedly latecomer) Trent Reznor & Nine Inch Nails with his album 'The Downward Spiral'. You will find a lot that will grow on you in this album. While 'Filthpig' & 'The Downward Spiral' are not comparable on a broad one-to-one basis, there is something atmospherically related. To me, if 'The Downward Spiral' were not a concept album with it's conveyance and feeling of exhaustion after its title track, and the slow paced moments fused into the slow quiet ones, it would be Filthpig. anyone who considers "The Downward Spiral" their favorite album, deserves it of themselves to give this a listen.
In my opinion, Ministry's other albums in the vein of 'Psalm 69' don't stand up, but then again, I do not consider myself a great fan of Ministry, I admire Al and all, yet albums such as 'Psalm 69' are a completely different style of industrial, with a common beat throughout each song, which is almost thrash dance or 'metal-techno.' however, 'Filthpig' has a kind of bitterness to it which almost wants to break any flow that could be made in each song, while still having a rhythm, and to me, that jarring feeling will always be what IS "industrial".
It is surely one of the harshest 'easy listening' albums I have ever heard, a 'thrash' style and a gloomy foreboding ambiance. Not for everyone, but for the lovers of the most antagonistic sounds that can be made, certainly.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 Stars, May 24, 2001
"skulliest" (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Filth Pig (Audio CD)
If I would have reviewed this CD when I first heard it, I would have given it one star. Since then Filth Pig has grown on me somewhat. Al and Paul, after a long rest from Psalm 69, return with a very slow and trudging disc. For the most part the noisy samples are gone, being replaced with a killer guitar tone. At first, I thought this was due to a lack of imagination from a musically bankrupt man (sorry Al) but since then, I've realized that it's an intentional ploy, and a very clever one. Listening to Filth Pig is like having a safe land on your head; it's crushing. 'Dead Guy' sounds like Helmet wearing barbed wire underwear with riffs that are reminiscient of 'So What' and 'Just One Fix'. 'Lava' reminds you of a lava flow with it's slow and destructive pace. Ministry even covers Bob Dylan's 'Lay Lady Lay' if you can believe it. However, this disc can be a hard listen due to how slow its pace is. It's an acquired listen. And if you are looking for a 'Jesus Built My Hotrod' on here, you're barking up the wrong tree. I don't think Al and Paul were looking to give anything to the mainstream on this one, and that's a good thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album Ever, July 14, 2007
This review is from: Filth Pig (Audio CD)
This highly controversial album is either loved or hated by its listeners. It's either embraced for not being Psalm 69 II, or despised for not being Psalm 69. What seems to get lost in the shuffle between the bickering as to whether this was a drug induced misstep, or a calculated move to divide the fan base, is the fact that this is a very solid album.

This album is not easy to digest, and I have to admit, that after one listen, I wasn't very impressed. Sure, songs like "Lava" and "Dead Guy" blew me away after the initial listen, but "Reload", the title track, and "Game Show" just didn't interest me at all. After popping this CD into my computer's CD Rom just about every single afternoon for a couple of weeks, it finally clicked. I finally understood the album and understood the grooves and anger that went into each song. After about 10 listens, I began to worship songs like "Game Show" and "Reload". "Game Show" is like a slowed down version of Master of Puppets and "Crumbs" and "Filth Pig" are just songs that I can't help but scream along to, although they are pretty repetitive. My biggest complaint is that I couldn't get a louder sound out of my monitor speakers. No matter how high I cranked up the volume, it just didn't seem to satisfy me. To appreciate this album, you just have to have this stuff vibrate through you. Another wonderful thing about this album is that each song is unique and has its own personality. Granted, each one of these personalities can sneak into your home at night and stab you in the back 35 times, but its easy to differentiate each song from the next. When I listen to Slayer's Reign in Blood and Sepultura's Beneath the Remains, the songs begin to sound the same, if not very similar to each other, and it gets boring after a while.

This album should be appreciated for what it is, not what it was "expected" to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely their best album, July 1, 2004
This review is from: Filth Pig (Audio CD)
This is undoubtedly Ministry's best album. Admittedly, it took a little to really grow on me, but once it did i realized how special this album is. I cannot comprehend why so many supposed Ministry fans believe this album sucks.
I've nothing really to add to all the praise in the other 5-star reviews. Just can't understand how any industrial fan fails to appreciate this gem of an album.

Filth Pig
Filth Pig by Ministry (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies