5.0 out of 5 stars Great reel! There is a max size fish it will handle though

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
too heavy
Published 1 month ago by jeffs

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reel! There is a max size fish it will handle though, August 10, 2011
Great looking huge reel. First day using it, first cast, hooked an almost 80" bluefin tuna. Landed after 1 1/2 hours. The reel got a little scary sounding towards the end of the fight. Upon inspection, I noticed the large drag washer edges were shredded, the anti reverse pawl was damaged and the pawl ring was also damaged. I can order the parts from Fin-Nor for about $15. For $133, I could buy 4 Fin-Nor's for the price of one Stella. For $15 I can fix mine. This reel handled and almost 400# Bluefin tuna. $133 reel. Sounds like a no brainer. If I had $800-$1000 I could spend on a new spinning reel, I'd still buy a Fin-Nor and use the extra to go fishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pelagic perfection, October 22, 2011
This review is from: Fin-Nor Offshore Spin Fishing Reel (Sports)
I use mine in the Gulf of Mexico for Cobia, Grouper, and Amberjack. Sweet drag. Handles large Amberjack with no problems. I love the sound of the drag and it has plenty of it to stop most fish in their tracks. Great reel for the price. Try it you will fall in love with it for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Value Product, May 1, 2011
Sound product. I beat up my reels. See a lot of big surf action and submerged often. No magic, fewer parts to mess with, cleaning and maintenance easy. Good performance, great value. Montauk as well as the CC Canal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats most reels in it's price range by far..., January 28, 2013
I always do a ton of research before purchasing a reel. I ordered the OF55 and I am very pleased with it. The 45 has 30lbs max drag, the 55 has 45lbs max drag, and 65 and up have 60lbs max drag. That much drag is usually over kill when surfcasting on Long Island and this reel runs big and heavy. Weight is it's only downfall, but I wanted one workhorse of a reel to put on my 11ft rod. I usually set up an 11ft rod in a sand spike with a bell on the tip and some kind of bait on the hook. Then I throw plugs nearby with a light 9ft outfit. So weight is not an issue in that scenario. I read that this reel allows for good distance in casting and it does. I tested it once so far just to see how it handled and can't wait for the Spring so I can really use it. Smooth with a little back play but that doesn't bother me. I've seen pics of it's gears broken online but I've heard and read that the ones that break or the rare lemons that can slip out of many reel factories. In which case you can replace the reel through the Warrantee for up to a year of the purchase, AS LONG AS YOU register it within 10 DAYS of the purchase date by filling out and sending in the card that comes with the reel. This reel beats the heck out of the On Shore wether your on a boat or on the beach. I just wouldn't go higher than 45 or 55 for surfcasting unless you plan on catching sharks.... big ones. Oh and be aware that if you get the optional power handle for it, you have to destroy the existing handle to get it off. I don't know maybe MacGyver could find a way around that but I'm no Nancypants with tools and I haven't. Good luck, God bless, and Semper Fi to all my fellow Marines out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great powerful reel, September 20, 2012
Real great reel. As powerful as it looks. Drags are bulletproof.
It is not exactly that smooth in any respect, but as soon as it comes to real job - it is up to task 100%!
I enjoy that reel. Can go after sturgeon from the shore or for the tuna from the boat... And everything in between.
Spool it with 80lb braid and you are ready to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid built reel in an age of plastic..., December 6, 2011
This review is from: Fin-Nor Offshore Spin Fishing Reel (Sports)
Absolutely solid reel. Full metal frame with easy maintenance. OFS95 is a beast and great for surf fishing black tips in Florida.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best spinning reel, July 23, 2014
Best spinning reel I have ever owned, I have Penn, Shimano, Daiawa, and Pflueger but this one is by far the best one I have ever owned. You will not go wrong with this reel, the power of the drag and the feel of the reel are incredible. I will be buying another one very soon. I just hooked a 7 to 8 foot shark on it's side while fishing at the Dry Tortugas, and the reel really surprised me with it's power. I brought the shark to the side of the boat and after the shark was tired we where able to remove the hooks from it's side. Bottom line this will be the best reel you will ever own, and if you pair it with a penn carnage jigging rod 130 to 200 test you will be amazed. They balance just perfect and compliment each other just right.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... series reel for two years and it is nearly perfect. I would not have believed a spinning reel ..., October 3, 2014
This review is from: Fin-Nor Offshore Spin Fishing Reel (Sports)
I have been using the 55 series reel for two years and it is nearly perfect. I would not have believed a spinning reel could be this strong but wow, it really is tough! I fish offshore from a kayak, and the usual kingfish and Jack Crevalle are no problem. i have defeated bull sharks up to eight feet in length from the kayak, and this reel never even broke a sweat. It gets salt spray every weekend as I paddle through the surf, and still it's performing flawlessly.
Yes it is a heavy reel, but the weight comes with an unbelievable amount of performance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, February 11, 2013
This reel has more drag than you know what to do with. Handles big tarpon like nothing, and as for shark fishing I've caught a couple 6 foot black tips. Brought them in an about twenty minutes. Absolutely love it. This reel can do just about anything. Can't wait to try it out on some Goliath groupers, only thing about this reel is,that it has too much balls for any rod you put it on. Excuse my French but other than that it's amazing. I highly recommend a star rod paraflex with a braid rating of 30 to 200 for this reel,that's the same setup I got and it works flawlessly

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% great reels, August 26, 2014
This is the real deal. What a spectacular work horse. Solid workmanship! Can stand up to the challenge. Wish it had a way to hold the end of the line (no big deal). The drag at max can stick (use it at 95%). We pulled in 200 lb sharks and 250 lb Goliath groupers on several of these and they were solid performers. Everything else fails first. NOT THE REEL.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›