Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

• Fin

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$5.99

on October 4, 2012
John Talabot is a mysterious fella... and John Talabot is not even his real name. It's actually Oriol Riverola (he's also been recording under the D.A.R.Y.L. alias). Riverola came on the scene in 2009, with My Old School 12″ on München (Germany) based Permanent Vacation label. But it was his fourth EP, Families (2011), which got picked up by Young Turks that finally caught my attention. This London-based label, by the way, has been home to a few of my favorite artists, such as SBTRKT and The XX which is why, I suppose, I finally picked it up. The very latest, IN, is Riverola's debut full length album, this time back on the label he started with. The LP has caused a bit of stir in the indie community, especially amongst the followers of Four Tet, Booka Shade and Caribou.

Barcelona-based John Talabot produces the kind of house meets disco meets indie-pop, which at first made me take a double take and wonder how to properly categorize the style. Upon my third and fourth and consecutively fifth listen I started to get completely hooked on his infectious sound. There's a sense of mystery surrounding the swooshing synths, sporadic organic rhythms over the tribal housy beat and soft gliding sonic pads. IN is the kind of record you wished you found in the 80s, when the world obsessed with pop and MTV started to dramatically separate itself from the underground cassette scene. At the end I decided against genrefication and leave the record to speak for itself. It's no wonder that fans of electronic movement within the indie scene have developed a thirst for the quality-produced revived sound.

The music on IN maintains the kind of easygoing nonchalant atmosphere which at first makes you mistake it for the loop-driven sample-based simplicity. The record's confidence begins to shine through upon further rotations, and now the multiple layers begin to reveal themselves throughout eleven uplifting tracks. I can totally close my eyes and picture myself dancing long into the late night to these contagious beats, which is precisely what I'll be doing at the upcoming Decibel Festival in Seattle, where John Talabot will be performing alongside vocalist and producer Pional (who also appears on the record) at the dB Finale. If you dig this, there's also a IN Remixes Vol 1 featuring remixes by Bullion, Pachanga Boys and Kenton Slash Demon.
on June 19, 2012
Some people out there aren't impressed by electronic music in general. There was a time when I put myself in that category, so I can attest that for those people its worth changing your mind for this album by John Talabot.

My favorite track, as with so many albums, is the first, "Depak Ine." The noises of a synthetic jungle, a haunting chorus, and percussive beats that sound like they're wrapped in a heavy blanket sets the tone for the rest of the album. It's not a cheerful album, but it will make you smile. You'll smile because in the repetitious atmosphere of the songs, you'll continually be surprised by what Talabot might throw at you next. This effect doesn't wear off after several listens. I've already listened to the whole thing at least 15 times and I've taken the time to seek out the vinyl version.

The album artwork does the tone of the album justice: A dark tone overall, but the rip-wrapped patterns and layers of samples form an at once soothing and surprising sound.

I expect to see this album on many "Best of 2012" lists, including my own.
on August 3, 2012
This album is one of the best for EDM (I personally dislike this acronym and term) this year. Just smooth and buttery. It was on repeat for a trip around the globe and I swear I listened and studied the whole album over and over again. It's still in my Top 5 for the year. I've been making, listening and DJing EDM for over 25 years and this album harkens to the varying styles yet keeps things very much moving forward and fresh. Give it a listen, it's worth the $9. You can also listen to a couple of his remixes at my site, auxshux dot com.
on January 8, 2013
If you like any kind of electronic music besides s***ty club music, this is for you. I listened for the first time almost five days ago, and am confident that I have over 20+ listens under my belt already, it's THAT GOOD
on December 1, 2013
Amazing album. There is a certain feeling to the whole thing that is just great. Listen to it from start to finish; if you're a fan of John Talabot you will love it.
on February 15, 2012
Think about the most beautiful person in the world. Can you tell me why you feel this way? It's not easy. Sure, you can list various features, but what is it about this person's eyes or lips or hair or whatever that gives this person an edge over other attractive men or women? Just look at him/her you're likely to say. This person is beauty personified. There is no one thing that makes her so sexy. It's just who she is.

That's how I feel trying to describe what makes this album so stunning. There are plenty of excellent elements throughout the recording, but the harmony between these elements is far more important than any single component. Breaking Fin down into different styles of electronic music or emphasizing the beats or the use of vocal tracks denies each of those elements the context that make them work so well. Every sound feels necessary. Every detail is placed just right. It's the composition, not the individual elements, that soars in John Talabot's creation. There is no one feature that makes this album wonderful. It's just what it is.
on June 11, 2012
Nice chill cd; gave as a gift to a friend who kept hearing one of the cuts on satellite radio, fell in love with it, but didn't know where to purchase. Needless to say, she was surprised and elated when she opened it on her birthday. Thanks, Amazon, for having such a wide selection of music.