Published 27 days ago by jason

3.0 out of 5 stars Ehhh nothing to write home about... but still kinda fun!
Published 8 months ago by imconfsdru

3.0 out of 5 stars Ehhh nothing to write home about... but still kinda fun!, January 18, 2014
This review is from: Final Exam [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Overall its your run of the mill side scrolling beat em up game much like old school battle toads or double dragon with a lot less depth which is why I only gave it 3 stars. Theres only like 4 things you can do even after leveling up and getting some levels essentially you can jump, throw a grenade, shoot a gun or swing a weapon with little to no variation no real actual combos cause it all chains together anyways for me not that impressed but Im picky so might be to someones liking just not my cup of tea per say sure not worth full price and really kinda disappointed I bought it at half off honestly!

4.0 out of 5 stars I typically do not enjoy side scrolling third person games but this one was ..., August 23, 2014
This review is from: Final Exam [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I typically do not enjoy side scrolling third person games but this one was a jewel and I am glad I found it. The concept is funny the colors and art work are great and there are a few good chuckles along the way. The only reason I didn't rate it five is that I didn't think it was really long enough. Now don't get me wrong it is well worth the money and I recommend it to anyone who needs a little humor and a dose of gore in there daily life. If however your into RPG (Roll Playing Games) with vast open world maps and lots of different possible outcomes this game is not for you.Think old school Mario Bro. with gore and better colors and graphics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet, great for co-op, March 28, 2014
This review is from: Final Exam [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
As a long-time user and advocate of Steam, the fact that I can buy Steam codes on Amazon is very convenient for me. As always, installing through Steam is very simple and easy. The game worked perfectly on my gaming laptop at max settings with no framerate issues.

The gameplay is fun, and co-op (up to 2 players) was enjoyable for my brother and I. The RPG elements are fairly streamlined and simple. You earn upgrade points based on your score and collecting just-barely-out-of-the-way items on each stage. You can also find one new melee weapon and one new ranged weapon on each stage, but you'll only have to explore a little outside the mission path to find them all.

This game reminded me a bit of Castle Crashers, though this one is purely 2D side-scrolling whereas Castle Crashers had a bit of 3D movement. You get better combos based on your character's upgrades, and your stats determine how much damage you do with melee or ranged weapons and how much damage you can take before being defeated. Certain combos can be more effective depending on which type of enemy you're hitting, so there can be a bit of strategy involved, but button-mashing isn't strictly useless, either. Your score might not get as high, but mindless button mashing will often eventually get the job done. It isn't a terribly difficult game, but it's fun nonetheless. If you're playing co-op you can be defeated over and over as long as your partner can move over to you and press a button to revive you each time.

My only complaint is about the length of the game. My brother and I finished all the stages in about 5-6 hours, and unless you care about increasing your scores on each stage for the sake of achievements or leaderboards there isn't much point to replaying it. It's For the $10 MSRP it might not be a fair complaint, however, especially when I bought the game on sale for $3 after promotional credit.

Overall, it's a worthwhile play. Would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun if somewhat repetitive 4 player co-op experience!, February 14, 2014
This review is from: Final Exam [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Final Exam is, essentially, a 2.5D side scroller beat 'em up that plays out across 6 levels of mayhem and features unlockable skill trees and lots of collectibles. I played through this game with 3 other friends and found it to be enjoyable overall. Here is what I thought was good about the game:

1. The levels are quite large and players are not locked into one shared screen like in many other side scrollers I've played. We were all able to explore the level at our own paces and notify each other of collectibles found. You'll always know which direction the other players are in, though, as they will be represented by a face bubble and an arrow pointing in the correct direction. Each level took around an hour to play through AND collect everything.
2. Each character has both a standard skill tree and a unique skill tree. This allows every character to buff up certain stats while retaining a certain degree of individuality. In other words, if the geek wants to be heavy hitter like the football player, he can make himself a heavy hitter. But at the same time, only the geek can learn the ghost trap skill. It was fun to watch each character do their special attacks.
3. When the game switches things up a bit by forcing you together with your team members on the same screen to take on a boss or a panic scenario, the chaos that usually ensues can be quite hilarious. The sideways sliding train car bit, in particular, was both amusing to watch and to play as there was so much going on. It reminded me of the infamous high speed ramps level in Battletoads.
4. You can play co-op both online and offline, and the net code is pretty solid. We didn't experience any significant lag spikes or sudden disconnects, and we were even playing with someone over in the UK!
5. As long as you don't fall off the level or get gibbed by a specific style of explosion in the game, you can always be resurrected by a teammate and keep playing. This makes the game easy to get into by a wide array of people.

Here's what I didn't like about this game:
1. Part of the reason why the levels take so long to complete (and I do mean COMPLETE in the fullest sense of the word) is that each individual player must find and collect the blue bottles and weapons on their own. One person collecting them does not cut it. The early levels aren't too bad to do this with, but the later levels have a constant stream of nasties always coming after you that makes it hard to keep track of where you have been and where you haven't been.
2. The enemy TYPES are varied, but the enemy MODELS are not varied much at all. In other words, most of the enemies all look the same physically, but how they attack you is different. There is a story reason for this, I know, but I would have preferred more enemy modelling differences. The same green/black over and over again makes the game seem less varied than it really is. The exact same boss model is also used throughout the game until you reach the final boss.
3. Health items are almost useless due to their rarity as well as the timeless nature of the resurrection system. It's easier to fight until you drop and then be resurrected by a team member than to try to hold onto enough food items to survive a large fight.
4. The final boss fight has WAY too much going on on screen and is very easy to lose track of yourself when fighting him with other players.

All-in-all, for $10 I've definitely played worse games. This made for a good 6-7 hours of play with my friends and I do heartily recommend it for group play. I'm not sure that this game is well suited for single play, though. Half the fun of the game is to witness the chaos that you and your friends can dig up together.

Final Exam [Online Game Code]