5.0 out of 5 stars Final Exit - Your choice
Published on September 26, 2005 by K. Tini

3.0 out of 5 stars Brief, pragmatic and informal introduction to self-deliverance
(Note: Page numbers cited without a source refer to the third edition of Final Exit)

Final Exit's primary audience is older individuals who are considering "self-deliverance" (i.e. suicide), and also their caretakers. I am not in either of these positions and am quite young, so my perceptions may not always be relevant to the primary audience, but I hope I have...
Published 18 months ago by AssemblyTimeConstant

5.0 out of 5 stars Final Exit - Your choice, September 26, 2005
K. Tini (Douglassville, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Exit: The Practicalities of Self-Deliverance and Assisted Suicide for the Dying, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
I found this book to be incredibly informative. Watching my parents in the throes of death has made me vow to not do this to my children. Any ideas I had prior to reading this book were dispelled and I'm grateful to know what doesn't work! The book is not for the weak at heart - especially the illustrations but I've already connected with a partner and hope, that when the time comes, I'll have the fortitude to carry through.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book that Respects People's Choices About Dying, April 24, 2004
+++++

After I read this book (first edition published in 1991) by Derek Humphry, I read some reviews of it on this site as well as on other sites. In many cases, I wondered whether a particular reviewer read the same book as I did! There seems to be some confusion as to the purpose of this book.

I think the confusion stems from a lack of understanding of two terms. "Suicide" is deliberately ending one's life. It is usually an irrational act. (For the record, I don't believe in irrational suicide.) "Self-Deliverance" is the action of an irreversible ill person (such as a person who is hopelessly ill or is terminally ill) who makes a rational, voluntary decision to end his/her own life.

The second of these two definitions is what this book is about. In the author's own words: "Please respect the true intensions of [this book]: the right of a terminally ill person with unbearable suffering to know how to choose to die."

Thus, this book is not for the depressed, mentally ill, or suicidal. The author elaborates: "I ask people with suicidal thoughts to share them with family or friends and if this does not help, to call one of the hot lines or help lines listed in their local telephone books."

There is an argument that the above three types of people might use the information in this book for their own early demise (despite the book's warnings) and therefore it should not have been published. But this is like saying tall buildings (or cars or bridges or etc.) should not be built because those with the intension of suicide might use them for an early demise. The fact is a suicidal person will always find a way.

Also, this book is not for the religious. The author, again, elaborates: "If the reader of this book is deeply religious, and takes all guidance from a divinity, then there is no point in reading [this book]. [As well], all I [the author] ask of persons to whom any form of euthanasia [or assisted dying] is morally repugnant is tolerance and understanding of the feelings of others who want the right to choose what happens to their [dying] bodies in a free society." Thus, "this book assumes the reader's ethical acceptance of the right to choose to die when terminally ill and [so] the arguments for and against are not addressed."

This 27-chapter book covers all the practicalities involved in self-deliverance. From the importance of certain documents, to the law, to consideration of others, to the pros and cons of various methods (including certain drugs), you'll find this book a compassionate and sensitive guide. It contains clear instructions for supportive doctors and families so they can keep a person's dying intimate, private, and dignified.

This book has four appendices. I think most people will find Appendix A: "Glossary of Terms Connected with Dying" most informative.

Finally, this is an excellent book for those (like me) who are interested in knowing more about this neglected subject. The obvious fact is that we all die sooner or later. Knowing some of the information in this book will help the reader understand and not deny that death exists. As well, I learned about rights. Some people want to endure every last minute of life no matter how painfully gloomy and that is certainly their right. (In fact, there is a chapter in this book entitled "The Hospice Option.") However, others do not want to endure pain and suffering and I think that should be their right.

In conclusion, this book should not to be read by the depressed, suicidal, mentally ill, or the strictly religious. For all other readers, it can be used as a practical guide or as an educational text to understand death and basic human rights.

+++++

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes you discriminate., December 28, 2009
Many of you guys complaining about depressed individuals committing suicide using this book fail to accept that you discriminate towards the mentally ill almost everyday. Ask a homeless man cleaning car windows and pumping gas to earn a days worth of food or alcohol or drugs to mask his pain whether or not he would want to end his life. You'll see why such a book can be beneficial to people who did not make the choice to enter this world to begin with and want out. Every human is living in a fantasy world not accepting that we are mere beasts. If we are willing to put a dog to sleep without its consent why not a human who decides to do so.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a manual, not a religous text, March 17, 2003
Stephanie E. Ladd (Boulder, CO United States) - See all my reviews
Final Exit does not discuss the spiritual and ethical issues surrounding suicide and euthanasia. Some have criticized Derek Humphry for not including such discussions, but I contend that author has acted appropriately: the scope of this book is inform others on how to effectively plan and execute the last moments of life. It would be presumptuous of the author to lecture his readers on their own faith. If you are looking for answers concerning the spiritual ramifications of ending your life, then you should refer directly to sources on which you base your faith.
Concerning Final Exit's effectiveness as a manual, the language is clear and concise, the description of materials and their use is accurate, and the book provides you with adequate information to help you troubleshoot any problems unique to your situation.
I left off one star only because some of the drugs mentioned in the book are next to impossible to obtain due to the termination of production by pharmaceutical companies. There are alternatives, but these will require a bit more effort on the part of the reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Appreciating Life, June 18, 2004
By A Customer
What I like most about this man is that he genuinely appreciates life and encourages people to live....surprised? This book is not aimed at everyone, only the terminally ill. He strongly discourages people from taking their own life unless they're sick. I respect his view that humans have the right to end their existence, even if the problem is mental distress, not physical. I did see a few methods that anyone who can walk themselves to the store with some cash on hand can do. Those methods require no doctor or hard-to-get materials. For sure, anyone with access to a doctor can use this book as a guide to obtain the essential materials needed.
I did wish the book had more methods of self deliverence (that are available without prescription), and more detailed instructions on using prescribed drugs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRULY HUMANITARIAN BOOK, March 6, 2003
William Bucko "Bill Bucko" (Mt. Clemens, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I once happened upon a mouse caught in a trap. It was badly wounded, but not dead. Needless to say, I put it out of its misery.
Unfortunately, our culture is dominated by a monstrous world-view that has less regard for human life than I had for that mouse: Christianity.
Politicians who thumb their noses at the Constitution forcibly impose their theological dogma on all of us--a dogma that I can only call "the Divine Right of Suffering"--the view that your life belongs, not to you, but to a sadistic supernatural ghost, and that no matter how much pain you're in, you have no right to end your own life. To call their vicious dogma "respect for life" is the most monstrous "big lie" that can be imagined.
Until Christians are civilized and made to respect the right of every individual to his own life, "Final Exit" is an essential book to have. Since a fair amount of preparation is necessary--preparation that in a decent society you could seek from a skilled professional--you should have this book on hand well ahead of time--just in case you ever need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Final Exit (third edition), September 20, 2005
For the purposes for which people read this book, it is excellent. Thorough, readable , and humane. One of the few books I want to own AFTER having read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A humane and essential book, September 1, 2005
While most readers who seek out this book will probably be disappointed that the author can't definitively provide a simple, dignified, and foolproof way of ending one's life, we still need to be grateful that this book offers us the best possibilites that society currently allows. Religious zealots and others who think they have the right to make decisions for everyone else still limit our choices and condemn free people to pointless suffering. For anyone who feels that this decision belongs to oneself alone, the author does his best to provide the available answers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not necessarily enjoyable, but definitely thought-provoking, May 7, 2007
I just read Derek Humphry's controversial FINAL EXIT, a book whose

subtitle says it all: THE PRACTICALITIES OF SELF-DELIVERANCE

AND ASSISTED SUICIDE FOR THE DYING . . . and while I

wouldn't say I enjoyed it (in large part because of the subject

matter), I did find it very thought-provoking.

Humphry, a journalist and author, is perhaps best known

as the person who launched the Hemlock Society in

1980 in California . . . though that organization is no longer

in existence, the idea behind it still lives on; i.e., that people

should have the right to choose rational suicide as an option

in certain instances.

Now please don't get on my case if you disagree with that

opinion . . . I'm not advocating for it one way or the other--or

at least not in this review . . . in fact, in this book, Humphry

actually presents more reasons why somebody should not

commit suicide . . . as he notes:

If you are considering taking your life because you are unhappy,

cannot cope, or are confused, please do not use this table but

contact a Crisis Intervention Center or Suicide Prevention Center.

(Look in the telephone book. It may be under "Hotlines.') An un-

finished life is a terrible thing to waste. This information is meant

for consideration only by a mature adult who is dying and wishes

to know about self-deliverance.

Yet for those with an incurable disease and who want an easy

passing for themselves and/or their loved ones, then the author's

story about his wife will offer much insight:

I was Jean's safety device against a too early self-deliverance.

While I did not want her to die, I was willing to take my share of

the responsibility of decision-making if it brought her peace.

Assisting in difficult decisions is an essential responsibility of

a loving relationship.

USA TODAY in 2007 listed FINAL EXIT as amongst the

25 most influential books of the previous quarter century . . . it

is definitely NOT for everyone, yet that said, I also liked the fact

that it has such useful advice for anybody facing death as the

Tell those around you the complimentary things which have been left

unsaid due to the strain of illness. The appropriate "I am grateful for

what you've done" or similar remark will help comfort those left

behind after you have gone.

Wouldn't it be grand if we could do the above more often, especially

when we're healthy?

5.0 out of 5 stars Controversial but important, May 15, 2007
Pat "PM" (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I found this very well written and thought out. It is a difficult subject to think/read about, though I must say, if a family member of mine were suffering and I knew they wanted 'out' of this earthly suffering, I would go to all lengths to help them. I do not consider living a long life and ending it in utter pain and helplessness and feeling demeaned anything that is a dignifying end to a person's life. Actually anyone suffering with no hope in sight is deserving of these thoughts and options. Excellent book. A+.

$17.00 $12.91