5.0 out of 5 stars Crisper graphics and now on the computer
Published 11 months ago by squall-leonhart-8

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
I don't have a way to play this game on pc.
Published 1 month ago by Virginia Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Crisper graphics and now on the computer, October 13, 2013
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I still have not played this PC version much yet, and I unfortunately still haven't gotten around to finishing even the original PS1 version of the game yet (though I would like to, eventually). That is part of the reason I got this PC version. I go to college and take my laptop with me but not my PS3 because I play more MMOs than PS1/2/3 games and don't like having more than I need to have with me, so having FFVII on my laptop means I have it with me all the time and can (hopefully) get around to playing it more often and eventually finish it. Also, I am not thrilled that the new PS4 and other new gaming consoles are moving towards dropping backwards compatibility, which means many good older games on them (such as FFX or FFXII, and possibly even the PS1 FF titles eventually) won't be playable on the new versions. With the PC, games have to be made to be playable on a wide variety of computers, so you do not have to worry about backwards compatibility, so I would love it if all the PS titles were released for the PC, too, especially the FF titles, and then if new games were also released on the PC, as well, once more especially new FF titles (though I was not thrilled with FFXIII or the bit I played of FFXIII-2).

Finally, one immediately noticeable improvement that is the main reason I wanted to write this review is the crispness of the graphics on the PC game compared to the PS1 game. The graphics are the same kind of blocky, older graphics used in the original game, but as you can sort of see in the pictures, the blocky, older graphics on the PC are much crisper on the PC while on the PS3 they were fairly fuzzy. So, not only do you get the game on the PC, but you also get slightly improved graphics, which is nice.

Recommended if you are a fan of FFVII and the FF series, and who would like their old PS games on their PC so they do not lose their old, loved titles due to newer versions of gaming consoles losing backwards compatibility. Also recommended if you just want crisper, slightly improved graphics for the game.

P.S. It is a bit weird using the controls. You are able to change them in settings, which helps slightly, but it is weird because they essentially decided to try to recreate the PS3 controller on the keyboard, instead of letting you control things how you do in most PC games. It was also mildly annoying having to create a Steam account (one more account I have to keep track of) to play it, but not a huge deal.

Update 02/17/2014: First of all, in the last few days, I purchased GTA IV and Final Fantasy VIII for Steam from Amazon, so while it was, as I mentioned above, "mildly annoying having to create a Steam account," Steam is actually quite useful and it is well worth having a Steam account, especially if you are like me and would like to have your old games all on the more universal computer rather than stuck on old console systems that are being abandoned. Secondly, while the controls on Final Fantasy VII (and Final Fantasy VIII and even somewhat on GTA IV) feel like they are trying to mimic a PS1/PS2/PS3 controller on the keyboard, I realized that there are controllers for the computer that can be purchased. I have not yet purchased one (I read something on Google that sounds like I might possibly be able to connect my PS3 controllers using a program), but there is a Logitech controller that seems good for only $20 that I will probably purchase if connecting the PS3 controller doesn't work.

4.0 out of 5 stars (Almost) Exactly as you remember it, July 24, 2013
...For better or worse.

This is in large part the exact same game that was released on the Playstation and PC. It now natively displays to widescreen monitors and its character models have been sharpened and upscaled. Backgrounds and polygon counts remain as they were nearly 20 years ago, however, and the sharp, blocky actors on the muddy backgrounds is more jarring than it used to be.

A few other things bring parts of it in to a more modern age, like cloud saves (already an overused meme), built-in cheats (called the "character booster"), and achievements. It is also largely bug-free, but an "HD remake" this is not. It's also not really priced as such, so...

Everything else remains the same, barring an improved translation (much to my chagrin, the words "Off course!!" are never uttered), and slightly worse soundtrack. You're still getting a compelling, introspective, and emotive story, if still confusing or convoluted; an excellent and fairly challenging battle system; plenty to see and do outside of the main quest, which is rather meaty, especially by today's standards.

Mods already exist and are effective at mitigating some of the effects of age and translation to PC.

Controller highly recommended. So is the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic that never gets old., November 3, 2013
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I got this game at a deal. Much like most of the gamers my age this is a total nostalgia trip. The purchase was simple and I was given a key to use in Steam. Downloaded quickly and set up my controller and was good to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Playing a Classic, April 29, 2014
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
It's great. Such Wow. Like the other Final Fantasy games I have played i really enjoy this one and I am not nearly finished.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Game that got me Hooked to Video Games!!!, May 14, 2014
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
if you loved the game and want to take it with you on laptop,
or have it quickly accessible on your desk top,
it is just good clean quick and easy fun at your ginger tips.
Love the music, brings back lots of fun memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Series in FF! Nostalgia all the way, April 23, 2014
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
One of the best games, Story is top notch, Has even events that make the most hardcore cry! (tho, by now everyone who has lurked any internet forum probably can avoid the cry, but it's still a tearjerker)

as with FF VIII release, steam version also includes a external cheat, it will disable achievements, but those who wish to play for story have their tool without goggling for cheats

Story: 6/5 (One of the best Stories in FF, Behind FF VIII in my eyes but most agree FF VII is better)
Combat: 5/5 Quite Refined I believe, Materia system is awesome
Music: 5/5 Quite refined, Some parts if I remember right are just pain annoying but some combats are breath taking thanks to the music
Art/Graphics: 5/5 This game has AWESOME graphics for such old game. Even today you can play it without crying to bad graphics but remember, this game was made in the late 90s! and has graphics that you can still look at!

Anyway, A MUST for any FF fan! Even if you are a newer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game great price, April 22, 2014
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Great game. easy install if you already have a game client. Copy and paste key also makes it easy. Great price..

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!, April 13, 2014
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
One of the best RPGs in history. Dynamic story mode with no lag interruption whatsoever. It brought back good memories of my childhood. Truly a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best RPG ever, March 21, 2014
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I always loved this game and Amazon have it only for $6, that made my day today. Thanks Amazon for the sale :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Me gusta mucho, March 17, 2014
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I LOVE THIS GAME VERY VERY MUCH. IT was dowloaded, played and enjoyed. Now I'm savoring it, just playing it once in a while.

Final Fantasy VII  [Online Game Code]