Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Final Fantasy VIII [Online Game Code]
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 16, 2013
As with the recent re-release of Final Fantasy VII for the PC, little has changed from the original, which is now, what, almost 15 years old?

There's plenty good to be stated about that fact, for, if you're like me in that you've found that there are few titles that have been released in the intervening years that exhibit the qualities you liked about it, you wouldn't hesitate to pick up an even moderately improved version (particularly if you've been made unable to play the original) at a fair price with widescreen support, cheats, achievements, and cloud saves.

However...

The same complaints apply to this re-release. The 3-D models are improved, but the backgrounds are low resolution and make for a strange mix of sharp and muddy. It looks better than 7, but there has been no effort to really augment the product and it's difficult to condone. The soundtrack is in the same punchless midi that everyone's complained about in 7, worse than the original PlayStation tracks. Control is bad unless you use a controller (use a controller). There's no additional content to the main game (there's Chocobo World, originally a Pocketstation game which ties to the game in an optional way, here and launchable in-game).

The story here is rich and intricate, with much room for speculation, even if the tropes to begin it are, indeed, tropes. Characters are rich, if underexplored, as is the world as a whole. The battle system is different and, in my opinion, flawed. In it you draw magic from the environment and your enemies and assign the spells to attributes like speed and strength through junctioning. While an interesting mechanic that limits the number of spells at your disposal and might give you pause when you consider using one that bolsters an important stat, spells are too easy to come by and the junction system is too easily exploited and leads to all characters being essentially the same. There is challenge to be found though, should you know where to look (or handicap yourself, but I don't believe you should have to do that), but I felt it on too few occasions and they were some serious peaks compared to the rest of the encounters.

In short: Minimal updates to presentation (with music quality lowered).
Highly interesting story and characters, particularly if you love to consider what is left unsaid about events, motivations, etc... Great speculation material.
Hard to play without a controller.
Battle system is easily exploited and tedious for such a long game (~30-40 hours).

I really enjoyed it for the thinking it made me do, but the amount of fun is diminished by the lacking presentation and the gameplay ease.
on December 21, 2013
This game is just like the origional PS1/PC copy. They did touch it up with smoothing out the graphics a little but didnt upgrade them. They did add more enemies and side quests. They also made it compatible with all the newer computers/windows based tablets (with keyboard but controller is recommended) I played this on my windows surface pro using a usb controller (as well as my desktop too). If you are wanting an easier way to play this game use either a logitec controller (like the Playstation style controllers) or a 360 usb controller.
on June 27, 2016
I was very pleased with this purchase of the classic Final Fantasy 8 download for my PC.

First I will report that it worked perfectly on my newer ASUS laptop which runs Windows 8 and uses Intel Integrated Graphics, with a 1.86Ghz processor and 4 Gigs of memory. Perfectly compatible.

Now, for the game itself. This is the original game, perfectly transformed to PC format, ported perfectly, with no additions or subtractions that I am aware of. It has all the original cut scenes, and even comes with a mild cheat option that allows you to add 100 of certain items without actually finding them in the game, to buff your abilities the easy way.

I personally think that this game, Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 10, and Final Fantasy 12 are from the high point in this game series, and like many people I remember 8 with especially deep sentimental feelings. This is the period where the FF franchise first began to use photo-realistic computer generated graphics, whereas previous versions feature somewhat cartoonish animation (FF9 was a step back to cartoonish style animation too.)

The animations in the cut scenes in this game are lovely, like watching the finest movie animations of the time.

While the recent FF13 is great in its animations and graphics, it was a departure from the form that users had come to expect, in being only an action RPG, without many of the features that made FF8, FF10, and FF12 so great. Unless FF15 does better when it comes out this coming November, I won't know what to think of the FF franchise.

Luckily, with the release of this PC download, you can still go back and enjoy the originals that made the game great. If you like FF, and never played this game, I definitely recommend a try at this download. And it works great on Windows 8.
on January 24, 2015
I love this game, I have since I was young! This game is like coming home to me, I play it through once a year and it's as charming each time.

It is a bit silly at times but I think it's fun. Also, I love the junction system, which feels unique to this game!
on July 8, 2015
The code worked perfectly. My only complaint is that the description doesn't mention that you need a Steam account to input the code. I had to look in the help section to find out how/where to use the code.
on November 5, 2014
I loved playing this game on PSOne. It was just an epic FF game! If you like RPG and romance and angst teenagers, then this game is for you ;P Also, the story is a little hard to follow at first, but it's the characters that you really fall in love with that's what makes the game.
on October 27, 2015
Brings me back to my teenage years but without having to switch out the disks or have my PlayStation skip like crazy. My follow up purchase will be a Steam controller for my PC. I tried to use an Xbox 360 controller after following instructions online but could never make it work but still great even with the keyboard. Bust out some Shiva and Quetzquatel and get it done!
on April 23, 2014
I bought this game back on PC when it was released, Got it on discs,well Disc one is a bit ruined but I got a back up of it. Saw it cheap on Amazon so I bought for Steam!
A great game for FF fans, Sure the game is quite easy, well it can have it hard times but mostly easy due to how the enemies scale with level, but for those who wishes to play for the story only, the steam version has a external cheat inbuilt, but be warned you will NOT earn any achievements but it will be butter

Has one of the hardest side games in FF series in my eyes, the card game is actually harder than blitz ball from FFX in my eye
never understood all the rules

Great Story, Great Story, Awesome Story.... 7/5 on story! Combat is 4/5 only due to how enemies scale with you (ALL ENEMIES) well the last boss is still uber hard unless you cheat (still hard I think? don't remember, haven't played it thru yet but it was a long time I did so (10+ years ago)
on August 6, 2014
Personally, this is my absolute favorite Final Fantasy game. I love the characters, the story, the gameplay, everything. I have played through this game so many times and every time I do, I learn something new.
on March 24, 2014
Classic jRPG. Wonderful music, really nice graphic and deep story. Also awesome "junction" system.

Everyone should check it out. TODAY! :)