4.0 out of 5 stars An improvement to all of FFXIII's weak points but ending feels unsatisfying
I've been waiting for FFXIII-2 for a while and I have to say this game is an improvement to all of the weak aspects of Final Fantasy XIII. I have played this game nonstop since it came out and I was able to rush through the main storyline in 20 hours. Keep in mind that I have beaten this game (got through the final cutscene)but not with 100% completion.

The...
Published on February 3, 2012 by Scwashere

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but... is this really what the Final Fantasy series has come to?
Well, now that I've finished all of the extra endings and whatnot... I guess the game didn't leave much of a lasting impression on me because I don't even know what to say about it. It was probably as good as or better than Final Fantasy XIII, but that's not saying much because FFXIII was pretty weak. I am not sure why I even bought this game except that I am a sucker for...
Published on April 12, 2012 by Nana

‹ Previous | 1 2 344 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars alot of fun!!!!!!, February 18, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I personally liked FFXIII and so far i love FFXIII-2!!! for those that werent pleased with 13 because of linearity but still liked the story and battle system, you will love this game! it's a great addition to the ff universe!! i'm pretty much at the end of the main story line but theres still alot to do., you can really get alot of hours out of this game in different ways. one of my favorite things is you get to capture monsters, it's pretty cool and can be quite a challenge to get the rare ones, since it's all random when they show up and if you can capture them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've been better..., February 27, 2012
This review is from: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Being a Final Fantasy XIII fan (I liked the story), I would say that the second installment was fun, but also a great disappointment. Here are a couple points:

*SPOILER WARNING*

PROS:
*The crystarium system is upgraded, with one crystarium used for all the classes.
*Upgraded (and seemingly faster) battle system with beautiful cinematic actions.
*Now have the ability to be a "monster collector," collecting, upgrading, and infusing monsters for their use in battle.
*You can save almost anywhere!
*The mog clock is a nice addition to the game. You get positive, neutral, or negative consequences in battle depending on the time it takes you to initiate the battle. It is also easy to skip battles when annoyed.
*Fragment skill system is useful.
*Great music, sound effects, voice acting, graphics, etc.

CONS:
*To my annoyance, neither Noel or Serah can cast haste in battle as a SYN.
*Many of the side quests seemed very unimportant and not at all interesting. And certain things that were important should have been put into the main story and not into side quests as miscellaneous dialogue (e.g. while running, not in cutscene form, easy to miss). Just a personal preference.
*It's only Serah and Noel in the party. The third is always a monster (except at one time or if you buy DLC).
*Main story is too short and some of the DLC should have been included in the game already. Seems like Square is just trying to milk this series now. It's like they are selling people half of the story and waiting for XIII-3 to sell the rest (kind of like Force Unleashed 2).
*Lastly, the story was awful and confusing! The time travel thing has been done before, so it was also boring to me. It seems like XIII started a good story and XIII-2 was now shoved into the series to do a sequel (Caius was already on Pulse for hundreds or years during the whole Cocoon fiasco, why didn't he do anything then?). Lightning was barely in the story at all. Vanille, Fang and Sazh were just in the story for maybe 5 minutes each, and I don't even know why (Sazh time travels too? why isn't he in danger?). The cheesy-ness and repetitiveness was sometimes unbearable.

So, in my opinion, the game was OK and fun on all fronts but the story. To me, if they were going to give us half a game like this, then it should have been called something along the lines of "The Adventures of Serah and Noel," and been a shoot-off rather than main installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars ok, March 8, 2013
This review is from: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
got paranoid last night that someone was going to steal this product from me, so i slept in my room

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good as the Original, May 23, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Although the game fixes some of the problems of the original like the linearity of the story, it creates a whole bunch of new ones in the process.
Improvements:
-New character is likeable
-Non-linear story
-Able to tame monsters
-Able to switch leader mid-battle

deterioration:
-Uninteresting and generic plot
-Graphics appear as if they were downgraded for some reason
-Only able to control 2 characters unlike the 6 in the original
-No summons
-Bosses are way too easy
-Music was terrible compared to the original, or any other game in the series for that matter, I don't like metal.

DlC was also created prior to the release of the game which means that Square Enix could have included them in the disc but decided to make their fans buy content that should have been included on the disc in the first place.Also if you plan on buying the complete game buying just the disc your only buying less than half because all of the downloadable content alone totals to about $67.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a complete game even., March 7, 2012
This review is from: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
To start, this game had me hooked, beautiful graphics, fun combat more exploration. But something felt amiss and it was the story, and the characters. For starters as I'm sure you've already read somewhere, this story is a incoherent mess. I really tried to like it, but it never grabbed me like the final fantasy's of old. There was never a real epic feel to anything, on the basis of time travel.

The story truly made no sense at all and that leads to characters making either strange decisions or just lame dialog. Again I really wanted to like serah, but like my brother who was watching me play the game, would point out at times "isn't she, I don't know, engaged or something". I know romance wasn't even close to the point of the story, but there is such a lack of any emotion, like when she finally meets up with snow its like "hey,... well see you around". It made it feel fake, thus making serah look either unbelievably cold, or just stupid. Noel was, well ok but and this was probably just me, I just really didn't care a whole lot about him. Thats not to say hes a bad character. It also set itself up for lame dialog based on the fact that there are only 2 characters you play as. lightning not being one of them. You cant really count the first 5 mins. because your not even really playing her, you just hit the x button a few times.

The graphics were phenomenal, jack it up to 1080 and the game looks just gorgeous. landscapes are pretty with awesome lighting effects and a close eye on detail. Now the game dose open up a bit but not the way you would expect. there are just alot of different worlds, most being, just follow the corridor to the end and the end isn't very far as there are alot of small worlds/corridors. There are some big places to explore too though. In that aspect it is much funner than final fantasy 13. Monster collecting was also a fun additive, that added a lot of gotta catch them all feel.

But in the end, no spoilers, you don't get an end. you fight the last boss, see the last cut scene, watch the credits and then get. . . TO BE CONTINUED. I now alot of games do this, but, while it is a cliff hanger ending, it feels so cheap, like what just happened. I either have to wait 2-3 years for 13-3 or what they say is the want to add a dlc ending. Either way its just . . cheap. Never In any RPG have I felt so ripped off. Beating the game and knowing there going to make a sequel is one thing, but to have an ending that offers absoutly no closure what so ever. . . You get left hanging to find out what happens next. Good way to make more money, but not from me.

Final thoughts are, when I pay 60.00 for a game, I . . . I dont know, WANT A COMPLETE GAME! Its like buying a book with the last 50 pages missing, only to find out, you have to pay extra if you want the ending. First time ever where Ive heard of story missing, for DLC profit.

Edit - I just got done playing final fantasy 9 and all I can say is wow, that's how you make an epic RPG. It had everything, good characters, towns, giant world map, a whole lot of extra content in side quests. Seriously that game is so full with things to do, I'm amazed its a ps1 game. Again I was drawn into the story all the way to the ending. Than I replayed 13-2, talk about pathetic. To be so out done by a ps1 game, really. After playing 9, the plot of 13-2 is so atrocious that its insulting. Seriously I've played FPS games with better story's. Characters, the whole cast of 2, with one being quite slow, in the head.

Just being able to summon again was cool and searching for the final summon and ultimate weapon was still fun. That was when you didn't pay more for finding things, they were already included in the game, same goes for the ending. 9 wrapped everything off phenomenally it just made my play through of 13-2 look lame, seriously, to be continued. Its truly a pathetic experience when its humbled by a game made 13 years ago, 2 consoles down. Bye bye square enix.

4.0 out of 5 stars They don't make 'em like they used to. Until now. Sorta., February 3, 2012
This review is from: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
The strangest thing happened as I entered a new episode... I was excited to clear my way through the city under horrible circumstances. Enthusiasm in dungeon adventuring in a Final Fantasy game? How long has it been? Not just interested, or knowing it should be fun, but honest anticipation and a craving to jump into what looks like a mostly hopeless situation without entirely thinking through my options ahead of time and not knowing what the eventual outcome would look like.

It's been ages.

Honest-to-goodness plot twists, turns and surprises (for better and worse). A vague concept of where you 'should' go next to continue to primary storyline but never any rush or ever forced to go anywhere. All the time in the world ... er. For time travel. Sorry. No pun intended. Usually I can't stand the idea of time travel in games, since it's most always represented poorly. It's rare for total causality to actually play through, so how to fix? Up to three variations of any time jump-- a "before", an "after" and often a totally alternate timeline created by certain actions you've taken in the past. What you do in the past changes the future, and what you do in the future changes how things are done in the past in its own way.

Sure, at the end of the day it's still a stereotypical RPG gimmick, but the timeline traveled in XIII-2 branches off in more directions than I can offhandedly recall seeing before.

A lot of the good has been held over and this can be considered a 100% sequel after the events of the original XIII. The already slick battle system and schemes are here and even a little improved. The exp system is made more simple yet offers customization. Every Final Fantasy trademark noun, verb and adjective are all here... So what's managed to make things go wrong? The quite interesting cast of characters of the original have disappeared, and not unreasonably considering how the original ended. The premise, as such, has scraps to work with from the start and it shows. A previously secondary character as the lead, a totally new face inserted as a lone travel companion, a lovable Moogle as a conversing party member, and things are so lonesome that your third battle spot is held by any variety of monsters you capture.

Before even opening the game packaging, the player gets a still kick in the teeth with the absurd tease that the inspiring Lightning is back. She is, but not as an active character. The game is, if you want to simplify, a fancy detective case to solve Lightning's kidnapping.

Part of a not-a-5-star review is a scolding to Square-Enix for toying with consumers. It's terribly evident that XIII was a somewhat unfinished product and heaps of criticism were easy to pile on. Most of those issues are fixed... it's pandering. Pandering isn't bad, but it is a sign of weakness to games on both ends of a 'before and after' development cycle. I really hope some more use can be found for this game engine after I realized its scope. The game contains absolutely massive cities, and, upon throwing my Moogle for treasure hunting purposes (rather fun!), in a free-falling area one can watch him/her(?) bouncing off the walls and plunging endlessly downward for a good 10-15 seconds. Not just that the space is created as part of the environment, but that even the land and background features are functional outside the field of play and in the entire "zone" is very impressive. Hurl your Moogle off some skyscrapers and watch it bounce off other buildings, balconies and walkways that are all rendered by not in areas the player can reach.

It leaves me all the more saddened that XIII was so lacking in sprawling environments, and saddens just a bit more that XIII-2 is obviously still not using the full potential and has been left to run on fumes for story.

Go, have fun, It hits everything from the 'checklist' of player complaints and goes far deeper than I think most people would have expected (myself included). Now that all the pieces are there-- the characters or the original and the grander physical scale of the sequel-- combined they would have produced an absolutely stunning sole product, but unfortunately we'll forever be forced to settle with many of the best bits separated out into two. For shame.

Edit-- Wanted to add (to make entirely clear!) for the record that I have wholly enjoyed the game. It might not have the story, charm and originality of the best modern RPGs, but it has a production value a million miles beyond what they only dream of, which is something I do hope corporate finances will allow to continue in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Square Enix needs to make some decisions, January 20, 2013
Beldera (Minneapolis, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I've played (almost) all the FF games, and, unlike most others I don't really have a die-hard favorite. 9 is probably the one I'm least likely to replay, but I did recently play it again, so that doesn't really mean much. For me, the fun of the FF series is the plot and the characters, and the experiments they do with the battle system and the level-up grid each time. Sometimes it'll be a hit, and sometimes a miss, but I appreciate that they try.

Here's my problem with 13-2: There was just so much obvious money grab and filler in this game - it definitely feels like Square Enix is making this with the first priority of making money, the second priority of creating a visually pleasing game, and the third of creating a good game. It also feels like a game made by a studio in transition, or trying to find a new crowd for its games but taking a shot-gun approach and not developing any concept to its full (or sometimes minimally needed) potential.

This is one of those games that occasionally shows great glimmers of potential...then falls flat on its face, and makes the game worse for it. There a plot holes everywhere (almost comical) and some of the puzzles are just annoying when they are timed. The "pet" system is a great idea that is under-developed (or was just slapped on for the sole purpose of appealing to Monster Hunter fans). The level-up system is still a disgrace. The battle system is carries over from FF13. The dialogue is cringe-worthy at times. The ending is interesting and unexpected (I'll give them credit for taking the direction they did), though the expanded ending (which you get by collecting all the fragments) really isn't worth it.

If you loved FF13, you'll love this one, if you didn't love it, you won't. If you're on the fence about FF13, you'll probably dislike FF13-2. One thing that I did love (yes, it's silly), that I hope they keep for ALL future FF games, is the save anywhere feature - no need to play until you reach a save-point. Finally!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice improvement to FFXIII, June 21, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Note, I am about 30 hours into this title.

I beat FFXIII, and I enjoyed it for the battle system, soundtrack, graphics, and convoluted story-line. Part 2 has kept the same basic battle mechanics, but added to fun with a few adjustments. You have some control over the dialogue so that story seems less linear. Also, the areas have opened up and you have control over how you go through the adventure, so not a linear walk through. The free demo on PSN will give you a very good idea if you are still on the fence. I have played it through before purchasing the title.

Pros:
* The game starts you off in the heat of it, without the 30 hour tutorial of FFIII. You also have control of how your characters develop right from the start.
* Basic battle mechanics have been kept from FF XIII (YES!), but additional real time reaction sequences have been added to make it even more exciting and cinematic! (Think 'god of war', or 'dante's inferno').
* The characters and scenery look very lifelike and beautiful
* The sound (both dialogue and background music) are great.
* Monsters add diversity to your party.
* You can save almost any time which makes it great for short bits of play time.

Cons:
* The story is not as convoluted. It is much easier to follow, although still quite interesting.
* Although the story has opened up with side quests, they are essentially just scavenger hunts and they don't give you that satisfied feeling.
* The main story only takes about 30 hours (I'm near end) although doing scavenger hunts can add significantly to game time.
* levels/abilities seem to max out kind of quick, and leaving you wanting to learn more abilities.

Overall, if you liked FF XIII and want some more story this is pretty fun, but the side quests are not that exciting.

4.0 out of 5 stars A vast improvement, April 28, 2012
This review is from: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
It appears that Square has indeed made some good on the calamity that was Final Fantasy XIII, the sequel has improved on many aspects. I do like the spin they have taken on the game as a whole, time travel and re-writing time as you jump back and forth between time lines. The graphics are nothing short of awesome, and should be noted to future developers. The game play is quicker and they have refined the paradigm system even further making the series take a great step in the right direction.
When in comparison to FFXIII this sequel has sprinkled in a bit of what the latter was lacking, you now have certain side quests so to speak ( point A to point B to retrieve some medicine a guard dropped). You have the illusion of a more open world, and the ability to actually come in contact and speak with certain NPC.
I have enjoyed the time I have put into this game but the one single aspect I absolutely hated was, WHERE IS LIGHTING? The game was marketed with her on the cover! Although the story greatly prohibits her appearance immensely, I kinda felt shafted to find out she played such a minimal role in the game as whole.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite Final Fantasy, February 27, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
This game was alright. I'm an avid Final Fantasy fan and to be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this game... It wasn't terrible, but I definitely wouldn't be interested in playing it again... Usually I play through these games over and over and find so many new things to accomplish and with this one, I wanted to finish the story and be done with it. 16hrs of game play and bam! done!

‹ Previous | 1 2 344 | Next ›

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3 by Square Enix (PlayStation 3)
$19.99 $9.99