Customer Discussions > Final Fantasy IV forum

Final Fantasy series- Advice?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2009 3:10:48 PM PDT
Andrew says:
I am a huge Nintendo loyalist, and I know that Final Fantasy was originally a Nintendo franchise, so could anyone tell me which Final Fantasy game I should get first? Keep in mind that it has to be for a Nintendo system, but not FamiCom/NES or Super FamiCom/Super NES, because I don't have either. However, I have high-speed Internet, so I CAN do WiiWare and Virtual Console. I've never played Final Fantasy, so I don't know if I should start with the first one, the "best" one, or the cheapest one. PLEASE HELP! I need a Final Fantasy expert! The multiple versions of the many of the games don't simplify things either, so please include the full name and platform. I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot, but I really am clueless. Thank you so much in advance!

P.S. Emo people enjoy Final Fantasy, do they not?

Posted on May 28, 2009 6:25:16 AM PDT
J. Athy says:
Each game is independent, except for Final Fantasy X2, which I would never recommend anyway. In all honesty, the only one that came out for the NES was FFI. It was great for the time but most individuals wouldn't care for it today. For the Super NES, FFIV (known as FFII then) was really the one that sold me. Great story, fun play, and a decent challenge (many complain about few save points but that just adds some challenge). If I had to start on an older one from the Nintendo family, I'd start with FFIV.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2009 7:14:56 AM PDT
Andrew says:
Thanks so much! I'll get FFIV, then!

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 11:54:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2009 11:57:40 AM PDT
T. Paslay says:
I have over 40 Final Fantasy games spanning from the original on the NES to the recent releases on the DS. You're missing out on some of the greatest titles if you absolutely must play it on a nintendo system, but don't own a SNES. If you have a DS or a GBA (not sure if it's available on the virtual console), I would recommend Final Fantasy VI (released on the SNES as Final Fantasy III). It is considered by many loyalists to be the best in the series. It has a deeper story as well as far greater character development than those that preceeded it. Final Fantasy IV is great, but many will agree that Final Fantasy VI is better.

If you don't have a DS or a DS Lite, I would recommend getting one. They're cheap and you would have the first 6 in the series available to you as well as two of the three tactics, two of the three (soon to be four) Crystal Chronicles as well as Chrono Trigger (the best of the Square RPGs in my opinion) and a couple titles in the Mana series. Keep in mind that the new DSi does not have a Gameboy Advance slot so you would be unable to play several of those games I mentioned.

I would also recommend picking up a Playstation (the original, not the PS2 or 3) because Final Fantasy VII (regarded by many to be at least on par with Final Fantasy VI, if not better) as well as VIII, IX, Tactics, Anthology (Final Fantasy V and VI), Chronicles (Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger), Origins (Final Fantasy I and II) and Chrono Cross were all available for it. You can pick a playstation up for under $100 these days.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you, but there's just a lot to the series and it's various offshoots. If you own an applicable system though, I would recommend Final Fantasy VI. Also, you can still be a Nintendo Loyalist and own other systems. ;)

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 3:55:37 PM PST
Final Fantasy wasn't (and has never been) originally a Nintendo franchise. They were just licensed by Nintendo to be published for their systems (which were the only systems powerful enough to handle Square-Enix's games at the time).

Anyways, each Final Fantasy title is independent of the other. So you really don't need to "start" anywhere. Just look up all the titles, check out the reviews, and see which one interests you the most. FFIV is great, and it's got an overhauled, 3D remake on the Nintendo DS, so that's a good place to start.

Final Fantasy IX (9) is my top favorite and that is (originally) for the PlayStation (PS1), but you can still find it today on Amazon.com, as well as download it from the PlayStation Store for both PS3 and PSP. Same with the other two Final Fantasy games that were on the first PlayStation - Final Fantasy VII (7) and Final Fantasy VIII (8). Final Fantasy X and XII (10 and 12) came out on the PS2. I recommend 10 over 12 due to gameplay and story; but 12 wasn't that bad, just a little easy, but with some bad flaws in gameplay if you don't know what you're doing (also, the gameplay was completely different from previous FF games, which I think hurt the game more than helped it be different).

Outside of the two Online Mulitplayer Final Fantasy's (Final Fantasy XI (11) and the newest one FF XIV (14)); there is the newst one, that is actually a pretty good game, story/gameplay wise (compared to the last few that came out after the original creator's departure from the company) is Final Fantasy XIII (13) for the PS3 and Xbox360. I have it for the PS3, and it plays smoothly on that system, and it's a good game.

So, if I'd have to give you a list of FF titles to look out for and try out (and this is in regards to oldest to newest; despite old systems or not)

Final Fantasy IX (9) - PS1, downloadable on PS3/PSP from the PS Store; also available to buy the original game from Amazon.com

Final Fantasy IV (4) - Nintendo DS - great gameplay, great story; good challenge, and still available since it's fairly new. Maybe a year or two old.

Final Fantasy XIII (13) - the newest (non-online) FF title; available on PS3 and Xbox360 - just released earlier this year (2010)

Final Fantasy VI (6) - available on Gameboy Advance and PS1 (via Final Fantasy Anthology game bundle thing - available on Amazon.com). This game has a great story, and introduces the more sci-fi fantasy style that the later titles adopt. This also may become available via downloadable on the PlayStation Store for PS3/PSP. So look out for it if you find interest.

Additional titles I recommend in this franchise:

Final Fantasy VIII (8) - this is actually the very first FF title I ever played and introduced me into the series. I haven't looked back since I first saw Shiva's summon animation. Frackin' amazing and artistically inspiring. She remains to be my favorite summon of the series.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - This title is actually a remake for the PSP of the very first Tactics game. It's a spin-off, RTS (real-time strategy) game (similar to Ogre Tactics or StarCraft) and follows in the same Final Fantasy traditions of their staple fantasy settings with the job class system.

Final Fantasy X (10) - another good game for the PS2, decent graphics (even by today's standards) and decent storyline.

Also, not exactly a traditional FF title, but Dissidia Final Fantasy for the PSP is a very fun, engrossing fighting/adventure/RPG game that is a cross-over between all FF games from 1 to 10 (with secret unlockable characters from FF11 and FF12).
This also introduces you to tidbits and plotlines from the previous games and helps introduce you to the multiverse of Final Fantasy. It's a fun game, has a decent storyline, great voice acting, and visuals/cinematics, and even an upcoming sequel with additional characters being added to the roster. And yes, in this game you play as both the main Heroes from each FF title, and the main Villain. Research the game and see what you think.

Also, what the guy said before this comment said is great advice as well.

Please note: You won't ever really see me recommend Final Fantasy VII. I played that game way after I played 8 and 9, and any of the previous ones. Yes, it's a decent game, and has a decent enough story, but comparing it to the other FF titles I've played, it's story is overrated. The game in itself is highly overrated. The story is mediocre at best, and the characters aren't really that great, either. The tone of the game is continuously the same and has not variation in it, compared to the other titles prior and later in the series. The original creator of the series even said that 4 and 9 were his favorite games he made for the series. And they are, in my own opinion, by far better in terms of story/gameplay than 7. The only real reason why this game still has "life" in it's interest is because of how Square has used it to market itself continuously for it's Anniversary celebrations and releases. Again, it's overrated and I think it has past it's prime. It's not a terrible game, but it's also far from being the "greatest" game ever or best FF title.

If you want a game with better story/gameplay and characters go for Final Fantasy IV, IX, or XIII, respectively.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 11:04:40 AM PST
LynnJynh9315 says:
Final Fantasy IV Advance (GBA) This is essentially just a port of FFIV on the Gameboy Advance. I thought the story was okay, but I dislike ATB battle systems.
Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA) The story and characters are mediocre, but the battle system is really good. Still ATB, but with a job system like in FFTactics.
Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA) Most fans consider FF6 to be the best game in the series. I thought it was okay... but you should play this one first.

Final Fantasy III (DS) A remake of the original FFIII... which never came to America. I've heard this is pretty mediocre, but have never played it.
Final Fantasy IV (DS) This is actually a remake of FFIV with updated 3D graphics. Some people like it, but I'd probably go with the GBA version.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Final Fantasy IV forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  May 27, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy IV by Square Enix (Nintendo DS)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (168)