5.0 out of 5 stars sublime
Published on October 19, 2011 by johanna frappier

2.0 out of 5 stars Very over-rated and over-priced (those things being considered)
I must confess that I bought this book, thinking it was the ultimate in cemetery photography. I cared for very few of photos. Perhaps that's because they are mostly ugly old stones in the New England area and, of course, are very old and faded. I'd like to see Mr. Grant bring this camera and his trained eye to the middle part of our country--the MIdwest, particularly,...
Published 11 months ago by Charles Semones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars sublime, October 19, 2011
This review is from: Final Thoughts: Eternal Beauty in Stone (Hardcover)
I'm a fiction writer and I thrive on stimulating photos to spark my imagination. I've always loved the beauty and peace of cemetaries, so pre-ordered this book the second I discovered it. It came in the mail yesterday, and when I tell you you'll be stunned and transported by these images, I mean it! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! I can't wait to get this book signed. I'm buying more for Christmas gifts, and I'm proud to have this on display in my home for my friends and family. My favorite photos are on pages: 8, 14,18,28, 29, 38/39,40,43, 45,47, 53(holy cripes!),63(the light in this is out of this world), 65,76,80,89,125,132,and 155. Thank you, John Thomas Grant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cemetery Beauty in Book Form, October 26, 2011
This review is from: Final Thoughts: Eternal Beauty in Stone (Hardcover)
I have waited on this book for a long time. And it was worth the wait. John has put into book form what many of us already know and experience when we take a cemetery walk. The next time I am questioned why I spend time in cemeteries, instead of trying to find the right words, I can just show them this book. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words. Well done, John.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, stirring and touching!, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Final Thoughts: Eternal Beauty in Stone (Hardcover)
The first thing that struck me about this book was the size and the high quality of the paper. John Thomas Grant has done an amazing job of matching pictures with poetry (epitaphs?). I have to agree with the previous review that states this is a "coffee table style book". So true! It's the type of book that should be shared. This book will be read over and over by me, and anyone who cares to look at it. Page 53 is so amazing, and I hope everyone will notice "Will and Grace". If you know someone who appreciates the beauty of the art in cemeteries, this would be a magnificent holiday gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Passionate Journey Through a Forest of Stone, April 8, 2012
This review is from: Final Thoughts: Eternal Beauty in Stone (Hardcover)
Back in the middle of the twentieth century when I was just a wee child we often had to drive by Wyuka cemetery on our way to downtown Lincoln, Nebraska. Wyuka was a garden cemetery, modeled on Père Lachaise cemetery in Paris, but of course we didn't know that at the time. What we know was that Wyuka was a big cemetery. We also knew that when you drove by a cemetery you had to hold your breath, lest you inhale some deathly vapors. Inhaling those vapors would ultimately result in a premature agonizing death. Our friend Thomas (he was never called Tommy) Williams, who wore spectacles out of the womb, uttered words with more than two syllables and was the neighborhood know-it-all told us that was a fact. He also told us that the ivy-covered cylindrical building on the edge of the cemetery contained the fetid remains of people who didn't have enough money to pay for a burial plot. They were simply given the heave-ho into the masonry receptacle and left to rot. It was a fact. Luckily, "O" Street, which was the main vehicular artery that bordered Wyuka cemetery, didn't have any stoplights on that deadly stretch and my lead-footed mother, who usually piloted our massive Mercury Monterey on the forays downtown, (and who apparently also knew about the noxious vapors), would always rapidly motor on by. Thus details my youthful experience with cemeteries.

By neither design nor intention did I consciously avoid cemeteries. They just weren't the sort of place I ever considered as an entertainment or education option. That would change. In the early 1970's, after I had moved to California, I decided to make a go at being a professional photographer. I had dabbled in the darkroom for a few years and even made a few dollars shooting weddings, products and portraits. One of my first toe-wetting exercises was to take a photography workshop in Virginia City, Nevada, the real location of the fictional Bonanza television program. I really don't recall what, if anything, I learned in that workshop but I do remember a field trip to one of the local boot-hill-esque cemeteries. It was love at first sight. It turns out I'm not alone in my love of cemeteries. Photographers tend to like cemeteries because they are a "pure environment": what's there is supposed to be there. No extraneous clutter hampers the view. No power lines, abandoned Toyotas, for rent signs or scurrilous denizens mar the landscape. In the movie Lawrence of Arabia, someone asks Lawrence why he likes the desert. He says, "because it's clean." Cemeteries are clean.

I loved cemeteries so much that I wound up doing four books on cemetery architecture, symbolism and notable residents. In the course of researching one of my books I stumbled upon the work of John Grant. Wow! I was stunned. I immediately wanted to see more. And I did. And I continued to be amazed. I'm a documentary photographer. I take good accurate pictures; sometimes I even take a great picture. I try to take the widescreen view I see with my eyes and put it into a much condensed form that attempts to communicate to people, "look, that's what I saw". I consider it a triumph when that happens. John Grant goes one more step. Grant takes what he sees with his eyes and feels with his heart and soul and somehow magically extracts the essence of his subject and makes a picture. His subjects come alive. Sure, he does what all good photographers do. He watches the light. He watches the shadows. He looks for the right angle; the right composition; the decisive moment. Then, snap! In the blink of an eye the image is rendered. It's captured. Stand behind John Grant and peer over his shoulder with your own camera and capture the same image. Your image may be similar, but won't be the same. Guaranteed. John Grant adds heart. His heart. And he communicates what's in his heart to ours.

It's almost a disservice to try to analyze John Grant's pictures with words. It may sound trite, but the pictures speak for themselves. They really do. There is an old saw that states, "a picture is worth a thousand words". John Grant's pictures aren't just worth a thousand words, they're little novellas. Each picture tells a story. A story in stone.

Slowly go through the pages in Final Thoughts. You'll see what I mean. A soldier steels himself to go off to war. The gravestones of a husband and wife lean together, reconnecting in the afterlife. A child prays. An angel weeps. The sad eyes of a maiden look onto the cold, cold ground. A young child is full of hope and a bride looks towards a life that will never be. A mother rests her head to sleep for a final time. A drummer boy proudly marches off to war, never to return. Hands clasp. A chain is broken. Lives are tallied. And then it's goodbye. Or is it? John Grant's photographs show us that cemeteries may be the realm of the dead, but they are for the living. Get thee to a cemetery. And see it through John Grant's eyes and heart. View the photographs in Final Thoughts with your heart. They do not speak of death. They most assuredly speak of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding in every way!, October 24, 2011
This review is from: Final Thoughts: Eternal Beauty in Stone (Hardcover)
The people who will find this book to their liking are many. Those who appreciate beauty, fine photography, history and cemeteries will consider this one of their new favorite books. While I have come to know and appreciate the photographer/author's work via Facebook, I have been stunned to see the incredible work of this man as presented in Final Thoughts. I received my copy only two days ago and have been through the entire book two times and look forward to another visit to the past in the near future. Even though the cemeteries featured are all located in the northeast, any person who enjoys the subject matter will find this book a delight. The physical quality of the book is very good and a bargain for the price. Definitely a book you want in your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Display of Cemeteries, October 23, 2011
Becky R "Becky R" (Whitehall, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Thoughts: Eternal Beauty in Stone (Hardcover)
"Final Thoughts: Eternal Beauty in Stone" is a great example of cemeteries and how cemeteries should be viewed. The thoughts and art work that the dead have left for us are brought back to life with Mr. Grants fantastic art work and the epitaph's left to us throughout the ages.

In this book, the reader will find a collection of the author's best photographs paired with different sayings that are found on different tombstones. This book is really a must in everybody's collection. It fits in with the cemetery lover to the history buff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, October 18, 2011
Dear Mr. Grant,

There have only been a few photographers that have really caught my attention. Ansel Adams and Matthew Brady and now you. This is a wonderful collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars FINAL THOUGHTS, October 20, 2011
This review is from: Final Thoughts: Eternal Beauty in Stone (Hardcover)
I TAKE GREAT COMFORT IN GOING TO THE GRAVES OF MY LOVED ONES...AND I TOOK INTEREST IN JOHN GRANTS BOOK, BUT DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT, OTHER THAN SEEING 'BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS'...BUT BEING JUST HALF WAY THRU THE BOOK, I AM BLOWN AWAY WITH FEELING AND THOUGHTS THAT I NEVER WOULD HAVE EXPECTED...EACH PHOTO IS FAR FROM DEATH, AND TO ME SEEMS TO BELLOW 'LIFE'...AND MY THOUGHTS SO FAR ARE MANY, BUT THE ONE THING THAT FOR ME 'POPS' IS READING THE WORD ON THE STONE...A WORD I HAVE SEEN ON MANY STONES, BUT SOMEHOW JOHN GRANTS SEEMS TO CAPTURE...THE WORD 'BORN'...

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning., May 7, 2013
This review is from: Final Thoughts: Eternal Beauty in Stone (Hardcover)
Being a long time admirer of cemeteries & cemetery art I knew I would enjoy this book. I was, however, unprepared for just how much! Each photograph is more beautiful than the next. I only wish I could make my camera do what John Grant seems to effortlessly do with his. I am truly proud to have this book in my collection & I can only hope there will be more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Final Thoughts:Eternal Beauty in Stone, wonderful book, July 1, 2012
This review is from: Final Thoughts: Eternal Beauty in Stone (Hardcover)
I bought this book after being contacted by a wonderful lady known by the author after they took photos of my lovely daughter's headstone. It showed me he/they have great compassion for those who have passed and how we memoriialize them in our cemeteries. He did a wonderful job of photographing them in ways I would never think of. He also helped make it easier to view them without the creepiness others see from the outside of the fences. It is on my coffee table for others to view and appreciate things not normally seen by our simple views when we visit maybe just one grave.
Great job John. Keep up the good work.

Joyce and Ed Masher

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Final Thoughts: Eternal Beauty in Stone
Final Thoughts: Eternal Beauty in Stone by John Thomas Grant (Hardcover - October 28, 2011)
$34.99 $25.07