4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps You Engrossed and Enjoyed This One
It has been a while since I have read a good mystery / thriller novel, and I am glad I found Allan Leverone's Final Vector.

Published 22 months ago by Michael Gallagher

3.0 out of 5 stars IT'S OK
Final Vector is about a terrorist plot to kill the President.
It's an average spy thriller, taking place wholly in the US.
The characters' development was average, and you really did not care greatly for them.It's an OK book, which won't be remembered for long.
Published 22 months ago by Manofsixties

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps You Engrossed and Enjoyed This One, August 22, 2012
This review is from: Final Vector (Kindle Edition)

The book started off a little slow for me, but after about 5% or so into the Kindle version the action really picked up and it was non-stop until the end. What I liked the most about this book was the book was crisp and well-told, the conversations between the characters are to the point and don't drone on for the sake of word counts in the book, and, most important, the facts and circumstances of the book - with one or two small exceptions - are believable to the average reader. You will find your pulse rate rising towards the end of the book (I did), and this last half of this book was really hard to put down and will keep you engrossed in the story and lose all track of time.

I picked this up for free during a Kindle promotion and, as I type this review I see it is still free vs. the normal pricing of $4.99: even at the normal pricing, you will certainly receive more than $4.99 of entertainment value from this book. I'm looking forward to reading more from Mr. Leverone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced thriller with plenty of action, March 11, 2011
This review is from: Final Vector (Kindle Edition)
Nick is an air traffic controller at the Boston Consolidated TRACON in New Hampshire, where he's responsible for sequencing and spacing all of the arrival traffic for Boston's Logan Airport. When his wife is murdered, Nick takes some time off but decides to get back to work to ease the pain and get his mind off his loss. At the same time, a man known as Tony Andretti, who is actually from the Middle East, is organizing a sleeper cell of terrorists who are planning to shoot down Air Force One as it heads for Boston with the president of the United States on board.

In Final Vector, Allan Leverone has created a thriller with a regular guy as the main character. I've been reading a lot of thrillers this year, and it seems like most have a police officer or government agent (or former cop or government agent) who serves as the hero. But in this story, the guy who is trying to save the day is an air traffic controller. Granted, he has hundreds of people's lives in his control every day, but generally air traffic controllers don't know how to stop terrorists from killing the president! It was refreshing to have a more typical person in that role.

Nick is a likable character, and many other characters are as well ~ although I have to say many of them end up dead. There is quite a bit of violence in this novel, but that's to be expected in a thriller like this. It's not as intense as some other thrillers. It's really a straightforward storyline with few twists. It's very easy to follow along yet it's not completely predictable.

I do have to get one thing off my chest, which probably doesn't mean anything to anyone else, but I have to say it. Leverone chooses Hull, Massachusetts, as the location from which the terrorists will shoot down the plane. I lived in Hull for 15 years, and I was a bit frustrated by the inaccurate description of the town. However, it would be the perfect location for terrorists to go to shoot down an airplane (which is kind of scary in retrospect) so it was a good choice overall.

If you enjoy thrillers but want one that's not too scary and doesn't take constant concentration to follow along with all the overlapping storylines, this is a great option. It's a fast-moving storyline with quite a bit of action. And you'll find you care about the main characters ~ even the terrorists are interesting and unique. You'll also learn quite a bit about air traffic control from the author who is, himself, an air traffic controller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edge of your seat thrillride!, February 23, 2011
Crystal Fulcher (Beaufort, NC United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Final Vector (Kindle Edition)
If you like edge-of-your-seat suspense, then try out Mr. Leverone. From page one to the end you will be breathless with the suspense. I loved this book. I love how the plot wove itself and how the action played out. The writing was well done, the characters were interesting and the descriptions of how air traffic control works were interesting and informative.

I don't really know what else to say about this book - it is just simply an entertaining and enjoyable and intense story. Mr. Leverone understands how to craft and exciting suspense novel. The bad guys are scary, the good guys are heroic. Final Vector is hard to put down and I look forward to more works from Mr. Leverone in the future.

This is one of the things I love about book blogging - find new authors from smaller presses that are true gems. Final Vector is definitely one of those.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and exciting!, February 24, 2011
This review is from: Final Vector (Kindle Edition)
This story unfolds quickly with drama and intense action. There are numerous edge of the seat moments and the author presents scenes that paint a vivid picture of violence, many chapters had my heart racing. Final Vector was absolutely absorbing! I highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything I look for in a thriller, except..., May 30, 2013
This review is from: Final Vector (Kindle Edition)
I'm suffering from sleep deprivation as I write this, because I couldn't put this book down last night until I finished it. First, the good stuff:

- Well rounded, believeable characters. Some of the characters don't live so very long, and even those are well fleshed out, not throwaway cardboard. You care that they just got murdered; they're not just fodder. And of course, you're rooting for the main characters (well, and against some of them!).
- Suspense! And lots of it. The end of each chapter was a cliffhanger for that character/scene and then he'd go off to another tense scene, etc. He really ratcheted up the pacing and tension this way. Well done and highly addictive. The pacing was awesome; it just never, ever let up. I can't think of a single spot where it dragged. No way, no how.
- The technical detail was just right. The air traffic control technical details were fascinating, yet not overdone. He used jargon I wouldn't have understood on my own, but he very neatly and gracefully explained the jargon words. Well done.

So this was a debut novel???

OK, now the less than good. The editing could have been better. I will usually spot a typo or two in nearly any book, but such things were more extensive here than I like to see or needed to be. One passage explaining the structure of the building was used in more than one place, if not verbatim, than nearly so. Some transposed words, that sort of thing. This is a bit of a peeve of mine, and it is testament to the strength of the book in all other aspects that I really, really enjoyed it despite the editing issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Final Vector by Allan Leverone, July 17, 2013
Sharon Menear (West Palm Beach, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Vector (Kindle Edition)
Allan Leverone's FINAL VECTOR held my interest from beginning to end as the suspense increased to a heart-pounding climax. I could not put the book down and kept turning pages until the thrilling ending, which is the best compliment any author can receive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Adventurous Thriller!, May 30, 2011
This review is from: Final Vector (Kindle Edition)
If I could only use five words to review Allen Leverone's Final Vector, I would choose "edge of your seat suspense". Fortunately, I can be as expansive as I like and I can tell you that not only does Final Vector keep you on pins and needles, it's an exciting joy ride of thrills and very well written, to boot.

Final Vector grabs you from page one, locks you in its literary jaws and doesn't let go. The overall plot is a thrilling, if simple, one - - terrorists plan to shoot down Air Force One with the President aboard. Of course, no plan runs totally smoothly and this one is no exception.

Given this very nail biting scenario, it's a bit surprising that the President himself is not the book's central character but Mr. Leverone did an absolutely fantastic job with his character development, from the everyday hero, Nick, to the soulless leader of the terrorist group, Tony along with a helathy smattering of characters in between. So well defined was Nick that my heart pounded in anticipation and fear for him, a nice little feat by Mr. Leverone, given that I could only visualize Nick in my mind as I turned the page. I felt hi jumble of emotions, his grief, his anger and his surge of energy. Talk about an adrenaline rush, book-style!

The only weak aspect to Final Vector, in my opinion, was the young female FBI agent with an eye toward Nick. I didn't feel as connected to her and the attraction between the two felt a bit rushed and pushy, especially given what happened to his wife within a very short timespan.

That fact notwithstanding, Final Vector was an utterly satisfying read, one that I sped through and I simply didn't want to put down until the nerveracking ending. It will well suit the adventure fan, as wel as thriller fans and fans of espionage. If Hollywood is listening, Final Vector has summer blockbuster written all over it.

I won't hesitate to recommend Final Vector to any and all and I look forward with great anticipation to author Allen Leverone's next effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars This new book is a partial mystery to me..., October 5, 2013
This review is from: Final Vector (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this book a year + ago and wrote and published a review on it. I spotted it in the top 100 paid Kindle books today and noticed the cover was different. I decided to look at my review so I clicked on it and when the overview page came up I immediately noticed there was no statement proclaiming that I had bought this book in the past. Hmmm, perhaps it's a different author with a book using the same title? No, a quick look at my Kindle archive shows it's the same book, same title, same author, but it sports a different cover. Deeper inspection reveals this is a third edition, published in September of 2013 by a different publishing house. So, what happened to my review and, additionally, why was my purchase record purged? Take this as a warning; if all the purchase records were removed for everyone who bought this title in the past, you might be purchasing a book you have already paid for. Check your archives before you buy. I don't know if this is an isolated glitch or an across-the-board incident, so be advised...you don't need to buy it twice.

It appears that the author may have paid attention to the original reviewers who said this one could lose 20-30% of its length. It looks to have been shortened from its former 400 pages to less than 300. He may have taken the 78+ reviewers' suggestions to remove some of the gratuitous and overly descriptive violence in this edition; if so, good for him. The 78+ reviewers who lost their reviews had this one pegged as a four star read and that's just how the five (now six) current reviewers rate it. I'm not going to purchase and reread it because I've already read it and taken the time to review it (twice)! If the author puts it up at no charge in the future and advises me in the comment section as to when he is doing so, I will gladly download it, fully reread it and write a newly revised review. That's the best I can do for now. Please find my earlier review as follows:

September 6, 2012
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
If you're looking for a book which is fast paced and engaging, perhaps you've found it in "Final Vector". This suspense/thriller starts off unforgettably and doesn't let up until the final page. The premise is plausible and the story is fairly well written although there is a bit too much reiteration, which made the book about 20% longer than it needed to be. I also felt that the violence was a bit gratuitous and unnecessarily graphic. That being said, the story read well and kept you turning the pages to find out how things end up and isn't that what you look for in a suspense/thriller?

3.0 out of 5 stars IT'S OK, August 26, 2012
This review is from: Final Vector (Kindle Edition)
Final Vector is about a terrorist plot to kill the President.
It's an average spy thriller, taking place wholly in the US.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you going!, August 25, 2012
This review is from: Final Vector (Kindle Edition)
This is my first review. By now you have a good idea of what this book is about, so I will move right to how I liked it. It was great! Ok, the cliche...I couldn't put it down. I liked that the action was ongoing and while there was violence, it did not overwhelm me. The premise seemed believable, I enjoyed the insight about traffic controllers, and the wee bit of romance. The hero is a everyday guy!

Final Vector