on October 24, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
First I must say that I am sad to see this series end, but I have enjoyed it every step of the way. I have been enamored with Patch since we were first introduced to this charismatic and mysterious character in Hush, Hush. I have also loved Becca Fitzpatrick's ability to surprise me. Most books I read I can predict the ending, but I've never been able to predict hers which I admire greatly. In Fitzpatrick's last installment of her series, she doesn't disappoint. I was glued to my seat the whole time, and I read the book in only a day. I felt that Nora's character developed a lot throughout the book and by the end I felt that she was a much stronger person than she was in the first novel. Patch continued to steal my heart with his witty/sexual comments, his strength, and most of all his absolute love and dedication to Nora. Scott was in this novel as well, but I would have liked to see him more in the middle of the novel. However, he is still there and is especially important at the end, so don't worry fans of Scott! We also found out a secret about Vee that I never saw coming, so again bravo to you Becca Fitzpatrick you shocked me once again. The plot line of the story was well-paced and kept me interested the whole time. The ending of story was epic (once again I couldn't predict what was going to happen which made it so much better) and I even started tearing up since I have become so attached to these characters. However, it had a very satisfying ending and left me as a reader feeling happy for the characters. If you have any doubts about reading the last book of this series I must insist that you read it! It was absolutely fantastic and definitely worth the money.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 24, 2012
****LIGHT SPOILERS****

I literally just finished reading Finale. My emotions are all over the place right now (if that's any indication of how engaging this book was), so allow me to just have a moment here: OHMYGODICAN'TBELIEVEALLTHESEFEELINGS!!!

Okay, continuing. As you can gather from the title, I do not regret buying the final book for a split second. Of course, I was so emotionally invested in the characters already from book one. You're also probably wondering why I gave it four stars rather than the full five if I was so crazy about it, and the answer is that I had expectations. My expectations were actually quite specific (I'll get to that), so it wasn't just a general thing that I could turn a blind eye to. I had an idea in my head that I was expecting throughout the whole story line.

My praise:
I was glad that, even more than she already was in the beginning, Nora had a sense of quick wit and independence. She wasn't a pathetic little teenager squealing every time her ridiculously gorgeous boyfriend looked at her. She took almost everything into her own hands.
The story line was very quick, complex and had me engrossed through out. It had my brain working wondering what was going to happen next or how something was going to play out.
As far as I recall at the moment, Becca Fitzpatrick did an excellent job, of not leaving many loose ends untied *within this book alone*- which was pretty hard, I imagine, considering this was the final book so it all had to be closed (see more on cons)
It wasn't any easy read. The story wasn't your typical happily ever after. I, personally, sobbed about three times throughout. Yeah...
The ending did have a little surprise that never crossed my mind, and I was OVER THE TOP EXCITED about it, but it did make one aspect of my disappointment a lot worse.

Cons:
As far as the loose ends go for the book, Becca did well. Now as for the series as a whole... not so much. I WAS (oddly) happy to see one character that I didn't think (and shouldn't want) to see again- if only for nostalgia, but it stops there. I had a lot of questions left about other characters. Scott's mom for example, I didn't get the pleasure of seeing her again and she was very important (to the epilogue, I'd think) considering everything that happens.
Also, I believe it was in the last book, that Scott showed he had more of a romantic interest in Nora. And it seemed that Becca was headed a certain direction with that and the story but just randomly changed her mind and now it's like "oh, ok. We'll just keep feeding a little of that to them but never really comment on it". That felt like it was left unresolved. I mean, considering what happened in the end, I guess it showed SOMETHING but not really.
I was very upset that I got so attached to these characters (Scott, Vee... PATCH!!!) and it felt like the book lacked them A LOT. Especially Patch. I didn't have that feeling that I had in the first books with their relationship. The first books felt like they were mostly focused on Patch and Nora's relationship and the business with the fallen angels and all that was kind of just something to give them purpose together and keep the story flowing. In this book, it felt like a HUGE change of direction had been taken. It was all about the war and this random character Dante, leaving Scott, Vee and Patch (PATCH!) to get small amounts of time almost as if to say, "don't say you didn't get any!" I was severely pissed. I missed Vee's diva attitude, Scott's obnoxious lovable remarks and most importantly, the cocky, intense and dark ways of Patch. I felt that, for the most part, the passion between Nora and Patch wasn't there. It was all business. They felt like a boring married couple... which leads me to the expectations I was talking about.
Speaking of not tying loose ends, I will quote silence to show my expectations:

"I hesitated, one big question looming in my mind. Sex was a big deal I wasn't sure I was ready to complicate our relationship-or my life- that way, and that was only top on a long list of repercussions. If a fallen angel who slept with a human created a Nephil- a being that was never meant to inhabit the Earth- what happened when a fallen angel slept with a Nephil? Based on what I'd seen of the icy relationship between angels and Nephilim, it probably hadn't happened yet, but that only made me more leery of the consequences."

All throughout the book I was waiting for this but it never happened. And in the end, with the huge surprise about Patch, I wanted it even more- it just made sense for it to happen. But when we were just given a vague, closing description of something... it just felt like a slap in the face. As much as I could tell Patch truly loved Nora, it just didn't feel right. It felt like the spunky relationship they once had- that made me fall in love with them- was absent... And in the last book! I just didn't feel like I got proper closure.
But, I still rated it 4 stars because I was CONTENT with what I got.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 30, 2012
SIGH

BECCA FITZPATRICK! WHY??

This book suffers the exact same "unnecessary fourth book syndrome" as Breaking Dawn, in all the wrong ways.

I enjoyed the first three books of this series. They weren't the best written stories ever, but I got attached to Nora and Patch and Vee and Scott. Then came Finale. As a side note, this book also might earn the "Worst Title Ever" award.

Reasons why this book sucked:

*************************
(SPOILER ALERT FRIENDS)
*************************

1) Nora gets everything she ever wanted. The same thing happened in Breaking Dawn where Bella basically gets it all, no matter how impossible it should have been. See rest of this list for details.

2) Vee has been Nephilim this whole time, she just didn't know it. What? Seriously? This is so beyond stupid and completely ruined Vee's character.

3) Patch gets to "feel" forever. Apparently Detective Basso was an archangel in disguise! Because Patch has been such an awesome fallen angel, he lets him stay immortal AND he gets to "feel" now! WOO. Sorry, but this is dumb.

4) Patch turns against his own people. He and Nora talk another angel into gathering every fallen angel feather so that every single fallen angel will be chained in hell forever and ever. He does this because he is so in loooove with Nora that he will destroy the lives of all of his friends. Apparently he is the only "good" fallen angel out there.

5) Dabria and Patch and cheating allegations. Again. Nora, being the immature and overly jealous teenage girl that she is, thinks Patch might be cheating on her. Again. Haven't we been through this before?

6) An immature teenage girl is the leader of an army of Nephilim. This might be the #1 most ridiculous part of this story. Their former leader was an imposing older man. He went completely bonkers and did a blood transfusion to turn Nora Nephilim so he could make her leader of his army. What army is going to follow a high school girl in to war? Seriously? Nora attends her high school classes (sporadically), and then goes to war meetings after school. It's so beyond dumb.

7) Nora's training sessions. She does 15-mile sprints before school every day! Does this girl ever sleep? The training sessions are boring as hell. And so overdone in these YA Paranormal books. Every YA Paranormal these days has tons of "training" sessions and they're almost all boring. She also spends one day learning sword fighting with Patch and suddenly becomes a samurai ninja girl. Nice.

8) The epilogue. There's a hint of a relationship starting between Scott and Vee during this book. But then Scott gets killed (boohoo). Then we get this epilogue of Nora at Vee's wedding, where she's marrying some character we've never met and for some strange reason I DON'T CARE.

So basically, Nora gets Patch. Patch gets to feel. All the fallen angels are dead so Nora doesn't have to swear fealty, ever. Vee is Nephilim, so Nora doesn't have to keep hiding stuff. Vee gets married to her true love (some guy named Gavin that we never meet). Everyone lives happily ever after (except Scott who died, but he was barely a blip in this book anyways so I didn't even care).

All this is wrapped up in hundreds of pages of terribly boring dialogue, boring training sessions, even more boring dialogue, and a scant few action scenes (that aren't particularly well done).

To say I'm disappointed in Finale would be an understatement.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 14, 2013
Format: Hardcover
!!!!!!!!!!!!~*SPOILERS AHEAD-READ AT OWN DECISION*~!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND LONG REVIEW AHEAD!!!!

I was so eager to read this book I had it on my Amazon wishlist since last August, waiting for it to come out so I could buy it! Well, I never ended up buying it but my town library had a new copy on hand that I could borrow for FREE--who would refuse that? So naturally, I borrowed it and read this book in a day and a half. It took me a while to remember what had happened since the last book, so I re-read online summaries of Crescendo & Silence. Then I began excitedly reading Finale.

After finishing it today, everything came to full circle. The plot line was as banal and unoriginal as Becca Fitzpatrick's title for her final (pun intended) book, Finale. I thought that since all the previous books built up this dramatic and thrilling war between the fallen angels and Nephilim, Becca Fitzpatrick would bring on some real destruction and havoc. Unfortunately, the book trudges slowly for a few hundred pages about Nora's annoying,immature personality and constant fear and whiny attitude about leading the Nephilim army. If I was Nephilim, I wouldn't want some immature teenage girl to lead me to my 'promised' freedom when she clearly has no idea what she's doing at all.

The parts about Nora being able to freely skip out of her school and drive off school property? Unbelievable, and just utterly ridiculous. How can any student just walk off school property without being chased by some security? Becca Fitzpatrick makes school seem like an optional, open campus thing with no repercussions whatsoever. Nora playing hooky so easily was just not real to me and I couldn't believe that part of the book.

Patch, like many other reviewers noted, virtually has no character depth in this book. Patch follows Nora around and because their relationship is 'forbidden' most of their exchanges are through phone or sneaky meetings where Becca Fitzpatrick would try to squeeze in some fumbling and awkward teenage kissing, which always gets interrupted somehow. When I was reading the parts with Patch, I got so fed up and almost expected Nora to tell Patch, "Jump!" and Patch would reply, "How high?"

Vee, is also virtually absent in this book except for scenes where her character is utilized to further Nora's goals. Basically, Vee is a pawn and Nora's insecure best-friend/sidekick/apparent Nephilim? <-- WHAT WAS THAT ALL ABOUT!? "Oh hey Nora, by the way, thought you should just know. I just cut my finger the other day and it magically healed. I also had major PMS and found out I'm Nephilim." Really, Becca Fitzpatrick?? REALLY? Vee-a Nephilim? That was the stupidest plot twist/addition I've ever heard of! And it made me even angrier than those authors/producers that make their characters realize that whatever reality they thought was real, actually was all a dream.

To me, the book was just a jumbled mess and it was clear that Becca Fitzpatrick had trouble explaining all the plot and tying up loose ends so she just decided to off Scott, have Nora miraculously defeat a powerful Nephilim, and somehow Detective Basso is actually an archangel--that grants Patch FEELING! I mean come on! That is so cheesy, the one thing between Nora and Patch was that Patch could not feel physically, so for Basso to grant Patch feeling, is just a giant, tacky arrow pointing to: Sex, and more making out.

Marcie is mentioned abruptly at the rushed epilogue (3 years later) to have randomly died because she, as the offspring of two pure Nephilim, could not survive for long. What was the point of introducing her in Finale? I feel like she was stuck in there just to push the unmoving boulder of writer's block through the story. Also, I just love how Vee gets married to some guy named Gavin--actually I hated it.

I would have preferred an epilogue where Nora and Patch discuss their future and possibly Heaven. However, none of that happens as the main characters rush off to have sex in the end.

THE END. Literally. A fight happens, but it was just anti-climatic and kind of lame. Why did no archangels interfere with Dante's crazy plan, or even some even higher ups in Heaven? Well Becca Fitzpatrick doesn't want to open that can of worms because religious debates would fly everywhere so she keeps it simple and contained to just... Angels. Corrupt angels, strict angels, angels that don't really seem to care.

Feel free to read the book if you want, but in my honest opinion, it was a bit of a let down and I only read it to quench my desire to know what happens in the end and to the characters. I wish the story was written better, but it was really rushed and I still had many questions left unanswered, as I'm sure lots of others readers did, as well.

Sorry for the long review! I had to get my frustration out! Haha
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 23, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
Knowing that release day in my country (New Zealand) was at 5pm, I kept hitting refresh on my kindle as I was so excited to start reading this book. When it finally came through, I literally put the kids to bed, put aside the book I was currently on and began reading....I did not put my kindle down till I was finished well after midnight....

I loved this book.....I thought it was a fitting end to one of the best series I have ever read..... I liked how the story continued right where the last book ended, and how the writing kept me devouring it right till the end.....

I was a little upset about one part towards the end of the book, but the Epilogue more than made up for it.....

I am going to miss my Patch addiction so much and thanks to Becca Fitzpatrick for this wonderful series and these wonderful characters that have kept us entertained and delighted for the last couple of years!!!!
on October 27, 2012
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I wasn't sure I wanted a fourth book to a originally planned trilogy, but now that I've finished Finale, I'm so happy that the author decided to conclude this series this way! The ending was perfect and fitting; I really couldn't have imagined it any other way. The plot was almost without any faults and though many sad things happened, I loved the conclusion.

The Plot: Fitzpatrick's Finale never slows down. You don't ever get a pause and that's what was so captivating while reading this novel. There was so much happening at the same time and I couldn't put Finale down for a second. Nora's problems were piling up and I loved how everything that could go wrong, almost ever did. It gave the book a new edge. Furthermore the whole thing with the devilcraft was a side story that didn't bore but entertained. However the thing that I didn't like at all was that Nora's problem with devilcraft was actually a huge deal and it was resolved like it was nothing? I mean, then why put this in the story anyway? (please read the book to understand what I'm talking about!)

The Characters: Nora shows us a new side to her. She is tougher and less whinier than usual. Although sometimes she could still get on my nerves, I really started to like her! Yet I think that her emotions could have been a lot more on edge than Fitzpatrick showed us, she was in a really crappy situation and sometimes I felt that she was too calm. Patch was his usual perfect self, no problems there, at all! Vee's secret was completely out of the blue and I didn't think it fit the story somehow; it was too fitting to be what it was. Scott, I love you!

Finale was a wonderful conclusion to one of my favorite series. Not everything can be perfect and I didn't expect it to be, either. It was good enough for me and hopefully, others will think so too! If you haven't picked this series up yet, do it now that you can read all of it in one sitting :)! And if you had mixed feelings about a fourth book, trust me, it was worth it!
on November 6, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
I don't even know what to say about this book. Especially spoiler free. (I'll try, but I make no promises) First let me say, I actually really liked the first book. I admit it. I really really enjoyed reading that book.

This is my Hush Hush timeline.

Hush Hush: Love it! Pretty cliche and corny at times but I still loved it.

Crescendo: That was a horrible sequel. Hopefully she'll do better on this last book (because at the time, there was only going to be three books)

Silence: What was the point of this book?

And now for Finale:

Let me first start out with a couple lines from this book:

"I flung my mouth against his." ---really? That . . . ok.

"Oh, Patch!" I flung my arms around his neck, tears warming my cheeks. "What are we going to do?" --- Nora probably says, 'Oh Patch' about fifty times in this book.

"Don't talk that way, Patch," I whispered, emotion catching my voice. "You're scaring me." ---This line is sooo original.

"I'm scared, Vee. So very scared." ---WHO SAYS THAT?

**SPOLIER**Ok, at the end of this book, Scott dies. And Vee and Scott had been going out...hmm, maybe a week. So this is what Nora is thinking at the end of the book. "And Scott. Oh, Scott. How would I tell Vee? How would I help her get through the loss, the heartache, the despair? ---THEY WERE GOING OUT. A. WEEK.**SPOILER**

Now that the horrible writing and corny, oh so very corny, lines are out of the way...

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF...GOING TO SCHOOL? This book takes place in the middle of October. And she goes to school ONCE. And nobody seems to notice. Plus, we see her mom maybe, oh...twice. Oh, and that's only during the first half of the book. Yeah...ok.

So many things are introduced in this book that weren't even mentioned in the other books. Like, not at all, even though they 'apparently' a 'big' part of the 'plot.'

There were new characters in this book that seemed to come out of nowhere. Including the 'villain.' Sorry...but when you have a four part series, the villain for a fourth and FINAL (THANK GOD) book should not be introduced as a new character in the FOURTH book. Also (I am doing everything I can not to spoil this, because it's just so ridiculous), two original characters from the previous books were suddenly 'revealed.' I don't know how else to put it. But they were also 'revealed' in chapters less then two pages. Not kidding.

It's like....the author already gave up writing this book even before she began writing it. It really felt like it, even from the beginning. There wasn't even anything between Patch and Nora (spark wise). I actually started hating them together.

This a random little part that bugged me: These fallen angels wanted to kill Nora, so when she was working out on morning, she had to 'hide' from a hunting party sent to kill her. Then, when there was a halloween party at her house a couple nights later, they came in and again 'tried' to kill her. First of all: I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to hide in a tree from fallen angels. Second of all: Since they already knew where she lived, why did they wait until the party to attack her? When they could have at ANY time. Thirdly: I'm pretty sure if a fallen angel wanted you dead...you would be dead. Juuuust saying.

AND THE EPILOGUE. Kill me now.

I'm just going to stop because I'm getting myself worked up. But there's so many more things that I could rant about.

But let you off with saying this:

Thank you, Becca Fitzpatrick, for making a four book series that could have been ONE.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 17, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition
Becca Fitzpatrick grew up reading Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden with a flashlight under the covers. She graduated college with a degree in health, which she promptly abandoned for storytelling. And now she has completed the final book of the Hush, Hush supernatural saga. It is here and done and was anticipated by a very diverse group of readers. Readers who have been following along have had lots of great things to say about Finale. Nora Gray, a Nephilim, is in love with Patch, a fallen angel. Their love is forbidden. As fate would have it, they are supposed to be on opposite sides of a war between Nephilim and Fallen Angels. This war has a new leader in Nora, since her father had passed. She swears her oath to serve on her fathers death bed. Unfortunately for Nora and Patch this makes their relationship even more strained. Together Nora and Patch devise a plan, so that perspective groups believe them to be loyal to their kind. Nora learns to fight and become more agile, and somewhat of a trickster with the help of Scott, an old childhood friend, and Dante, a Nephilim trainer. Through Dante, Nora also does a drug called Devil Craft. It is a power enhancing drug. She is warned by Patch not to use it. Now drunk with its power, Nora shuts Patch out, and keeps her secrets from him. As the soon to be battle between these two forces grows and builds, Nora and Patch are faced with fighting for a war they never encouraged or fighting for their love. Either way, Nora must decide the fate of her world. Fitzpatrick has done an exceptional job of making readers feel attached to these characters strengths, weaknesses and how they handle relationships and problems. There is no predictability as the story unwinds with readers as they learn and grow with each character. This saga could be enjoyed by teens and adults who love a good strong character and storyline that doesn't disappoint. As an extra added bonus this book is connected to the latest technology. Readers can get the free app so they can watch the books video and get exclusive insight to more extras pertaining to this series.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 27, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
I have previously called the Hush, Hush series one of my favorite guilty pleasures: I know I shouldn't like it, but Patch was too tempting. Well, the last book of the series disappointed me. I loved the first book for the discovery of a new love in the form of a very bad boy who just may want to kill you. The danger factor was irresistible. That aspect lessened throughout the series as the mythology increased until the third book where the mythology expanded. Unfortunately in the final book, the mythology has expanded to nearly push out the romance.

Another reason that made the series a guilty pleasure was the sexual tension that was tantalizing and well written. Fitzpatrick had Patch back Nora (and vicariously the reader) against the wall, about to give in and then have Nora's mother walk in or some other thing to call it off. Even though the series has its supernatural reason to delay the act (Patch as a guardian angel can't feel any physical sensations.), there was still a lot of innuendo and at least the admission of strong desires, which many series shy away from. However, there is almost none of that in this installment, though, I think, in the end they do it. (It's hinted at in the epilogue with "I have all of you: mind, body and soul." talk). There is no graphic scene or a young woman's pondering of it.

As far as the mythology is concerned, it is what it is. I didn't find it too terribly interesting and even a bit confusing. If you asked me to explain fallen angels and Nephilim, where they come from and why they so hate each other, I don't think I could. Vee's takes a new role in the the mythology at the very end of this book was a "what the...?" moment and really what was the point of it now?

To conclude, what reading this book made me want to do is go back and read the first book again to relive the deliciousness of the series that was lost here.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 25, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
I don't think I have ever felt this profound sense of finality before while reading a book. Not since reading the final book in The Hunger Games trilogy (Mockingjay) have I felt this way. Like I don't know what to do now that this series is over. Now all of a sudden all I can hear in my head is Celine Dion's song "Where does my heart beat now".

My best friends got me hooked on Hush Hush, and it was so good it sparked a deep love of reading in me that I still haven't been able to quench.

Finale starts off where Silence finished. Nora having sworn to Hank (The Black Hand) that she would lead his Nephilim army or she would forfeit her life and the life of her mother if she failed. Patch and Nora have to keep their relationship a secret so they don't upset the Nephilim but at the same time Nora has to keep her bargain with the Archangels to bring peace. I don't think I have been so nervous while reading a book EVER! I thought about just reading on the toilet because I knew eventually this book would lead me there! After having gone through all the ups and downs with Patch and Nora as we did in the first 3 books, this one sure does top all of the others for most suspenseful. I tried so hard to figure out which way the story was going to go, but every time I did it would veer off into another direction. I was second guessing EVERY. SINGLE. CHARACTER. You couldn't help it, everyone is a suspect (or so says the authorities.)

The most shocking moment I absolutely DID NOT see coming involved a beloved character. I can't believe as many times as I have read this series I didn't see this coming! To some it might not be a surprise but to me it was and THAT gave to story a whole new punch!

This book made me cry, and that almost NEVER happens! I mean the book has to be pretty darn drastic for me to start crying. (That should tell you a little about this book all by itself) I was beside myself with grief over a particular scene I also didn't see coming, but I won't divulge the details due to spoilers. This was one of the hardest books to read because it isn't easy to continue with a lump in your throat and tears in your eyes. It doesn't end on a sad note though. The conclusion was well done and beautifully bittersweet giving what the readers of this series craved most. Finality. I am so glad I stumbled onto this series and even though it is over I know it will stay with me for a long time to come.