5.0 out of 5 stars very satisfied

Published on July 3, 2011 by Justin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, But Consistant, July 3, 2011
This review is from: Finally Famous (Audio CD)
I'm neither a huge fan or hater of Big Sean, so I was skeptical when I listened to this; but, considering he is signed to G.O.O.D. music, I thought I'd check him out. Big Sean has been compared to the likes of Drake & Cudi for his sound and flow. This album is solid all the way through, with a couple of great songs and then some decent to good songs. Considering the producers were Kanye West & No ID, this had to have some bright spots.

1.) "Intro"
This is basically describing the feeling of finally being famous, hence the album title. This is a feel good song and it basically gets you inside the head of Big Sean and kind of share the life with him for a minute. Nothing more to say here, just a solid opener to "Finally Famous."

2.) "I Do It"
This was the first single from the album. This isn't one of my favorite tracks on the album, but I like the way it showcased Big Sean's metaphoric rhymes and wordplay. This is a pretty comical song as well, mentioning the likes of Family Guy's Quagmire, using the word "Giggity".

3.) "My Last" (feat. Chris Brown)
This is the song that has gained the most publicity and radio plays from the album (considering it has Chris Brown). The chorus is very catchy and this is a very good "club track". The lyrics aren't bad at all, in fact, they are better than I expected with a type of theme like this. "My Last" is just about living life to the fullest. Good track here.

4.) "Don't Tell Me You Love Me"
This is one of the tracks were I could easily mistake him for Drake. The hook just sounds way to similar to him. With that being said, this is a very relate-able song, touching on the "women problems" subject. "Whats the perfect girl if its not the perfect time" is just an example of how us guys can relate to the subject. Great lyrics and a great track.

5.) "Wait For Me" (feat. Lupe Fiasco)
I was surprised to see Lupe on this album, but it was a pleasant surprise. This is another good example of strong wordplay, as Big Sean rhymes words such as "Mercedes" and "Navy". Lupe was a strong addition, considering he is a very talented MC (LASERS didn't change my judgment). Another feel good, easy to listen to track.

6.) "Marvin & Chardonnay" (feat. Kanye West & Roscoe Dash)
If this doesn't get serious radio time, I'm going to be really shocked. Roscoe Dash has another catchy hook (as he did in "No Hands") and Big Sean and Kanye do their thing. I'm surprised Kanye was only on this one track, but I guess he wanted to give Big Sean all the spotlight. This is my favorite track on the album; I enjoyed the lyrics, the beat, and once again, the hook grabbed my attention.

7.) "Dance (A**)"
This is definitely a club track; but with that being said, this is the first track on the album I didn't enjoy. Its an interesting song with decent lyrics, but I just couldn't get in to it. Not my style I guess.

8.) "Get It (DT)"
This wasn't much better than "Dance". Once again, the lyrics were a bit better, with Big Sean comparing things like drinks to his age, which I got a kick out off. I didn't enjoy the hook/chorus that much either. Decent song, but definitely passable.

9.) "Memories Part 2" (feat. John Legend)
This is basically continued off his song "Memories" from one of his various mixtapes. "Are you willing to give up what you love for who you love" is one of the examples of sacrificing for fame. This is what I really like from Big Sean. Instead of rapping about things like money, drinks and swag (which gets old), he goes deeper mentioning his friend who had a pill addiction. If Big Sean did more of this, the album would of been great. Definitely my second favorite track on the album.

10.) "High" (feat. Wiz Khalifa & Chiddy Bang)
This is another one of the kick back/feel good songs on "Finally Famous". From the name, its pretty obvious this is all about smoking weed. Normally I don't care for songs like these, but this was enjoyable. I really liked Wiz's verse, considering this is what he does best. "Got a patch of little kids tryna get at this cabbage" was pretty damn creative. Sean & Chiddy do their thing as well.

11.) "Live This Life" (feat. The Dream)
This was a decent song at best. I'm not to crazy about Dream doing the hook either, it just sounded weird that he cursed continually (considering he did a song like "No Mercy" w/ T.I.). Decent wordplay by Big Sean, but Dream just kind of ruined it for me.

12.) "So Much More"
A good closer to the "Finally Famous" album. This basically states that there is more to come in the future. Good lyrics on here as well.

Recommended Tracks: "My Last", "Marvin & Chardonnay", "Memories Part 2", and "High"

All in all, if Big Sean would of gone a bit deeper in his music, this could of been great. Instead, it was a catchy album that is passable, yet solid. I think if your a fan of Drake or Cudi, you'll like Big Sean, because of his similar sound. Kanye & No ID did a good job producing this. This is a "B plus" album.

5.0 out of 5 stars very satisfied, July 8, 2011
This review is from: Finally Famous (Deluxe Edition) [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
i've been a big sean fan for a long time & i think he did a good job on this. the people saying it didn't meet their expectations... what were you expecting? it was his debut ALBUM, which means it is mostly meant to showcase his style to people who don't keep up on mixtapes & internet released singles; for people who are probably going to be hearing him for the very first time (we all know marvin gaye & chardonnay is going to blow him up & create a million new big sean fans). i became addicted to his stuff from early mixtapes & features on bigger artists songs, why would i want him to "change things up" or "try something new" right now ? maybe in a couple years if he is still doing the EXACT same thing i'll be a little disappointed but definitely not now. with this album, i wanted more of the same big sean i already had & that is exactly what i got :)

the songs themselves, are what you would expect from him & i mean that in a good way. he has the ability to use weird combos of beats & change his flow during songs which you see in "dance (a**)" probably one of, if not my favorite song on this album. i'm very surprised at how many people didn't like this song, it's so different & innovative

4.0 out of 5 stars A Surprisingly Good Effort, July 5, 2011
This review is from: Finally Famous (Audio CD)
Well after Drake publicly stole this man's rhyme style and went mainstream with it (Supa Dupa Flow), Big Sean has been stumbling around the underground trying to create a new style and carve out his own lane. After releasing his much acclaimed yet mostly uneven Finally Famous mixtapes, his debut is finally here and definitely delivers. I was one of those people that liked Big Sean. He can rap and he made good songs but I never considered myself a "fan". However, after hearing this effort I felt compelled to purchase this man's album.

Even though he is possibly the rapper with the softest voice maybe ever (zero bass!)...the boy can rap very well. He is the closest thing to a punchline rapper this side of the mainstream but its delivered in an organic way. He just has bars and bars and bars within the context of the song. As far as pure rapping talent...he might even be a great rapper. The album has a few missteps such as when he tries to tackle the strip club scene on Dance. That's clearly not the direction he should be going. Wait For Me ft. Lupe Fiasco is surprisingly contrived and weak and uncomfortably soft.

Big Sean does his best work on slower soul influenced beats such as Memories, My Last, Live This Life and So Much More. The bonus tracks are all pretty well done as well. Production is top notch as this is a mainstream release from G.O.O.D. music, the lyrics are definitely on point, and the songs for the most part are extremely enjoyable. Overall, Big Sean has delivered a great debut album. If you were wondering...it's leaps and bounds better than Wiz Khalifa's "effort" released earlier this year. I picked that comparison because that was the closest release from his "class" of this new generation of rappers debuting for the mainstream. Nonetheless, Finally Famous is worth checking out and is recommended. 4 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, July 4, 2013
This review is from: Finally Famous (Audio CD)
I bought the clean version and I loved it even around young people and parents its all good thank u

5.0 out of 5 stars **The best Big Sean that Big Sean can be**, July 10, 2011
This review is from: Finally Famous (Audio CD)
he never portend to be super lyrical or over the bridge commercial, he is a talented slick liner MC with a little pop edge, he did him and nothing else. his credit is due because he stayed true to his style even in his mixtape his flow and songs where on point, so people stop hating this is good muzik.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good, November 18, 2011
This review is from: Finally Famous (Audio CD)
I love this cd, and consaquently so do my younger brother, I had to keep getting the cd out of his car. If you like kanye west or wiz khalifa, I think you'll also like this. For me it is definitely worth purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Sean is surely Famous, July 7, 2011
Big Sean's Debut album Finally Famous has been a project I've waited for, for a while. Being a fan over the course of his solid mixtapes his album is very worth the purchase. The production from legend NO-I.D. is great. His lyrics are much tighter and the overall appeal of the album gives it alot of replay value. Most noteable songs would be Memories part 2, a revamped verison with John Legend from his mixtape Finally Famous vol. 3. Marvin & Chardonnay the only song featuring Kanye West is another song worth listening to. Even the bonus songs are good, making the deluxe edition worth the buy. As Big Sean's frist album he captures everything needed to pull off a good project. Proving his potential to having a long lasting career.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, July 12, 2014
Perfect

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with this one, June 7, 2014
This review is from: Finally Famous (Audio CD)
Awesome album from an awesome artists. Delivered on time and the case and cd were in pristine condition. Been bumping this cd for quite some time now

4.0 out of 5 stars Sean is good, November 30, 2013
Great, fun quality debut. I didn't know what to expect but his rhymes are clever and the beats are good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›