Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Finally Thin!: How I Lost More Than 200 Pounds and Kept Them Off--and How You Can, Too
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on January 11, 2009
I first heard of Kim Bensen on the Weight Watchers community message boards. She's marketed her own low calorie bagels and I was searching for her website for this information. I found much more than bagels. I've never met her in person, but I found that Kim is helpful and kind to those who email her. I found out about this book on her website and couldn't wait to read it...got it the first day it was avail and couldn't lay it down until I was finished.

Her book is brutally honest and I applaud her for speaking so frankly about her struggles with dieting and obesity. It's the kind of book that will inspire you to keeping going, or inspire you to get started on a life changing plan for eating if you're struggling or have given up.

At some points in the book I was in tears, and at others, laughing. Her story is heartbreaking but ends in a final triumph. Her favorite line seems to be "now it's your turn". She tries to inspire others to achieve the seemingly impossible. She lost 212 lbs, kept it off and is now a very successful Weight Watchers leader.

A VERY good book for anyone, but especially those of us who need to lose weight. I HIGHLY recommend it. Also, she includes recipes. A bonus to the book!
0Comment|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2009
I love this book! I've known Kim for a year or so and am inspired by her story. For those readers who do not live in Southern CT, let me assure you that both of the pictures on the cover of the book are real. There has been no "Photoshoping". Kim is as beautiful as she is on the cover, maybe even more so. (And she was as heavy as she is on the cover also).
The book is divided into three sections. Section one describes Kim's battle with her weight and some embarassing incidents that she very bravely shares with her readers. The second section describes 10 steps that are needed to "diet" sucessfully. She does not promote any one diet, but instead reviews all the popular diets and encourages the reader to choose the one they are suited for. The third section is made up of 70 recipes Kim has used and recommends.
I recommed this book and a visit to Kim's website: [...]
There you will find all sorts of tools to help make dieting easier, a "guilt free" shopping list and much more.
22 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2010
The book is divided in to 3 parts. First - Kim's story. Second - her 10 step plan. Third - Recipes.

The first part is not very long, only about 40 pages or so, and while I did appreciate her honesty in telling some of the most embarrassing moments of her formerly morbidly obese life, there wasn't really much substance to the story. She describes her big "aha" moment as basically waking up one morning, praying and feeling inspired to try again. That is all nice and fine, but not particularly helpful. I still appreciated Kim's story, but it didn't give me the inspiration I was looking for.

The second part is the bulk of the book. This is where she outlines the 10 steps, which I am listing here in my own words, just to keep it more clear.

1. Chose the right diet
7. Lighten up your food at home and away
8. Handling temptations
9. Motivation
10. Maintenance

There is really nothing wrong with "the plan", other than it's a list that has been artificially constructed to fit the handy-dandy 10-step catch phrase that has been proven to sell. Steps 3 and 7 are pretty much the same thing and could have been combined in to one. Step 1 is really sort of irrelevant to her own story - Kim has been a member of Weight Watchers on and off since the age of 9, so she didn't have to chose the diet, she simply went back to what she already knew. But without step 1 and by combining 3 and 7, the program would be only 8 steps long, whereas 10 steps just sounds so much better, doesn't it? There's really nothing wrong with part 2 of the book, it's just a lot of repeated information we've heard a hundred times with an ever-so-subtle endorsement of Weight Watchers.

The third part - recipes. I guess there's nothing really wrong with this part either. Except that is, if you are looking for a way to cook fresh and delicious food, you won't find it here. Canned ingredients and fat-free this and sugar-free that substitutes galore, most of the recipes are not for someone who is looking to eat healthier - just for someone who is looking to reduce the calories, which aren't really the same things.

My favorite part of the book was the chapter on temptations, there were a few valuable insights about trying to avoid the war instead of trying to win the battle with temptations. Again, this wasn't new information, but it was interesting to see her stand on this difficult topic.

Overall - I gave the book 3 stars, probably could have given 3.5 if that option was available. It wasn't useless and was mildly entertaining and slightly inspiring. But if I had known what the book would be like, I would have waited and got it from the library.
66 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2009
Finally Thin is a fabulous book. Kim Bensen is brutally honest about how difficult it is to be morbidly obese and what it took for her to turn her life and relationship with food around. The book discusses the pros and cons of every diet out there. It also discusses what it takes to maintain a weight loss which is what most of us don't know how to do. It has wonderful, realistic recipes for busy families in the back too!
on January 11, 2009
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written and dealt with the subject of weight loss honestly and openly. Ms. Bensen lost over 200 pounds and has kept it off for years, so she is uniquely qualified to write this type of book. She makes no secret of the fact that she lost her weight with Weight Watchers and now works for them, but the book explores (briefly) all of the well known diet plans without prejudice.

The first part of the book is devoted to Kim's story and I had tears in my eyes by the time I got to the part where she reached her goal weight. The second section of the book explores the 10 steps essential to losing and maintaining weight loss. The chapter devoted to step 9 - keep yourself motivated all the way - is the highlight of the book in my opinion.

The third and final section of the book is recipes. I have to say that most of the recipes did not appeal to me because the majority included fat-free cheese or sugar substitutes, but since I did not buy the book for the recipes, they did not effect my rating.

All in all, this is one of the best and most realistic books out there for anyone who has struggled with overcoming obesity.
on June 30, 2009
Not worth the money. If you're reading this book, it's because you've already tried all the diet that are out there. Well when I got the book I thought it was about her battle with weight. Her ah ah moment and the struggle to lose the weight and then keep it off. Instead her life story was about 20 pages. She woke up one morning and decided to take it off, 20 pages later she had lost 200lbs...I don't think so. I was hoping for the story, the struggles, the ups and downs during the journey and how she made it through. But instead I got a a bunch of pages talking about different diets. Come on, I've tried them all, I know them all. I was looking to be inspired and instead I was given a bunch of stuff I didn't need.
So if you want to read her life story, don't buy the book, it's definitely not worth the money.
33 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2009
I first found out about Kim Bensen through a Weight Watchers success story over two years ago. I printed her story out then because she was an inspiration to me. When her book came out I was excited to get to read the whole story, and I have to say that she is an incredible person for putting her story out there to try and help others. It cannot be easy to put your weight struggles out there for all the world to read, but I feel that she did this so that we could see the triumph she is experiencing now and of course to let us know that it can be done.
After reading Kim's book, I went to her website and read her blog. I posted a comment there to tell her how she had inspired me to lose weight and she replied by posting on my blog.
I admire the fact that someone who is so busy with her own life and must have many demands right now on her time would take the time to let me know she was on my side through this.
I would recommend that everyone read this book.
on January 9, 2009
I picked up this book after seeing the cover; at the time I was just in the store to browse. I wasn't even looking for a weight loss book. I thumbed through it and after reading Kim's honest account of her struggles and her success, then, seeing all the hints, recipes and tools for support and success, I saw that it wasn't just a how-to book written by a muscle bound trainer. I bought it because I knew the recipes would be helpful, and now that I have read it and dog-eared too many pages to count, I am so glad I have it. I have struggled with weight loss & food 'issues' for almost 20 years, and Finally Thin just might be the inspiration and guidance that gets me over this frustration hump where I have felt my past futile efforts overwhelm me. I am tired of picking up books written by [well intended] trainers who just don't get the emotional component. Even the title conveys what the book addresses...finally, after all the frustrations, hopes, exercise classes, therapy sessions, dreams, efforts, diets.....thin! Bad habits take more than one try to kick. Reading this I felt hope and a strong sense of support, and that emotional component is huge.
VINE VOICEon May 21, 2009
I wanted to love this book; I wanted to be inspired by this book; I wanted to be changed by this book. Ms. Benson's story is certainly a great success story, but I found there to be less substance than I expected. It's her story told forthrightly and without any glossing over of the potentially embarrassing parts, and there were elements any of us who are overweight can identify with. Nonetheless, I found it somehow lacking. I expect in person, as she leads Weight Watcher meetings and does television and radio interviews, she is more engaging and the same information is disseminated in a few minutes versus over many pages. Again, a nice book and a nice lady, just not what I expected or wanted.
on January 20, 2009
This book is absolutely wonderful. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be inspired and motivated. It is a must read for anyone who has ever struggled with weight!