Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 27, 2005
If you have read any of Dave Ramsey's books on Financial Peace and Total Money makeover you will now have the actual tools to use with your kids to teach them about spending,saving and giving. There is a short pamphlet on the actual "teaching" and the rest of the package has the chore list, envelope system and tracking for savings. This is a hands on tool set vs a "how to" book.
0Comment|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2006
My wife and I were concerned about teaching our children to be responsible and understand money. We were unable to find a satisfactory book or sytem until we used this tool. Our four year old has been using the system layed out in this pack, and she thinks it's COOL.
VINE VOICEon October 3, 2005
This book appeared to be well written, but I found it to be for children younger than those for whom I intended to use it. It's for the child 3-12 years of age.
on March 16, 2011
I ordered this product on a Friday morning and opted for the overnight deliver because I had been reading Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and was able to see Dave live just a few days after purchasing his book. I wanted to get my 9 year old on the right track for saving and learning to give, not so much spending though. From the time the package arrived we sat down to go through the contents. I read him the story and we were on our way. It was a Saturday so it was time for him to receive his commission for the week, although we had no method of tracking his chores. Luckily this package included a chart, for listing his chores and I was able to include a dollar amount for each chore. There is also a section for consequence for not completing a chore, which is "losing" money. He hasn't lost any yet, and it is funny how I don't have to remind him to take the trash out anymore. There is another chart that provides an area for him to find an item he wants to save for and put a picture on the board, and caculate how much he will need to save for the item and how many weeks it will take. My son makes between $7-$10 per week doing his chores. He puts his 10% in giving, takes a couple of dollars for spending at school at the school store and the remainder goes into his save envelope. In two weeks I think he has $12 saved towards his $20 goal.
on May 18, 2007
I'm using this with my 9 year old. I think these are some great tools to help raise my child to stay debt free. At first he was reluctant, but now he really enjoys saving up for things. The commission list helps him track what he's earning and the saving for board gives him a visual reminder of why he wants to save. He still asks for things, but quickly remembers he'd have to use his own money, so he thinks through it and I like seeing him work through these things. I think Dave Ramsey is great and appreciate all his knowledge for my own finances too.
on February 4, 2007
I purchased this product to use with my 3-year old son. He loves it! In fact, it's a frequent topic of conversation. He likes giving me updates on his "jobs" for the day. This product will help you to teach your children, even young children, the value of money and the linkage to hard work. Dave's system splits up the child's earnings into 3 categories: giving, saving, and spending. My son enjoys all 3: giving money (tithe) at church, saving money for a big toy, and spending money on little cars or candy bars. I highly recommend this product.
on July 14, 2008
My husband and I were never taught how to manage our money. We want to start our son out early. We both got allowances as children, but were never taught what to do with them, and so they were usually "blown" in the 1st few days of each week. We don't want our son to follow in our financial footsteps. The only problem is that now I need something to hit me over the head and be consistent with the chart and the commission. YIKES. Where do they sell that?!
on February 13, 2008
I loved this! We are big Dave Ramsey fans and purchased this as a way to include our 5 year old in our "total money makeover". She loves earning her own money and it makes her feel very grown up when she uses her own money that she has saved to buy a toy she wants. Having her own comission chart and chores that she earns money for doing make her feel important and included in the family finances. I would definitely buy this again.
on April 23, 2010
This is a great kit for parents who don't know where to begin on teaching their (young) children about managing money. However, I only gave it 4 stars because by itself, it's too simple. I strongly suggest anyone who is considering buying this kit to first read Financial Peace or Total Money Makeover yourself. You will then have a complete understanding of the concept of the "envelope system" as well as Dave Ramsey's principles in general. Our family is currently doing the Total Money Makeover so Financial Peace Jr. compliments our teachings and goals well.

Something else I would like to mention (that I wish someone would've told me) is that even though Dave Ramsey's materials are biblical based, you do not need to be religious to gain from his programs. Although his stance on religion is clear, the reference to religion is minimal in the materials. I am agnostic and therefore do not "give" to any church or religious affiliation but I do still set aside money to donate to various local charities and organizations I support.
on November 6, 2006
If you are already familiar with Dave Ramsey's financial advice for kids, this kit won't offer you anything new. It contains a dry-erase worksheet, which is nice, but not worth the price of the kit. It also contains a story to tell your kids (or have them listen to on CD) and a calculator.