Showing 1-10 of 70 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on October 25, 2011
(updated on 7/28/2012) I have been a subscriber to the paper edition of the FT for a few years now, and I have been reading it on kindle for more than a year. I love it! So far I can see (almost) only advantages:

1. it is much less expensive. I used to have a discounted academic US subscription, but now apparently it is no longer available. The regular subscription is now ~350/year, while the kindle edition is 15/month = 180/year. Obviously much better.

2. I have the smallish Kindle keyboard 3G, but reading and navigation are just great. In particular, it is really easy to navigate. You just press the 5-way button once to reach the compact table of content. Just right or left-press it to move to the next-previous article. It is actually way easier that using the newspaper with all those big pages, especially when you are in a constricted space like a plane of a crowded subway.

3. The graphs and photos ARE there. Some users complained about their absence, but that was perhaps in earlier editions. I am not sure ALL of them are on the kindle editions, but I haven't missed any I care about so far.

4. The web links also appear to work, in contrast to what other comments say. They are not ideal (you have to open the experimental browser to follow the link, obviously) but on the other hand you certainly could not follow a web link from the paper edition, could you?

5. You can store past issues without the need of any physical space. Keep in mind that old issues are, by default, deleted from your kindle after 10 days or so.

6. You do not need to get out of the house at 7AM at sub-freezing temperatures to pick up your copy! Last night I could not sleep and I downloaded the FT around 4AM, awesome!

7. It is more environmentally friendly, because paperless!

8. You never miss a copy because (as it happened once in a while in my case) your local delivery service happens to skip a delivery.

9. You can have your copy even if you travel, no more need to suspend delivery. Even if you travel outside the US, as long as you have access to the web, you can download the copy on hard drive and then transfer it (free of charge) on your kindle, via USB. Just keep in mind that you do end up paying extra fees (about 5 dollars/week) if you want the newspaper to be delivered directly to your kindle WITH 3G AND you are outside of the US. Delivery remains FREE if you have access to Wi-fi. Of course, you need to keep in mind that, if you travel to a different time zone, you may not get the FT in early morning. Still, in Europe (6 hours ahead of EST) I am always able to download my FT at 7-8AM, and in Australia/Asia around 10AM!

One of the few drawbacks I can think of is that if you live in a place where pickpocketing/theft are common, then you will have to be more careful when you commute, because no one will want to steal your paper copy of the FT, but many would like to steal your kindle. This may be paranoid, but I do live in a place where theft is a problem.

Other minor quibbles:
- sometimes a few characters in titles appear all scrambled and unreadable. This is VERY rare, however. It mostly happen with book titles in the Saturday's edition of the FT.
- as far as I know (but please correct me if I am wrong!) you cannot save individual articles in a nicely formatted way. When you "clip the article", the article is added to a single file which on my kindle appears as un-formatted (e.g. no pictures, no bold characters for titles etc.). I presume you can still convert this file into other formats amenable to formatting, but that would be a drag. It would be nice if Amazon/FT found a way to retain and store individual articles in a way that preserves all the formatting, perhaps even allowing for a date index.

Anyway, after more than a year of daily use, in the US, Europe, Asia and Australia, I can only say that I very highly recommend the FT for kindle. It's one of those (perhaps little) things that makes you think how much technology can make your life easier.

UPDATE, April 2014: Until a few months ago you could only see the newspaper in the old B&W kindle. Now you can also see it in android tablet. I own a Nexus 7 (2nd generation) and it works perfectly, with color pictures and all. The only option that does not seem to exist on tablet is "clip article", so it looks like you cannot save articles as ASCII files as you can with the kindle B&W. At least I have not been able to do it but if you know otherwise please correct me.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 21, 2008
I have had a Kindle since they came out, and love it as a reading platform. Until now the only subscription I've had is the NY Times, but as a European in the US I am delighted to see the FT here as an option - got it the second day it was available. I realize there are other non-US papers also here, but the FT beats them all - great news journalism plus financial news and insights - if you are going to read only one paper, then the FT is a good choice. I always turn to Lex first for a take on some of the top stories of the day.

The pricing is closer to the print, at a current discount available at Ft.com. I think the automagic convenience of having the paper appear on the Kindle is worth the extra $10. Plus you don't have to carry it to the cur on recycling day, and can think about all those trees you saved.

So - go get the two week trial and check it out!

(Disclosure: a close family member works at the FT).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 20, 2008
One of my favorite things about the kindle is the money that I save by buying books and magazine/newspapers cheaper than getting them in print form. For example, the NY Times is normally $250 a year for paper (discounted) and only $168 for the Kindle version.

HOWEVER, the FT paper edition is only $103 a year for paper while the Kindle version costs $113. Not a big difference, but why wouldn't I get the paper delivered to my house every morning for less money?
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 27, 2009
The desire to read a newspaper in the morning but the hatred of the medium of newspaper prompted me to subscribe to FT on Kindle. Keeping this short and to the point, the navigation works well (more below), there are more articles than I have time to read, stories are in depth and cover the entire world, not just the US and Western Europe, and the friggin thing showed up at 1AM, which will be great if I ever can't sleep.

Since navigation is the main thing to worry about on a kindle paper, here's how it works: When you open the paper, you start on the front page, as if you're looking front and center at the paper (with no picture). It gives you the headline, by line, and a word count (very useful) before the article. At the bottom of the page, it always tells you the headline of the next article, in case you want to skip ahead. If you press the 5-way button right, you can skip to the next article, left to skip back. Pressing the button in brings you to a list of the sections of the paper with the number of articles in each section next to it. You can jump to the front of that section or click on the number to go to a page that shows the headline and first few words of each article in the section, with about 5 of those to a page. This allows you to quickly browse the articles and jump to the ones you'd like to read in depth.

So far, I'm completely satisfied with FT on Kindle(2).
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 19, 2008
This is "the" financial newspaper for balanced, global reporting on markets, finance, economics, politics and more.

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall St. Journal - all good, but each with their axes to grind. You just won't get that nagging feeling with the Financial Times. Now more than ever it is important to have the news with the least possible Wall Street/Washington spin. The FT is a great place to find just that.

The writing and content, editorial and otherwise, are exceptional. I requested this be added to the Kindle subscription list some time ago. I'm sure many, many people did. I'm thrilled to see this paper on the Kindle.

Outstanding newspaper. Seriously. I wish more Americans read it regularly. If all you read is the Wall St. Journal, you are under-informed and occasionally, I would argue, ill-informed. If all you read is the FT, you can be fairly sure you are really on top of the major issues, warts and all. The FT pays a lot of attention to what is going on in the US, and often breaks big stories regarding happenings in the US financial markets. And it is laid out against a comprehensible global backdrop.

I am a regular at the FT online site. Check it out at [...] to get a flavor of FT coverage. Registration is free and no one sends you any spam.

I would urge taking up the two-week free subscription offer ... it is highly probably you will like it. I only just subscribed and will be interested to see how the Kindle version stacks up vs. the tree version and the web site. I'm anticipating that the Kindle will be the must-read, and that the web site will be an additional resource for multimedia and for further background and deep topic info ... e.g. the Olympics, the housing crisis, etc. I plan to store all Kindle issues on my SD card for searching - going back at least a year. These are historic times and I trust the FT to be a reliable chronicler of events.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 29, 2010
For one of the leading newspapers in the world, you can't beat the $9.99/month price (especially when compared to other papers like WSJ, NYT, or IHT). The paper opens up with three Front Page articles, which are followed by an extensive World News section consisting of around 20 stories depending on what's in the news (all around 500 words or less). For me, this is a great way to start my morning! The news features a great global overview without getting too long, dense, or gossipy (as I find most all other papers to be).

For the exhaustive reader, the FT also boasts the following sections:
-Analysis (Usually 1-2 articles around maybe 2,000 words)
-Comment (Approx. 15 articles)
-Arts (Approx. 5 Articles)
-The Lex Column (Approx. 5 Articles)
-Companies (Approx. 25 Articles)
-Markets (Approx. 15 Articles)

I definitely recommend for the global news enthusiast!
on November 16, 2009
I have been reading the FT paper for years now and I like it. However, I have been reading it on my Kindle for about a month and actually enjoy it more. It is much easier to select and read the article you like because of the index. Yes there are no pictures but I have found that I don't need them, the meat is there.

Oh and by the way, you don't get black ink on your finger tips, no bulky paper to carry to the John, the Kindle version is just so much better.

Tom in Santa Paula
on November 20, 2008
I've been a subscriber to the FT off and on for the last decade. I find their coverage to be insightful and a great counter point to the coverage we typically get in the US. Their coverage of the financial meltdown has been nothing short of extraordinary. Coverage of what's happening globally and how it affects the banks and firms involved. Its the type of coverage I would have usually expected from a magazine like the Economist.

I'm also a subscriber to the Wallstreet Journal and the New York times. Neither has even come close to the coverage the FT have put out the last six months.

Adding the FT to the Kindle is what makes this so great. Ever since I moved out of NYC, I've had issues with the paper arriving too late in the morning. With the Kindle its typically delivered by 4:00 am EST, so I can always start my day with it.
on November 23, 2014
A review for a newspaper? I'm not sure who would read such a review. But while I'm here....

The Financial Times is a British paper centered around the financial world, as you would imagine. But it actually is far more than that. It's a paper whose foreign policy reporting, its independent investigations, and its depth and persistence is simply not to be replicated.

I think an investor has to have reality. In my opinion, papers like the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal have clearly partisan leanings. As a student of political science myself, I've never cared for the partisan bickering, it feels more like a sports event than arguing over things that really matter.

There's something in the academic study of political science called Realpolitik. In short, what we do and decisions we make as leaders are different than what we say we do, what we report to the media, at a press conference, during an election campaign, in an interview, so on and so forth. Why leaders and governments do things versus why they say they do things are two different things. In Realpolitik, it is admitted that material factors (land, capital, power), not words and ideas, are the prime movers and shakers of world events. Foreign policy, you might think, is somehow unique. But you'd be surprised. Foreign policy is one of those things you won't really read about behind closed doors. The FT gives you an eye into it because it doesn't care about Republicans, Democrats, Obama, or any of the rest of it. It DOES however care about the facts in terms of how these two parties interact, the choices they make and the horsetrading they engage in. It'll talk about all of these, but in the language of a scientist, rather than a pundit.

You'll read about foreign policy in terms of what insiders are suggesting is really going on. You'll see what leaders say next to the fact-checking that the FT will do.

You'll also benefit from the fact that the FT likes to go in-depth, for several days, keeping to several themes consisting of 2-3 articles on them for a few days in a row (eg., the economy of ISIS, the anonymous hedge fund shorting stocks, the shale boom in the U.S., etc.) If you want to learn topics in depth, rather than skim headlines, then this paper is probably the best out there for it.

Politically, it's fairly moderate, but it's very critical of our governments, right and left (if those distinctions still matter). It helps you understand what's going on behind the headlines, which is a process rather than assertion (for those who watch TV news, what you receive are assertions, not real journalism). It's liberal in the economic sense (and for those who don't know what that means, this paper probably isn't for you). Yet it's not afraid to say, for example, that Bolivia's economy is booming under a socialist leader. It'll show inconsistencies in the Republicans, Obama, Labor and Cameron without worry.

The Letters section is sometimes amusing, and the Opinions section is sometimes very interesting.

I sometimes wish my subway ride were a little bit longer so I could read the morning's subscription.
on January 14, 2009
Have been getting the FT for a little over a month now on Kindle--absolutely fantastic. Was a regular reader of FT but like the delivery and format on the Kindle far better than physical paper.