Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Financially Fearless: The LearnVest Program for Taking Control of Your Money
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 14, 2014
To those who give it less than 3 stars: Really? This book contains more guidelines with regard to personal finance than most people get in their lifetime! The format was meant to be simplistic for those who didn't get degrees in finance. This is a great tool for getting yourself in financial order and asks the questions we may ask ourselves but are too afraid to ask others. I think the exercises that are given help you to get honest views about your financial past, present and future. A good rating is based on the content and usability not "oh I've been there done that so it is meh". If this is you then do something kind an pay the book forward to someone who could really use it to get to your level. There is no getting rich quick and this is a forward thinking, realistic approach to managing finances, savings and fun! I think this is a great tool for young people starting in high school all the way up to middle aged folks who need a financial check-in (or check up!).
on February 3, 2015
According to the American Payroll Association more than two thirds of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and 3 in 10 making $100K per year do so. Alexa gave short shrift to the CFP designation and should have explained it as more than a 2 day 10 hour test. I am not sure why Alexa labels people as different types? I find that it is difficult to change who someone really is and do not think that the labeling was beneficial. This book seemed like it was for a younger target audience than me. I agree wholeheartedly that it is very important to regularly calculate your net worth (I do mine every month). I did not agree as to why one should put homeowners insurance on mortgage payments by "impounding" when your insurance company can also do so? I really like the idea of using a budget plan for all utilities. In shopping, Alexa should have recommended extrapolating the unit price to cost per ounce or some other measure. I think that the 20% of take home pay number for the future ignores pre-tax deductions like for a 401k. To me, the 70% retirement salary seems high as your mortgage should be paid off and you do not have the 20% for the future to worry about anymore. I totally agree that retirement is the top financial priority. When reading this book on the Kindle, some of the charts were impossible to read. I like the idea of bonuses going into your freedom (emergency) fund which I will try to do. Selling unwanted / unused items and putting any cash back rewards into the fund is something that I already do. I maximize cash back and will use the card that has the best percentage which is Bank of America at 2.25% for me right now. I also make sure that I sign up for the 5% categories that other cards offer on a rotating basis. Paying credit cards with balances twice a month to reduce interest, this was a new concept for me. Alexa’s home buying advice did not include avoiding PMI which I think is a huge waste - mentioned later but missed that can get rid of with a new appraisal. I thought that this was a weird example, if you are buying a house and have a huge sum like $500K in one account; my thought was that you do not need this book. I wish I had heard about a roof warranty when I bought my house. In choosing a brokerage, I would add – do they automatically reinvest dividends? I thought that her "fearless tips" offered very practical advice. Overall, I feel like that Alexa skims the surface and does not cover subjects in-depth because the LearnVest folks are waiting to help and the book feels like one long advertisement for their services.
on May 15, 2014
Really didn't learn anything new, and felt like the budgeting advice was too simplistic. To wit, the author doesn't include "clothing" as an essential in her 50/30/20 formula. She also puts an arbitrary percentage allocation on food with no consideration of family size. The product description should note that this book is targeted at single 20-somethings, about the only demographic for which this book is appropriate.
on February 24, 2014
I really enjoyed the content of this book and will be purchasing the hard cover version. I was excited to listen to it in the car but it just didnt work. There are many worksheets, tables, etc. that you want in front of you. They are also a little bit cumbersome to hear them read outloud, lots of repeated sentences, as an example, because the first example in the worksheet is similar to the second. I don't fault the content of the book for this but food for thought before ordering it on cd.
on March 21, 2014
Good book to give to children 18-25 years old to learn about budgeting and managing their finances and future planning!
on May 6, 2015
I bought this as a gift for a college student close to graduation and he loved it and found it to be helpful. In order to succeed in life, young people need to develop sound financial intelligence and this book contained quality advice. I have an MBA and an undergraduate degree in accounting and I worked for a top accounting firm so I'm able to recognize a worthwhile financial book.
on June 1, 2015
I absolutely enjoyed reading this book. How often can one say that about a financial book? The title of this book is on point!

I always wanted to read a book about personal finance without falling asleep before I hit the second chapter. Alexa Von Tobel doesn't use complex terms. She makes personal finance a fun learning experience. I highly recommend this book to anyone who needs to know the important financial basics to live by.
on April 13, 2014
As other reviewers have mentioned, this is an OK book and is particularly well suited for a college-leaver. Not rocket science, and a little light in some sections, and pushes rather hard on the website you can use (for a fee…), but it was well-organized, reasonably comprehensive, with a lot of practical tips, and like a said a fast read. The only problem bringing it down from a 3 start to a 2 star -- it has a fair number of tables, charts and graphs which exceeded the page width on the reader -- rendering this book basically unuseable in e-format.
on April 24, 2014
This books is fantastic. It is loaded with practical and easy to understand advice. Having just retired from teaching I wanted something that would help me with retirement and future plans. Wish I had read it a long time ago, but the advice is good for any age. Get it. You will be glad you did.
on December 29, 2014
Excellent personal finance book. Very detailed about all aspects. This book is definitely in the top 3 of personal finance books with actionable steps.
Also, I am really impressed by what Alexa is doing. I was trying to figure out a way to deliver one-on-one personal finance advice. With her company, she has exceeded what I could conceive. Move over Suze Orman!