Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Find a Job Through Social Networking: Use LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Blogs and More to Advance Your Career
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 23, 2012
Purchased this book to gain additional information on Social Networking. I was developing a power point presentation on Social Media Networking for a class I am teaching and there are many good ideas and tips in this book. A really great reference for job searching using social media networking.
on July 4, 2011
As a freelance professional whose search for a full-time position recently shifted into high gear, I picked up four books to provide insight and tips for making this transition. Despite their recent copyright dates, three of them (Get The Job You Want, Even When No One's Hiring: Take Charge of Your Career, Find a Job You Love, and Earn What You Deserve,Unlock the Hidden Job Market: 6 Steps to a Successful Job Search When Times Are Tough and Cracking The Hidden Job Market: How to Find Opportunity in Any Economy) were mindnumbingly myopic in their approach to networking -- glossing over or completely ignoring social networks and advocating instead for press-the-flesh interactions almost exclusively. I don't know the world in which the authors live, but the overworked full-timers I know don't have 15 minutes for a cup of coffee with someone they've never met. In fact, I asked roughly a dozen full-time employees how they would respond to a request for a short coffee meeting, and all of them said they had neither the time nor the inclination.

Contrast that with the advice that Diane Crompton and Ellen Sautter put forth in "Find a Job Through Social Networking." They outline the benefits of being online and having a social networking presence. They explain how to market yourself online and ensure your identity is what you want it to be (and how to fix it if it isn't). They urge you to cultivate a full-service network populated with STARS: strategists, targets, allied forces, role models and supporters. Incidentally, most of the employees I asked the coffee meeting question said they'd be receptive to facilitating a LinkedIn introduction when given a polite, well-thought-out request.

The authors cover the biggies -- LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter -- as well as XING, Ryze, Viadeo, Ecademy and others. The book doesn't mention BranchOut, but given the service's newness and fledgling status, that's not unexpected.

Now that I've finished the book, I'm working through the action items that I had noted as I worked my way through. I haven't felt this energized or empowered since reading Jay Conrad Levinson and David E. Perry's Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 2.0: 1,001 Unconventional Tips, Tricks and Tactics for Landing Your Dream Job (Paperback) last year, when my job search was more passive. Crompton and Sautter know their stuff, and they've written a winner for the modern-day job hunter here.
on May 22, 2014
Well written. Engaging. Emphasizes how important and valuable social media is in trying to find a job. A good reference you can refer back to again and again. Gives essential tips like monitoring privacy settings on Facebook so potential employers don't see things you don't want them to. Very useful for the "older" generation who does not have a clue where to start with social media.
on February 22, 2011
Social Networking is an inseparable feature of your personal/professional life and this book will ease you into it. Well written and has some really great tips with examples of how to put social network sites to best use. Highly Recommended and must read for those not yet introduced to Social networking.
on March 5, 2011
This book really shows you how to find a job. It should be every unemployed person's bible, guiding step by step how to use the social networking sites to build a network of business associates and actively do something about your job search.

Even if you have a steady job, it's important to network because you never know what's around the corner. This is the best book of it's kind. In today's economy, even if you have a steady job, it's a must on everyone's bookshelf or Kindle.
on February 4, 2012
Even if you think you know all about using LinkedIn and other networking tools, this book will probably point out some things you didn't think of. It is a very useful resource.
on February 5, 2013
I bought it for the social networking information. Its easy to understand and use. It paints a realistic picture of the limited effectiveness of job boards in this economy.
on November 6, 2010
This book is easy to read, clear and concise. It's full of valuable updated information, and is a great resource for anyone wanting to make those connections that are so important in today's job market.
on September 30, 2011
In an era of disconnect and over scheduling, the authors of Find a Job Through Social Networking Diane & Ellen, bring us back to the heart of networking! While the face to face business after hours parties may still be in existence and of an importance, we are made aware of more popular and effective ways to network. As times and technology change it is important to keep up with those changes. Just as it is no long effective for a company to have a listing solely in a phone book, but it is necessary for that company to have a web presence. It is also necessary for individuals as well as businesses to establish a presence on the internet and this book helps show you how and on various networks.

I wanted to help give my blog (ecoMomical Me) a boost and learn how to connect with other bloggers and companies to help me reach my goals. Find a Job Through Social Networking helped me first identify my networking goals and then showed me how to accomplish those using social networking. I had already established a small presence on LinkedIn and Twitter and with a degree in digital media I was surprised that I learned small little things that I had no clue about, such as changing my LinkedIn URL. I was also introduced to Google Alerts which has helped me stay on top of new and coming trends.

I shared some information from the book with my husband who is currently unemployed and he began to put some of the information into practice. If you know my husband... he needs to stay as far away from computers as possible! He barely knows how to turn the computer on! But with some direction from Find a Job Through Social Networking and a little coaching from myself, he was able to set up his own LinkedIn account and more. I am happy to report that last week my husband received a call from a recruiter who spotted his resume online! It just so happens that my husband had applied for a different position (his dream job) with the same company the recruiter was working with, so my husband asked the recruiter about the position. After several days the recruited called to let us know that the position was still available and apparently his resume had been overlooked. The recruiter stated that, this is a problem with lots of companies. They can easily overlook resumes including those like my husbands that meet all the qualifications requested! That reminded me of the space scenario referred to in Diane & Ellen's book. You can't just rely on sending your resume you must find ways to network your way into the company!

Regardless of your level of computer/internet/media experience I think everyone can find something useful in this book!
on December 4, 2010
OK, I'll say upfront I'm kind of related to one of the authors, but I have to say I found this a really excellent book to help me make sense of the basics of online social networking. Clear, easy to read with a friendly, relaxed style its a good place to start. The authors flag up areas where they can foresee the possibility of change which will help to offset the inevitable difficulties of writing about ever changing technologies. They are also good at highlighting potential danger areas which can worry the likes of me who don't know much about internet security. Highly recommended. :-)