5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice Prayer Journal
Published on August 7, 2007 by teacher

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected, May 7, 2007
M. Welker "Mom of Three" (Saint Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Finding God in Autism: A Forty Day Devotional for Parents of Autistic Children (Paperback)
I have been profoundly changed by Kathy Medina's 40 day devotional. It comes out of her own heartbreak in discovering her son's diagnosis. As a parent of an autistic/multi-disabled child, I feel a kinship with her in this "special needs"/therapy world where I don't really want to be. How nice to have a parent deliver a mixture of hope and heartbreak in a very humble and relevant way. We may not have all the answers, but I am guessing that God's heart breaks as much as ours and just because our kids have some disabilities, doesn't mean they can't give glory to God. Kathy reminds us of this over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peaceful, March 8, 2007
This book will bring you peace in the caos of Autism, and really help your focus stay on God!

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice Prayer Journal, August 7, 2007
The author may be planting a hope in some parents that can crush those who are not strong in their faith in God. It is common for parents who just had their child diagnosed with Autism, grasp at anything to "fix" their child. While I do believe that God can Heal or "fix" people I have learned that God is God and has a plan for all of us even if we don't agree, or give Him permission.
As you read this book and even pray through it, please remember, God loves us and knows the big picture for our lives. The diagnosis of Autism is NOT a death sentence, only a new experience.

2.0 out of 5 stars High hopes dashed, January 15, 2014
L.S. (OH United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book with high hopes but a few days into it I could feel myself drifting away. I'm currently at day 15. I still look at it every day, because once in a while there is something that speaks to me. Nevertheless I have returned to "Jesus Today" by Sarah Young as the mainstay of my devotions. While "Jesus Today" isn't aimed specifically at parents of children with autism, it addresses my daily struggles in a more relevant way than "Finding God in Autism" does.

As another reviewer noted, there are a lot of typos in this book. There are errors in punctuation, spelling, and layout. It doesn't seem to have had an editor at the publisher. Many of the devotions begin with definitions of several words from the day's scripture, which soon become repetitive and tedious to read. I think a true editor would have noted that and asked the author to vary the way she begins each devotion.

There have been several times I've turned to my study Bible in order to make sense of the day's scripture, as the author's commentary didn't seem helpful or relevant. In those cases, the notes in my study Bible helped me make sense of the passage (as it relates to our parenting challenges) where the devotional itself did not.

The biggest difficulty I have, though, is that the author seems to believe that autism is God's perfect will for our children and that He WANTS our children to have autism so that we can glorify Him and have a wonderful testimony about His power. These ideas are referred to in many of the devotions. What kind of God would want His children to suffer? Yes, He allows it to happen, and He can make good things out of these terrible circumstances. However, it goes too far to say it is His perfect will and He wouldn't prefer a world without suffering, as the author implies.

My suggestion is to run with the idea of a 40-day renewal of your faith, through daily devotions and Bible study, but choose a different devotional such as "Jesus Today."

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, December 8, 2010
i was very disappointed in this book. i have an 11 year old boy with autism and when i read this book i felt nothing short of condemned. continually throughout the book. not everyone can go the route she has with all of the therapies that cost thousands and thousands of dollars and are not even guaranteed to work. yet, she kind of pushes you towards this. she meantions that this is what a 'good' mother or parent would do several times and i was just a little offended. otherwise, she makes alot of valid points about God. but i really didn't get much out of this book and i wish i could get my money back. it was very shallow and generic.

4.0 out of 5 stars My third time going through it, March 14, 2013
Joyful Mama (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
I found great hope in this book, and I am on my third time going through it (with years in between). I love that there is a book that focuses on God instead of the autism.

However, I do agree with the other reviewer that it could give false hope, if you think that doing this devotional is assurance of healing. God does not choose to heal every child with autism, even if the parents are zealous and earnest in prayer. BUT He does promise that we can trust Him as Sovereign, and will draw us deeper and closer to His Heart in the midst of our trials, which He has done for me through this book.
My son (age 14) is still not healed, but my heart has been healed in so many ways as I trust Him more and more that He is ultimately in control and that He allowed autism to come into our lives for a greater purpose.
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

Something I found mildly annoying about the book was that there were so many typos in it. This might not bother others at all :)

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS BOOK !!!!, May 8, 2008
This book has opened my eyes, renewed my faith and brought me even closer to GOD. Reading this book for me was a journey-an eye opening journey-that was well worth the time and effort that I put into it. I saw God in a new and exciting way and I was well aware of His presence in my life and in my son's life. This book gave me a fresh perspective on every day life and reminded me that God is ever present, He's faithful and that His word is true. I would recommend this book to every parent of a child with autism. AWESOME !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Voice in the Wilderness-, January 18, 2008
I bought this book hoping for something to renew my faith; something to "band-aide" over the hurt I was suffering spiritually. What I found was an amazingly familiar story from another mother of a wonderful child with Autism. My husband and I were brought to tears as we read the preface- we are working through these 40 days together now. I highly recommend this book to parents and caregivers of these wonderful children!Finding God in Autism: A Forty Day Devotional for Parents of Autistic Children

5.0 out of 5 stars Generic devotional, February 24, 2013
While autism prompted the author's exploration, the devotional could just as well be used in facing any number of other debilitating and challenging conditions, e.g. ALS/LouGehrig's Disease. The author identifies Biblical texts to support daily courage, hope, stress relief, and search for resources. Unfortunately, news coverage of recent tragedies linked autism to the perpetrators as if cause and effect. More than ever then, this devotional would assist people diagnosed with spectrum-of-autism to see a future with survival and productivity. I wonder how parents coped 50+ years ago when "autism" attracted less research and little social support.

5.0 out of 5 stars a very healing book, December 25, 2013
Excellent resource! Very helpful for a parent of a child with aspergerger's as I am. I have read and reread different parts of this book that have helped me through dark valleys. God has ministered to me through the book and I pray He will to you as well.

Finding God in Autism: A Forty Day Devotional for Parents of Autistic Children