Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on April 21, 2003
Highly recommended ...
FINDING GOD IN THE GARDEN is for everyone who digs in this earth of Eden, who has ever wondered what that First Garden & its First Gardeners might have been like.
A man in the autumn of his life, speaks about his decades as a spiritual coach, as an interpreter of things Biblical & religious & as a newcomer to gardening both in the micro- & macrocosmic sense.
From how sex became sinful & how it never was meant to be; of how weeds are the manifestations unwanted evils & how we humans do differ from our animal cousins. Of how to think about God within the context of our lives as well as how to think of the land as a primal learning place.
Woven between Rabbi Brickner's memories of gardens he has tended, are his musings of philosophies both Judaic & Christian as he playfully & seriously explores the meaning of soul & prayer, of compost & death, free will & miracles, fertilizers & sacred human activities, of sitting & thinking, healing.
Easily accessible, charmingly written, Rabbi Brickner has poured into this gentle & fascinating book, a host of kind wisdom & offers us bouquet after bouquet of joyous soulful & healing thoughts.
Very well done, one of those books you will keep for each season of your garden & your life.
on May 3, 2003
This book was an unexpected pleasure to read. When I first saw it, there was some hesitancy on my part to read it. I thought it would be filled with cliche metaphors, but in reality, there was a deep spiritual wisdom that blossomed with the unfolding of each page. Rabbi Brickner makes beautiful comparisions betweeen that which we have in our guardians, on the one hand, and that which we have in our hearts and spirits as Jews on the other. I became enlightened on both matters of botany and the Bible. This book was a true joy and will be satisfying to anyone who reads it.
on September 12, 2005
This is an incredible book that speaks to many issues we confront today -- from the meaning of life and death to sex and love -- to social activisim -- with a little gardening as well!

Offering humor and wisdom Brickner welcomes us into his world - and shows us how to better manage and live our own lives with more meaning and purpose.
on August 28, 2007
I purchased this book based on the Amazon reader reviews and although in some ways the book didn't live up to some of the accolades, in other ways, it did provide some interesting food for thought. The author is a Rabbi; I am a Christian who was brought up in a traditional middle of the road denomination. Going into the book, I knew there would be differences of opinion, yet I'm always interested in another's perspective, and this book does provide that in an very readable, charming, and insightful way.

I'm also not a gardener, but that didn't prevent me from seeing the connection between what grows and dies in the garden and our everyday lives. Most times, I felt the author did an excellent job of comparison (although there were a few places that it seemed as if the "garden comparions" were just added at the end of a straightforward theological essay).

Although this book may be directed to those of the Jewish faith, I would recommend it to anyone looking for some spiritual food for thought. Rabbi Brickner has real respect for a wide spectrum of other spiritual leaders and writers. In short, this isn't something that changed my life, but it is a book that I would go back and reread certain chapters when I was in the mood for "something short and interesting."
on August 22, 2013
This is not the easy reading book I was expecting and I found it "a platform to expound fairly heavy-handedly on theology and contemporary issues". That being said, at some point I will be ready to read and study this book. I have read the first chapter and underlined several passages already, but I think I will save it for winter when the cold and rain keep me inside and I have time to ponder and reflect on Rabbi Brickner's enlightened thoughts.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2013
One of the books I have told others about. Balfour Brickner masterfully weaves garden knowledge with spiritual truths that are wonderfully thought-provoking and well-written.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse