2,289 Reviews
 (1,934)

5.0 out of 5 stars Overwhelming.
Published 4 months ago by Laura Valencia DeLeon

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick Read
The book read easily and quickly. Overall it was an interesting, and gut wrenching tale. I did find it lacking a lot of information most people would want to know. Almost all of the story you could find online or have already heard on the news aside from a few of her personal experiences in the house.
Published 3 months ago by Ktlaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Overwhelming., May 6, 2014
I woke up at 4am this morning with nothing on my mind but downloading this book on my kindle. After seeing Michelle Knight on the Today Show on Monday 5/5, the day before her book's release, I couldn't wait to hear her story. I've read Elizabeth Smart's book, as well as Jaycee Dugard's book. As disturbing as those stories were, and I mean to in no way minimize their ordeals, I was absolutely OVERWHELMED with the cruelty and abuse endured by Michelle Knight (and Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus). All of these ladies have shown an amazing amount of resiliency and courage that I truly admire. LIke a previous reviewer, I too am not quite finished reading the book, but from the very first page, could not put it down.

Michelle describes, in terrifying detail, horrific details of her traumatic capture and subsequent torture at the hands of that monster. It is amazing to me that she survived, let alone found the strength to live life after all that she endured.
She also describes the pain of losing her son and I cannot help but think that if she did not have the hope of being reunited with her son, would she have survived? Her home life before reaching the hands of the monster was not by any means ideal. In fact, as you're reading about it, you wonder what could be worse? Poor Michelle found out...living in a hell on earth with her fate in the hands of "the devil himself"

I think it is incredibly brave of her to share her story and I'm sincerely praying for every forgotten soul that has had to suffer because of monsters like Ariel Castro. And I promise Michelle, to keep a more vigilant eye, and not easily dismiss anything I may see that sends up warning signals in me. We all have common sense and judgement, we should use it. Perhaps if one of those neighbors had, life would have turned out very differently for those three ladies. I wish them all nothing but happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unimaginable and unspeakable suffering, amazing triumph, May 6, 2014
If there is a human angel on this earth right now it is Michelle Knight (now called Lily Rose Lee). This poor woman never knew real love or normalcy ever in her life, and the one thing that kept her going during 11 years of pure hell was the love she had for her son, who was adopted and now whom she cannot see. I wept and ached for her as I read her story and I cannot believe anybody could have survived what she went through-- and survived it coming out so sweet and so strong and so optimistic. This is beyond a hero-- she is a saint. If you have been raped or molested even once, could you imagine hundreds of times, over and over, by the same man who keeps you chained, dirty and hungry? Having 5 babies beaten out of you? Chained like an animal for years, beaten and told you matter to no one? Tortured and nearly killed and threatned with death if you tried to ecape, and beaten when you did try? This just scratches the surface of what this amazing woman went though. I sincerely pray that the joys of her life to come are a thousand times the suffering she has endured. I pray she will know love from now on. I pray she can have the things of life she deserves, and I pray she can be whole and happy. God bless you, Lily, God bless you.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st book review I have ever written! Awesome story from a very brave woman!!!, May 7, 2014
Telsa (Houston, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
Even though I have been an avid book reader for over 30 years - I literally have over 600 books in my Kindle, over 400 in Audible, and thousands in hardcover - this is the first book review I have ever written.

And I am specifically writing it because of the HORRIBLE post by Kimberly Banks. How DARE she say such things about a woman who was literally kept chained up and brutally tortured and raped for YEARS just because maybe she "drank too much and wanted attention"? I myself have drank too much and wanted attention at different points in my life, especially when I was younger. So do I also deserve to be abducted, tortured, raped, lose my child, and more????

Anyway, enough about that piece of trash. The Kindle book and the Audio version were both GREAT. I listened to the entire audio book in one night non-stop.

I will admit that some tiny aspects of the story seem that they could be slightly exaggerated or don't make perfect sense. Michelle obviously made some stupid mistakes THAT WE ALL MAKE AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE, such as not properly preparing herself by confirming the address/location of the courtroom before she had to be there. But, really, who hasn't done such tiny stupid things in their life before?

I can't even imagine what she went through and her story is riveting and horrifying at the same time. I respect the fact that she had the decency to tell the story of the horrible abuse that she suffered but without going into gory details that I probably couldn't have handled hearing or reading. She knew the right place to stop when it came to the "torture / rape details" stuff. I think that shows a lot on her part.

And, being a mother of a young son myself, I can obviously tell how much she cared / cares about her son. You just can't fake that.

I think the narrator for the audio version was really good and did a great job of telling the story.

Overall, I definitely recommend reading / listening to this book. I truly hope that Michelle finally finds peace and happiness in her life. She deserves it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Michelle is beautiful and strong ( Lillian ), May 6, 2014
An inspiring story of inner strength. Michelle is a beautiful , beautiful person . She was a butterfly with broken wings who was determined to fly in the sunshine again. I admire her so much. It was interesting to read about her life before and after the brutal sickening ordeal she suffered through. She now has the freedom to continue healing .
I hope she will continue to write , paint, and enjoy life. Her son will someday be close to her once again. I read this book worried it would only be about her ordeal, but it was so much more and well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living in Cleveland..., May 6, 2014
This review is from: Finding Me: A Decade of Darkness, a Life Reclaimed: A Memoir of the Cleveland Kidnappings (Hardcover)
We are in Cleveland and it was never published anywhere she was in a assisted living facility until November 2013 due to such SEVERE health issues caused by "dude". We want you to read this book to benefit from her uplifting spirit...if she can have it...so can ALL OF US.

This butterfly is a survivor.

Lilli...you are amazing. God bless. You can be in our family...we would welcome you with open arms.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent and lesson learned!!, May 7, 2014
I read this book in a matter of a few hours.
I can't remember the last time I cried while reading a book...if ever. Heartbreaking would be an understatement. The inner strength of the these women is beyond the scope of imagination.. My heart goes out to them and the torture they endured over such a long time. Michelles being able to forgive is a testimony to her inner strength. Her willingness to be able to move forward to find her happiness and not allowing that
monster to control the rest of her life is.....deeply moving on many levels.
Really makes you think about keeping your eyes and
ears open . If you get one thing from this book...be aware of your surroundings. Take notice if something doesn't seem right ..it probably isnt. Call the police..better to be wrong than find out when its to late that you were right!!!!
You could save someone's life..
May you all find the happiness you so deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Moving, May 6, 2014
Michelle's recounting of her childhood, abduction, and years of captivity and unspeakable abuse brought me to tears. By the end of her memoir, I was smiling with her. I grew up in the Cleveland area and know from experience many of the conditions in the worst parts of the city. I was familiar with the media coverage surrounding the kidnappings of Amanda and Gina, and was especially shaken by the fact that they are my age and were taken from a neighborhood I'd spent time in as a teen. Michelle tells her story in way that has you living every moment with her, all while displaying a strength of spirit that I can not begin to imagine. She is truly an inspiring soul. After reading every word in less than 12 hours, I'm left with the feeling of wishing I could know her, hug her, and tell her how amazing she is. Only the strongest and most wise of souls can endure this kind of abuse and come out the other end so compassionate to others. You've done God's work darling, you showed that in the midst of suffocation, love is all sustaining. May your struggling be over forever and may your new life bring more blessing than even you, the brave dreamer, could have hoped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw, uplifting and unbelievably hope-filled, May 6, 2014
What these young women endured was beyond belief and for this author to be able to take us on the saddening journey is remarkable. I started the book this morning and couldn't put it down. The poetry is worthy of a collection. Her courage is beyond comprehension and her survival a testament to the human spirit. Must read but not for the faint of heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an amazing and courageous woman!, May 6, 2014
I finished this book in one day. Most of the time, I was wiping tears off my iPad wondering how this amazing young woman survived this horrendous ordeal. I wanted to jump into the book and just wrap my arms around her. Ever since the story broke on the news, I found myself including these women in my daily prayers. It's one of those stories you just can't wrap your head around. Plus Michelle is close in age to me. So I was curious as to what she went through. I have to admit after reading it, I literally felt like I was there with them while reading it. After closing the book, I thought, what do I need to learn from this young woman? Life is short. Everything can be taken from you in a moments notice and more than anything I learned you just can't trust everyone. Michelle knew who this man was and being the gentle loving and kind person she was was lured trying to get to her son - her son was her world. You never know when someone will prey on those things that are important to you to get you where they want you. It was also important to know Michelle's life prior and how she got to where she was. I almost felt as if Michelle really had done the best she could with the life she was born into. Yet what made me so sad was I felt it led her to the horrible imprisonment. I also completely understood her reasoning to be alone and away from all that to heal. To face her abuser in court and to tell him to his face how he couldn't break her. So what I learned from this woman's strength was the little things don't matter. We need to grateful that we can breathe and live. I wish I could meet Michelle, hug her and tell her how proud I am of her abundant strength. I would have died in that situation in less than a year. Michelle, you are so amazing and loved by many. Thank you for this lesson of strength! Stay strong my little flower! xo

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE, May 8, 2014
CC "bl0ndie" (Northern California) - See all my reviews
This book is filled with so much pain and anguish, but it is also filled with hope, inspiration and love. You can feel Michelle's anguish at her imprisonment, but the pain she feels for the loss of her baby, Joey, is palpable and heart wrenching. I too was once homeless, starving and alone at the age of fifteen and Michelle's account of her life at that time opened up old wounds and brought me to tears. I have chosen to try to forget those awful times, but in a weird way, knowing we endured very similar situations really gave me a weird sort of comfort. It's hard to feel like you're the only one who knows what true hunger, sadness and loneliness feels like. Having said that, I could never say that what I endured through my painful childhood and adolescence would even come close to being as horrible as what Michelle went through. What a brave, kind and beautiful soul she is. Btw, I read this in less than a day. Her story is compelling and as horrific as it was, it is so nice to see her use that beauty in ways that will now help countless others, so thank you for sharing your story.

AND, to that horrible person who gave the book one star here and claimed she knows the truth about Michelle's childhood and the loss of her son, shame on you! I sure hope you receive the karma that is due you!

$24.99 $14.98