5.0 out of 5 stars Are you a honey badger?
Published 18 months ago by Robert Morris

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I was excited about this book. I LOVE Karen Finerman. The book is so unfocussed. She rambles and wanders. It reads like a serious of random thoughts. Maybe that's what she wanted to produce in a book, but it didn't work for me.
Published 17 months ago by farm girl

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, June 29, 2013
farm girl (Groton, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Finerman's Rules: Secrets I'd Only Tell My Daughters About Business and Life (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you a honey badger?, June 4, 2013
This book's subtitle suggests that Karen Finerman shares in it "secrets" she would only tell her daughters "about business and life." In fact, obviously, she is telling them to anyone who reads the book. They are best revealed within the narrative, in context, but I feel comfortable suggesting that all of them are experience-driven and, if followed with appropriate care, can be of incalculable value to almost anyone (male as well as female) who is now preparing for a business career or has only recently embarked on one.

After explaining what she thinks successful "girls" are really made of, in Chapter 1, she explains in the next nine chapters how to achieve personal growth and professional development with a series of initiatives: get out of your own way, build and rebuild momentum, take asymmetric risks, find your inner decider, fail well, follow the path of most resistance, be where you are, let yourself off the hook, and take control of your finances. Finerman devotes a separate chapter to each initiative.

These are among the dozens of passages that caught my eye, also listed to indicate the scope of her coverage.

o My First Job (Pages 21-28)
o Ways to Show Confidence and Conviction (47-48)
o Doubt the Doubts (55-60)
o How to choose a mentor: Tbe best man may be a man (63-65)
o What's the Worst That Could Happen? (73-77)
o Six Steps toward Better Decision Making (95-115)
o The Golden Goose and the Iceberg (126-133)
o The Here and Now of Family Making (166-174)
o Making and Messing Up Plans (207-211)
o Learn from Others and Embrace the Wisdom of Our Mothers When We Can (212-213)

Readers will be especially interested in the "Finer Points" sections that Finerman also provides:

Chapter 2, "Ten Highly Selective Guidelines for Public Speaking" (18-19)
Chapter 2, "Eight Rules to Find Your Style and Look Your Best" (32-35)
Chapter 4, ""The Travel Cheat Sheet for Mentees and Everyone Aspiring to Succeed" (65-66)
Chapter 8, "The Truth about Maternity Leave" (181-182)
Chapter 9, "A List of Lists - From Lawrence [Golub]" (204-205)
Chapter 9, "Ten Highly Personal Rules for Raising Kids as a Working Mother" (211-212)

Many readers will especially appreciate Karen Finerman`s "Top 10" list of money traps, each accompanied by suggestions about how to avoid or escape from it. She concludes her book with a call to action: "So get out of your own way, push through your doubts and fears, know you will live through failure, learn all you can from it, and thrive. Be cold (bolder than you believed you could be, or fake it till its real), be confident, and be easier on yourself. And tell me what happens. I can wait to hear. Onward."

How valuable will this book be this book? That depends entirely on (a) whether or not those who read it "get it" in terms of understanding the wealth of information, insights, and counsel provided and (b) whether or not those who "get it" then apply what they have learned with the courage, determination, and endurance of a honey badger. Honey badger? Check it out. Those who aspire to achieve peak oerformance now have a new role model.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth your time., July 26, 2013
I should have caught on to the theme of this book when I read the sample that said Fineman's mother taught them the rule of Calvanism...your parents buy your Calvin Klein jeans until you graduate, then you have to figure out how to make enough money to buy them yourselves... The key theme being money, success, and very little real advice. A superficial book, written without much thought or moral conviction. I wouldn't recommend wasting your money on it. I was going to send it on to my adult daughters, but they would be bored by the lack of depth, and offended by her measurement of success being solely financial gain.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, July 31, 2013
This book was a real disappointment and a waste of time. I was inspired to read another women's leadership book after finishing Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In (which, by the way, is fantastic). I found Finerman's book to be incredibly dull and lacking in any of the same level of historical perspective, insight or practical advice that Sandberg's book offered. Mostly it was just her pithy little reflections on life and self-congratulatory stories. Don't bother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great practical advice!, June 6, 2013
Buyer (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Very refreshing! Karen Finerman shares her unique philosophy and insight on how to be successful in both business and life. Some sound advice on how to get what you want out of life/work and also quirky but very practical tips like "never be the last one ready when on a business trip." The writing is honest and often funny. She tells her own story (interesting to those of us who have followed her on Fast Money) and encourages readers to take stock of where they are in their lives, figure out where they want to be and how to get there unapologetically. Definitely worth reading this book. I know she says it's advice she'd only tell her daughters, and there are definitely some gender-specific things in there, but the majority would be good for any reader.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tone is too self-congratulatory, December 22, 2013
The advice Finerman gives is nothing new: don't let failure stop you; don't let hubby have full financial control; pick your battles, etc. etc. It's like every issue of Oprah's magazine, and generally all of her advice is sound. However, somehow her tone is a little too self-congratulatory, and overall the book isn't structured very well --- she rambles on with her little anecdotes. It might appeal to wide-eyed
20-somethings, but for a middle-aged career woman, I didn't find the book that great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Engaging, Insightful, and Down to Earth, August 9, 2013
Enjoyable read about women and money. Working and stay at home moms, and girls ready to enter the working world will find advice they can use to better prepare for an uncertain future.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new take on old information!, June 12, 2013
This book is subtitled "Secrets I'd only tell my daughters about business and life" for a very good reason. The book reads like a conversation that a mother would have with her daughters. She first advises that " the biggest obstacle women face in their careers is themselves." Yes, indeed! She includes excellent guidelines for public speaking (such as "be prepared with lots of practice", and "be brief". Enough said. She tells stories of jobs she's held, most recently as CNBC's " The Chairwoman", and how she overcame her own employment obstacles. She even advises women to use their sexuality, but you'll have to read the book yourself to "get the skinny" on that piece of advice. I would heartily recommend this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A role model of clear thinking, June 8, 2013
Valuegal (Livermore California) - See all my reviews
Like another reviewer I do not agree with Everything the author says, having Friends with Benefits comes to mind. That being said this book is refreshingly clear headed on how to have a full life. I was well acquainted with her work on Fast Money, where she is brilliant and charmingly funny, and that comes through in the book.
I think the best value in the book is her method of examining life an figuring out what IS important and separating that from what FEELS important but really is not. She manages her busy life by thoughtfully editing her life, so she gets the important and meaningful done and letting the rest go. I think the chapter called Letting Yourself Off the Hook is the most important. She talks about how she actually stays connected with her four children, step one got out with each child individually every two weeks.
I appreciate the frank way she addresses failure, even though she is wildly successful now, she has made many mistakes. She deals with them head on, and moreover she says you will fail too. She has a whole chapter on failing well, failure is inevitable - don't let fear of failure stop you.
As I read the book I kept thinking of people I wanted to give the book to. The only thing is, while I loved the finance part of the book, I can imagine a lot of people skipping over those parts. Resist! There are some wonderful lessons in the finance parts, if you are tempted to skip, skim instead, you will understand the lesson even if you don't understand the specifics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! is all I can say, June 5, 2013
I don't agree with everything Finerman says or even with all of her basic beliefs, but I'm giving this book five stars anyway because she says what she says and she SAYS it and doesn't back down--and she has the credentials to back up what she says: a good job, a good family life, she clearly knows her stuff. Her advice will work for anyone, but it is particularly good for young women, who are likely to fall into the temptation to get in the way of their own success, trying to do everything and be everything to everyone and actually accomplishing less that way than if they focused on taking care of the things that matter. I think all women should at least read it and think about it, even if you don't end up doing what she says to do. If nothing else, it will broaden your thinking and make you feel more confident in your ability to succeed in life.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›