4.0 out of 5 stars Reading with Tequila
Coming after the fantastically fun Fearless Fourteen, Finger Lickin' Fifteen keeps the craziness going. Lula witnesses a murder, causing her to move in with Stephanie. Causing the currently Morelli-less Stephanie to move in with Ranger. Lula's in a BBQ sauce competition, even though she can't cook. Ranger's security company is breached, causing him to bring in Stephanie...
Published on December 21, 2010 by Jennifer Sicurella

1.0 out of 5 stars Plum and pals on autopilot; the fun is gone, gone, gone
I'm a big Stephanie Plum fan. But even I was truly bored by this latest book. It's sad when a best-selling author like Evanovich is just phoning it in--I'm at the point of wondering if she has assistants writing these. Formulaic is too kind a word to describe this book, which features the same old, same old and then some.

Yes, we love the characters and laugh...
Published on July 30, 2009 by IRG

1.0 out of 5 stars Plum and pals on autopilot; the fun is gone, gone, gone, July 30, 2009

Yes, we love the characters and laugh at the stuff they get themselves into. But Plum and company are now rendered so one note, and so repetitively so, that the fun is gone, gone, gone.

I read a lot of book series. The best retain their sense of character but evolve. Plum and company are stuck.

Even for summer/quick reading, this is super, super "lite" and not in a good way.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bad way to end., September 8, 2009
This review is from: Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum Novels) (Kindle Edition)
Normally, I start a review by discussing the author, but Janet Evanovich is such an accomplished writer, I don't think that will be necessary. It is hard to believe that it has been fifteen years since we were first introduced to the sassy bounty hunter, Stephanie Plum. A show of hands from those who can remember One for the Money: One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1). Well, Stephanie, has come a long way since she first started chasing Joe Morelli. The last few books in the series, however, had readers convinced it was time to put this series to rest - and I was one of them. But Finger Lickin' Fifteen is, in some ways, a return to form for the best-selling author.

Stephanie Plum has had enough experience by now to be a seasoned vet, but somehow she still manages to stumble along the way - but I guess that is part of her charm. There are two things we can count on about Ms. Plum: She will bumble her way through the book and never commit to a serious relationship - both hold true in her latest adventure. Fifteen Lickin' Fifteen has all the characters that we've come to love and even spends time developing some of their stories. Lula, the clerk with a dubious past, witnesses the brutal murder of television star, Stanley Chipotle. This brings her the unwanted attention of keystone-capered-type-killers that are just as inept at their chosen career as Ms. Plum is at hers. Well, a big reward is offered for the capture of the killers, and Lula, along with Grandma Mazur, enter the cooking contest the TV star was in town to promote in hopes of catching them. Stephanie, meanwhile, is working with her on again, off again lover, Ranger, to solve a series of burglaries that appear to be inside jobs.

Let me end there so I don't spoil it for you, but I will say that I really, really, really, really, wanted to give this book a top score. I love Janet Evanovich, and her Stephanie Plum series, but this fifteenth installment failed on more than a few fronts to fully engross the reader. The Lula story is never fully developed, and while there are hilarities, they are rather shallow and pedantic. The heat begins to rise when Stephanie and Ranger are together, but this too is rather tiresome. Overall, Finger Lickin' Fifteen, has just enough humor and passion and mystery to qualify as a summer breeze. It doesn't achieve what the first six books in the series did, but it is slightly better than the more recent books in the series....I would recommend instead JoAnna Wylde's novel: Price of Freedom --Price of Freedom a much better novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Evonovich at her worst, July 7, 2009
I have loved Stephanie Plum for 15 years since her first book- One for the Money came out but I think that Ms. Evanovich has quit looking to make a good story and is in it just for how much she can make as her "between the numbers" books and this latest Stephanie installment have shown. Ms. E. must be tired of Stephanie and her antics. We have lost all the wonderful descriptive writing that have the reader laughing with full pictures in their head of what is going on whether it is when Stephanie was handcuffed naked to her shower and Ranger had to come let her loose or when she was running for her life down a street from a large rabbit that her Mother eventually runs over all the good descriptions are gone, stripped. It is a plain "Stephanie went here, she did this and the result was this" type of writing. BORING! And even sexy Ranger went from a 4 dimensional figure to one dimension. Ms. Evanovich if you are bored with Stephanie leave her be and start making quilts or playing cards at the Senior Center because obviously you can no longer write.

1.0 out of 5 stars Time for this series to end & Janet to create something NEW, July 30, 2009
S. J Taylor (Vista, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have been a big fan of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series from the beginning-heck I have collected an autographed hardback of every book since One for the Money.
The last few books in this series (and the in-between the numbers novelettes)have all been a rehash of the same tired scenarios. Stephanie blowing up cars, Stephanie not able to decide between Ranger or Morelli, Stephanie not able to catch her bond skips, Stephanie ending up drenched in some sort of goo, and unfortunately, Stephanie as an uninteresting mess than never seems to wise-up. Finger Lickin' Fifteen needed to be The Fifteen Finale. Janet, it is time to move on to a better developed, more intelligient character series. I cannot continue to be frustrated at the lack of Stephanie's progression. What was initially a funny, well-written series has declined into the same old book but just with a different cover. Janet please write one more Plum book where Stephanie actually matures and moves on with her life and end the series on a high note.

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought this book was written for adults?, July 11, 2009
Up to book 13 - the book that began the downward trend in Janet's writing - I looked forward to her new books like a 5 year old looks forward to Christmas day. I would read each book in a sitting and re-read it several more times before I could put the characters away for another year. Often I would re-read the entire series before the release of a new book. No longer... now I can barely get through one reading, and only because I have been such a rabid fan of her past works. Number 14 was so horrible that I hardly had any interest in reading FLF, but having some faith in JE's talent, I dutifully went out and purchased the book (although waiting - unheard of for me - a week after release date). I was very apprehensive about what further degradation of my beloved characters that JE would wreak. She managed to take a small step up from the horror of 14, but not much. I really hoped that she would acknowledge the fans feedback and actually TRY when she wrote FLF. She didn't. It was a rehash of old material, "jokes" and formulas. I will scream if she reviews with the reader one more time why grandma M is living with her parents, why the funeral parlor is a social gathering and where the Buick came from etc., etc. Seriously, no one knows this stuff?

She continues to reduce the characters into shallow cartoons of their former personalities. The plot was so thin and disjointed that as a reader I was bored and barely paid any attention to it, continuing to read just to get to an interaction between familiar characters. Since when is Ranger stupid? I often suspend my logic or reason when reading a SP novel, but more and more JE is forcing the ridiculous to a point that it is no longer funny, remotely possible or in any way enjoyable. The humor in JE novel's while always ridiculous now it is merely juvenile. How many grown woman do you know that find potty humor funny? The characters are silly caricatures of their former selves becoming shallower and more one dimensional with each of her recent books. Don't characters usually become more complex as a series progresses?

I always look forward to the heat between Stephanie and Ranger, made hotter by the conflict of her relationship with Morelli. Now there's no heat between anyone. Ranger used to constantly push the envelope with Stephanie and make it clear that if he really wanted things to progress between them that they would. Now he barely has physical contact with her and when he does, she acts unaffected or turned off. The attraction between them in the past gave some credence to Ranger's constant rescuing of Stephanie and his amazing generosity toward her. Now it just seems like Stephanie takes him for granted, is selfish, using him when she needs something with no real relationship left between them. Every lead in to an encounter between them went flat in FLF. She easily ignored Ranger's charms leaving the reader to wonder if he had any left. What was up with the total lack of any romance or progression of either of the relationships in FLF? I can think of a billion ways to keep the triangle of the romance going without forcing Stephanie to make a final decision and still continue to create the tension between the characters.

I used to recommend JE to others - no longer. I really think that instead of putting some creative energy into the story line she has contented herself to "milking" this series until she no longer can sell them. Janet is telling her fans that, like Stephanie, she too is willing to use others to get her needs met without any conscience about it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Help, August 7, 2009
Every June I wait for the new Stephanie book. It signals the start of summer to me. But, I guess I will have to find a new milestone becasue I am done with this series. If you have any doubt that Janet has lost her touch, reread "One for the Money" immediately after reading FLF. For series fans...'nuff said.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, August 14, 2009
I was really disappointed with #14, but somehow a year later shelled out the money to buy #15. I felt that the money was wasted. This book would have been the perfect opportunity to explore a "Ranger" relationship, but the same old games resulted in nothing. I found myself skimming the book and hoping that it would be saved by a really good mystery being solved. Instead, a silly Scooby-Doo ending left me bored. Ugh!

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't think they could get any worse, July 18, 2009
I've been a fatihful follower of the Stephanie Plum series since the very first book. Gradually, the repetition became annoying, but each book had enough of a twist to keep my attention. Until this one. It took me TWO WEEKS to read this book. That is how bored with it I was. There are many reviews before mine that make wonderful points, and I will not repeat what's already been stated.

The bottom line is that it is time to marry Stephanie off to Morelli or Ranger or let her and Lulu run off to Hawaii or anything but continue this ridiculous excuse of a series.

As a mom of young children with much stress in my life, I enjoy an easy read. For those of you arguing that the series was never meant to be fine literature, I understand your point. There is, however, a HUGE difference in a good, light read and a horrible book. This book falls into the latter category.

As much as I have loved Evanovich, it's time for us, the consumers, to make a stand and not buy this garbage she's churning out. If we don't, we'll be on Amazon.com five years from now reading numerous negative reviews of the latest Stephanie Plum novel. And Evanovich will be laughing all of the way to the bank.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, July 26, 2009
teacher (londonderry, nh United States) - See all my reviews
Let me start by saying that I was a huge Stephanie Plum fan and have read all of the books but they have progressively gotten worse since #9. I doubt this book was even written by Janet Evanovich. It wasn't even silly, it was just plain stupid. The storyline was underdeveloped and dumb and every character acted like they didn't have a brain between them, even Ranger. He let two young kids outwit him and between him and his whole team they couldn't solve the problem? It took Stephanie to stumble across the answer? Are you kidding me? So,if you're filthy rich and you don't care about money go ahead and spend it on this book and waste your time. If you work hard for your money then don't bother spending it here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh no, July 2, 2009
This series used to be one of my favorite summer romps--romance, mystery, and laughs.

Unfortunately, the good times seem to be over. The series isgetting too silly even for summer. This one is just plain witless: fart jokes, decapitation, and cross-dressing firemen.

Lula can't decide whether to focus on protecting herself from an axe-wielding killer or learning to cook ribs. Ranger has become so clueless that his high tech security business is almost brought to its knees by two hapless geeks. And, poor Joe, I can't even remember why he's a part of all this.

Oh well.

Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum Novels)
Out of stock