Published on August 15, 2009 by C. McDowell

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best ...
..teaching book. It is quite similar to The Hal Leonard Acoustic Guitar Method: A Complete Guide with Step-by-Step Lessons and 45 Great Acoustic Songs by Chad Johnston. It contains chapter "Using a Capo".I do not like using a capo, but at least you can practice through this chapter disregarding capo - it is just fine.
My main objection are chapters where "alternate...
Published on August 30, 2011 by Regnal

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book! It's a great book to get introduced to fingersytle guitar, August 15, 2009
This review is from: Fingerstyle Guitar Method: A Complete Guide with Step-by-Step Lessons and 36 Great Fingerstyle Songs (Hal Leonard Guitar Method (Songbooks)) (Paperback)
This is the second book I have by this author. As a former piano player I've often regretted not being able to play solo arrangements on the guitar. This book starts out relatively simple examples and builds on them using patterns found in many popular songs. Chad does a nice job introducing solo arrangements using Silent Night as an example. He introduces a melody and builds on this by adding bass lines, filler notes, etc.

As with the other book entitled Hal Leonard Acoustic Guitar Method: A Complete Guide with Step-by-Step Lessons and 45 Great Acoustic Songs" The Hal Leonard Acoustic Guitar Method: A Complete Guide with Step-by-Step Lessons and 45 Great Acoustic Songsmany of the songs in this book consist of only the key musical phrases and not the entire song. This can be irritating as you won't know without seeing the book which songs are completely transribed (tabbed). In fact this is one of the two reasons that kept me from giving it a five star rating. The other relates to the included CD. Most songs and song excerpts (about 99) are on the CD. I'd personally like to see all of them included though.

Don't let this stop you from deciding not to buy the book. Chad Johnson writes very well. His teaching style is very clear. Even though the songs aren't all fully tabbed I get a sense that he wrote the book with the understanding that in today's age it is very easy to get the full song by surfing the net. I also appreciate the fact that if he tabbed out every song it would be extremely difficult to pay attention to the lessons he is teaching.

In short - this is a great book for people who want to develop fingerstyle technique. I truly enjoy this author and will continue to buy his books as I think they are great teaching aids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginner book, June 19, 2013
I have purchased several fingerstyle books, all highly rated, but recently came across this one. Some of the others get advanced too quickly, but this book (and CD) lays out all the basics in a very orderly style with good explanations. It is written in music notation and TAB. They also cover how to arrange songs starting with the chords, melody and bass notes then adding fingerpicking "filler". This way you don't just have to read or memorize a song, you can figure out how to apply fingerstyle to any song. That's what I was looking for. They also have songs and partial song exercises like Yesterday, Fire and Rain, Dust in the Wind, etc. They get into capos and other topics then finish with four complete more advanced songs. I think the first half of the book is priceless, it covers the most important topics without getting too complicated. I wish I had started with this book. I am going to look for more books by Hal Leonard and Chad Johnson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, December 17, 2012
Great book. If you, like me,have started countless fingerstyle books and never finished any of them, this one is for you. You gotta have understanding of basics, like chords etc, because it dont start from scratch. Very thorough for book this size. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, October 19, 2010
This book is a good book with some decent exercises and good songs. I wish they made a w/o tab version for teachers. I am going to use it with my students.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best ..., August 30, 2011
My main objection are chapters where "alternate tunings" are presented. They take almost the whole second half of the book. Possibly others may like it, but I hate to re-tune my guitar for each consecutive song.

4.0 out of 5 stars audio for ipad only?, February 12, 2013
bradley r. quentin (houston, tx United States) - See all my reviews
Using the book on my Fire and it's great. The content is exactly what one expects from Hal Leonard. I am deeply annoyed that the audio tracks are only available if I have some manner of I-device. Get with the program Amazon, I have a Fire because I don't want an Ipad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical good Hal Leonard publication, July 31, 2011
Hal Leonard's guitar method tutorial series have been known for consistent excellence, as are the books of Mark Hanson. I've also enjoyed Ken Perlman's "Fingerstyle Guitar", as well as Happy Traum's 3 DVD set.
But, I wish I had been aware (before buying the forementioned) of the DVD "How to Play Fingerstyle Guitar" by Eltjo Haselhoff, distributed by customerservice@peghead.nl, which I found advertised on YouTube. The video production is superb, from lighting to scripting, terrific camera angles to audio, and Mr. Haselhoff is a charming tutor, who plays and teaches with conciseness and clarity. His goal for you is not to depend on tab, when learning a new tune, but by working the tune out by yourself, as much as possible, and in the process amass a lot of knowledge of guitar playing rather than having to rely on tab crutches.

Very much worth buying.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, July 23, 2014
NO VISUAL EXAMINATION OR INTERPRETATIONAL PRESENTATION PENDING THE LACKABILITY OF DELIVERANCE TO MY RESIDENCE.