Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on October 3, 2013
Thoroughly enjoying working through this book. Lots of info and techniques. Will be using this as a reference for many years. The CD that is enclosed helps to explain some of the less easily understood techniques by giving great examples of what the sounds are that you are trying for.
Wish I had found it sooner...
11 comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2013
Fred Sokolow is a great musician and instructor. This book will take the ukulele strummer into the world of ukulele fingerpicking in a very satisfying way. The material is well graded from beginner to intermediate and advanced. The various styles are clearly presented and illustrated, and the tunes used are quite well known. For those who want to take their ukulele playing to a new level, this book will serve as a very useful tool.
22 comments28 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2014
Melodies are pretty basic, tabs underneath. Progressively harder ie chords for song, basic melody for song, basic melody w chords, rolls interspersed in song. Various options for playing the chords through out a song depending on time signature. ( Not different chord shapes but variations on which strings of that chord you play separately or together, in a pattern, within a bar or two. ) There's a lot in here to try. Not advanced rocket science stuff. I am intermediate self taught. I can play everything in here. It's the introduction of different ways to play the chords/rolls/styles that I liked. I can apply that to other songs I play.
22 comments21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2013
It allows you to learn the basics of finger picking and play a few songs by yourself. Would choose this over Easy classical Ukulele songs.
on November 11, 2013
Just now learning to play the ukulele and wanted to get beyound the chords! This is an interesting method and should be useable by anyone really wanting to take their ukulele playing to the next step.
on June 7, 2014
I need a lot more practice, but the music is straight forward. You can read the number of frets on the strings that you hold down with your left hand and pick with the strings with your right hand. I play them slow as I read them, but will pick up the pace and get into tempo with the help of the CD that comes along with the book. I especially like the fact that it has some Blues songs like Rising Sun Blues and St. Louis Blues. Some of the chords on page 70 on MORE CHORDS! (JAZZ) are hard to form with my left hand, but in time I should be able to play them.
on March 14, 2013
I have been absorbing everything I can about learning to play a ukulele. This book is very helpful for someone like me, with very little experience. You can peek inside and immediately start practicing new techniques.
0Comment12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2015
This is a great book. I don't usually play with anyone else (such as a band or even others that play instruments). I am teaching myself to play the Ukulele. This is definitely something I enjoy. Learning the different ways to play this instrument is such a joy! After all, it is the happiest instrument to play! :D
on March 12, 2015
Nice collection of music to practice adding more finger picking to your strumming. They give you a song (sometimes in different keys) to play with strumming, then melody and then in combination. It also comes with a CD which helps.
on October 16, 2014
I'm a beginner, but the explanations, especially with the CD accompaniment makes the process of learning reasonable. I didn't expect the picking style to be with multiple strings, but that is a new challenge.