4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Rated
Published on July 8, 2011 by Peter Besenbruch

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaves white chalky residue on dishes
These tablets do not fully desolve in the dishwasher. They leave a white chalky substance on the dishes. I have to run the dishwasher 2 times and still it is not always fully dissolved. My dishwasher is 6 months old and I have not had this issue with any other product.

Published 13 months ago by Shopping Addiction

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Rated, July 8, 2011
This review is from: Finish Powerball Tabs Dishwasher Detergent, Fresh Scent, 60-Count (Health and Beauty)
Consumer Reports gave these a second place rating just behind Finish Quantum Tablets, and ahead of Cascade Complete All-in-one Pacs. All three are hard to find where I live. I have used all three. The Quantums clean well, but tend to allow redepositing. The Cascade cleans decently, but leaves cups with a coffee stain. The Powerballs are the best buy, and particularly in this size, they are quite cheap. They resist redepositing, and clean better than the Cascade.

Other information from Consumer Report's ratings (Summer of 2010): Avoid all liquids/gels. As a group, they performed worst. Powders are at best middling performers.

Update: Consumer Reports has an update review in the summer of 2012. If you have hard water the Finish Powerballs are better than the Quantums. The Quantums drop to number 3 in hard water, leaving the Powerballs number 1 by default.

Update 2013: The October Consumer Reports puts Finish Powerball at #2, just behind the rather more expensive Cascade Complete ActionPacs. The Cascade cleans pots better, while the Powerballs do a little better on dishes. With one exception (Cascade Complete Powder), avoid powders and gel detergents. Powerballs are probably the best combination of quality and price out there. If a low price is very important, consider Kirkland Signature Dishwasher Pacs.

5.0 out of 5 stars --- probably not ecofriendly; ++ finally gets the white film off my glassware, May 28, 2011
Vahnee (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
We always use ecofriendly products, so I was seriously bummed to realize that our super earth-friendly dishwashing detergent was in cahoots with our semi-hard water to leave a subtle opaque buildup on our glasses and inside our high-end dishwasher. We put up with it for over a year, convinced we were just using too much detergent, the hard water was to blame, etc.

Finally, when we ran out of detergent unexpectedly, I picked these up from our local supermarket and used it. I was surprised to see whole streaks of clean metal on the inside of the dishwasher door, where the white film was gone. And in one wash, most of the glassware was much cleaner; in 3 washes, the glasses looked brand, sparkling new again.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Detergents EVER, January 19, 2012
For as long as I can remember, I've had access to an automatic dishwasher for decades. I remember when I was a child, my parents had a pretty decent Whirlpool back in the day (about 20 years ago). There are two things that I remember about that Whirlpool. 1) It made washing dishes easier (I hated washing dishes by hand) and 2) we used a box of powdered Cascade for washing dishes (the kind in that metallic green box).

As I grew older and moved away from home, I experienced probably about almost a dozen or so different automatic dishwashers of varying brands & ages in numerous different apartments/homes that either I lived in or my friends/family lived in. Of all those experiences, I can definitely say that they all washed dishes well.

However I noticed that on occasion, sometimes glassware would have this white powdery residue on them and also, those "Glad" brand tupperware would sometimes get the same white residue that was sometimes even "caked" into the plastic with no way to remove it.

Putting 2 & 2 together, I realized that this residue had to be the dishwasher detergent, as there is no way that just the dishwasher alone could do something like this. Having experienced various brands of detergents (liquid kind, generic, brand name, tablets, pure powder, powder "packets"), I've found that nearly all of them have always put this residue on my glasses/tupperware to some degree.... except one brand. Electrosol (renamed to the name we know as Finish).

I've mainly had experience with the Finish Powerball Tablets, Fresh Scent, 60-Count and the Finish Quantum Powerballs. Both of these products work wonders with getting my dishes clean but more importantly, these are the only two products that I've used that DON'T leave that nasty white residue on everything.

4.0 out of 5 stars These Little Guys Work, November 13, 2009
I love this product. I've used powder and liquid dishwasher soaps and these tabs are by far the easiest to use. So easy, in fact, that I've made 'starting the dishwasher' one of my 7 year-olds chores. Because it's solid and lightweight, there's no worry about him using too much detergent, nor spilling. Basically, all he has to do is reach under the cabinet, pull out one tab, unwrap it, and put it in the dishwasher (closing the little soap door).

As you no doubt gathered from that description, the tab comes in a sealed package. Personally, I find it wasteful that every tab has it's own sub-packaging and I've actually detracted a star based on this. The packaging though is easy to rip open (nothing like a bag of chips).

As for how well it works::: it works as well as any product we have ever used. The 'jet-dry' portion of the tab keeps glasses spotless, and it scours dishes and pans much better than the regular Electrasol powder did for us.

Summary:::
Easy to use product that gets dishes clean. The jet-dry portion of the tab keeps glasses spotless and it's nice not to have to remember to buy the jet-dry liquid and refill the reservoire.

A definite nice convenience when it's hectic.

Pam T~
(#1042)

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaves white chalky residue on dishes, May 21, 2013
Shopping Addiction (Cottage Grove, MN United States) - See all my reviews

I bought this brand soley because it was low cost. Big waste of money. I will never buy this product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaves residue, April 4, 2013
We have hard water so I spent a long time trolling the internet to look for products that would help. I started with Cascade Complete and loved it, but switched to Finish because of price. So far I hate Finish and it leaves white residue that causes us to have to rewash 1-2 times. Cascade may have worked better because it is liquid and Finish is a hard detergent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance, January 27, 2012
In the past I always used store-brand powder dishwasher detergent and it worked pretty well (and was quite inexpensive). However, since phosphates were removed, my dishes were not getting very clean anymore. I tried a couple different brands (including versions of Cascade) and found that the Finish tabs work very well and are not that costly if you catch them on a sale.

I've also found that I no longer have to buy Jet Dry -- using just the Finish tabs keeps the water spots off glasses and other items. That brings the cost per load down since Jet Dry can be pricy.

I also tried the Finish Quantum version, and found that these regular tabs work just as well and cost less. Yes, the Quantum was a bit better at getting out really dried out gunk, but not by much. The Powerball version gives you 95% of the performance at a much lower price.

Very pleased with this, and can highly recommend them.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT IF YOU LIVE IN UTAH, June 12, 2013
Shoe queen (UT United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I got these because of all the rave reviews about how well it works on hard water. I have a brand new dishwasher and this doesn't work well with how hard the water is in Utah. I end up having to put a cup of vinegar in the washer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Chalky residue, May 30, 2013
First time I used these I was really happy, but only the first time. Now I have to run a least one additional rinse cycle as others have reviewed there is a chalky white residue left in some of the dishes. This is very apparent on darker colored dishes, which leaves me to believe its on the white dishes as well not just as noticeable. I didn't have this problem with the cascade powder I was using.

5.0 out of 5 stars And that's a nice reflection on you!, June 5, 2012
Doooeee (CENTRAL Bronx NY, US) - See all my reviews
The leading consumer mag gives this stuff a best rating and so do I. It says it costs 21 cents per load, but of course that depends on what you pay for the box. This giant box runs me about 17c per load, due to the lightning deal special. So back to the ratings: Last year's winner was Quantum from Finish, but it went down a peg to these powerballs. The only con is that sometimes the little ball falls out of the center, and its a PIA to open each individually wrapped tablet. Makes extra landfill waste too, I guess. I'm not a greenie but if you are, you may cares about that sort of thing. No big deal. We Americans are so spoiled, shame on me for even mentioning that. Ever been to Europe? DISHWASHER? NFW. So yah, these tabs do very well. I am used to putting stuff in both cups, so I cheat and put just a smidge of the dollar store junk in the "pre" cup, just out of habit, to cut the initial grease - but the directions on the powerballs say to put these things in the MAIN cup. To save energy, water, and money we just scrape dishes, never rinse first - just scrape and put in the DW. We are empty-nesters so just me and my wife here. We go 2, maybe 3 days before running the machine, so the dishes get pretty caked up. I use the energy saving setting on my dishwasher, so it's 1 first rinse-off cycle, 1 long wash cycle, and two or 3 rinse cycles. The dishwasher has one of those fancy electric eyes to check water clarity so it knows what to do. These powerballs do a fantastic job, whether a really greasy load, or just coffee cups and wine glasses. No etching, no spots, just fantastic.
Go get yourself a box or two. Is Amazon the best price? Who knows. But one thing - I didn't have to lug it home! And who doesn't like the guy in those brown shorts bringing you stuff, right? The stuff is FINISH which is what I'm going to do right now. (Now if I could just win the POWERBALL!)

Rate and Discover Movies