5.0 out of 5 stars Snap, Crackle, & Pop
Published on December 25, 2009 by Jersey Chuck

2.0 out of 5 stars Not even close!
Published on April 10, 2010 by Amazonista

5.0 out of 5 stars Snap, Crackle, & Pop, December 25, 2009
Jersey Chuck (San Francisco, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire Crackler Sound System CF6 (Kitchen)
First off let's clarify one thing. The unit (mine anyway) takes 3 "AA" batteries NOT 3 "AAA" (See "customer Images") as stated by the first reviewer and product description. With that aside it does sound like a real fire (snap & crackle) except every few seconds it gives off a lame sounding "Popping" noise akin to a sound I can't describe other than a drum stick hitting a pie tin. One friend said: "Popping bubble wrap" (with your fingers) but I've gotten use to it.
I have had it on continuously now for two (24 hours) days and the batteries are holding up fine. I'm going to leave it on to see how long the AA's last.

I'll write a follow up when "They Die"

I originally rated this a 4 STAR and now "upping" it to 5 STARS.
I placed it with the speaker facing the wall on the low setting to sound more realistic. Sixteen (16) days on @ 24 hours a day continuously and the batteries finely gave out, not bad!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little unit., January 6, 2010
Gary (Belleville, MI, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire Crackler Sound System CF6 (Kitchen)
Does exactly what it is designed to do. Small, lightweight and functional. If it had optional ac power (which I knew it didn't have) I would give it 5 stars. Kracklebox is twice the price, doesn't sound as good (much more repetitive) but does have ac power. But I like this one better.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It!, November 9, 2011
This review is from: Fire Crackler Sound System CF6 (Kitchen)
I received my Dimplex "Crackler" in the mail today, and was thrilled, from the moment I put the batteries in and turned it on. I fooled around with placement and volume, as suggested, and after a bit of trial and error, I arrived at a perfect combination. Because of the light weight and small size of the unit,I used double faced tape and adhered the battery cover to the "roof" of my fireplace, aimed directly down at the fire. Then I simply slide the unit back onto the cover, and switch it on. Because of the placement, there is no "sound localization" issue, and the effect is extremely pleasing. If I need to readjust the setting, or replace the batteries, I simply remove the unit from the cover, change the setting/batteries, and slide the unit back onto the cover. I am one happy "electric fireplace camper"- thank you! David R. Nordone

2.0 out of 5 stars Not even close!, April 10, 2010
This review is from: Fire Crackler Sound System CF6 (Kitchen)
I really tried to like this product. I was anxious to get it working with my electric fireplace. At first, the "fire" sounds were perfect, you can tell it was recorded from a real fire; but then.... the sound used to simulate the "pop" was so off the mark, repetitious and absolutely unrealistic, that it destroyed the entire fireplace effect. They sound like someone banging on an object. Following the advice from other users as well as the manufacturer, I worked with the placement of the machine (facing away, against the wall, etc), lowered the volume, but nothing. Finally, I ended up wrapping it with two layers of plastic material to drown the offending banging sound. Alas, it only killed the much lower "real fire" sound instead. I give it two stars because the idea has potential and can be easily perfected. How about just the fire sounds?.

I suspect the reviewers giving it more than 2 stars either have hearing problems or work for the company. I returned it without regrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It, February 3, 2010
This review is from: Fire Crackler Sound System CF6 (Kitchen)
I don't know what the negative reviews are about, but I think this is the greatest addition to my fireplace yet. Everyone who hears it can not believe that it isn't a real fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars This unit is THE BOMB!, September 23, 2012
This review is from: Fire Crackler Sound System CF6 (Kitchen)
I bought this unit more than two years ago to complete my electric fireplace, and have never looked back. I have used it through two Christmas periods, during winter with family and friends, recently during summer because I moved to the country and my wife likes watching it while relaxing, and it's still using the same first batteries I put in it.

Friends and family say it's the first electric fireplace they have seen with sound - and are always wowed when I pull this little item out from behind something on the mantelpiece. Now I'm looking for two more units as Xmas gifts this year.

I use it on the lowest volume and hide it behind somethinmg central... a very quiet crackle is all you want anyway for the best realism.

I'm not a fat lazy slob, so I don't need a remote to turn it on. Nor do I want a "brick" plugged in to be drawing power which I would have to pay for all year. So I'll just buy two batteries every three or four years, and absorb that enormous cost! (= sarcasm)

I wrote to my fireplace manufacturer asking why they did not include sound with their units, but never got a reply - now I think maybe that's because it's more expensive to install sound (and add a remote button for the lazy owners) - and then there are all the whiners who are never happy with any particular sound anyway, no matter how real it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking?, January 27, 2010
J. Cranshaw "Cranny" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire Crackler Sound System CF6 (Kitchen)
The folks at Dimplex seem to subscribe to the "If some popping sounds are good, then lots of popping sounds must be better" school of thought. My wife thought I was making popcorn when I turned it on. As other reviewers have said, the sound is annoying, even when on low and facing the wall with the speaker. I am reluctantly returning it, and will wait for a better model to come out.

2.0 out of 5 stars BATTERIES REQUIRED, December 22, 2009
This review is from: Fire Crackler Sound System CF6 (Kitchen)
Although the sound is realistic, the product description fails to point out the it is a battery ONLY operating device. I purchased this along with a remote control on/off wall plug so I could turn on my electric fireplace and this sound system with a one button press. Now I find I have to get up and turn on the battery device seperately anyway, so remote is really useless. This device requires 3 AAA Alkaline batteries to operate. Instead of enjoying carefree use of my fireplace with sound, it looks like I will be stuck forever buying batteries for the sound component. "BATTERY OPERATION - ONLY" really should be part of the items' description so folks know it is pointless to get a remote for their electric fireplaces.

Fire Crackler Sound System CF6