5.0 out of 5 stars Keep Price of competitors in Mind
Published 1 month ago by J. Garceau

3.0 out of 5 stars A good product THAT DOES NOT CHANGE THE WORLD !!!!
Published 1 month ago by L. Kirk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep Price of competitors in Mind, May 28, 2014
J. Garceau (El Paso, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV & Kindle Fire HDX 7" Wi-Fi 16GB with Special Offers (Product Bundle)
This is a great deal if you need both devices. Keep in mind that when they say you are saving $79 by bundling these two items together they are counting the Kindle Fire HDX as a $229 value. At this time you can buy the Fire HDX for $199 at other stores. So you are really saving approximately $50 by bundling these two. It is still a great price for these two but just not as great of a deal as the $80 savings and less of an incentive to buy both. Unfortunately at this time I don't see an option to upgrade the bundle to a Kindle Fire HDX with 32GB or 64GB hardrive. You only have the choice of the 16GB. Other than that observation there is not much else to say about these products that hasn't already been said. The more you deal with Amazon the better deal this becomes. You pay for Prime and get the free Instant videos, Kindle books, Amazon Mom stuff. So the more devices you use the more value your Prime membership adds.
One of the reasons I got the kindle was because of the discounts on textbook rental. Upon looking into it further I found that the Kindle version is usually more expensive than to buy a used textbook. This seems like the case most of the time but if it ends up being 50% cheaper on even 2-3 textbooks then the Kindle may have paid for itself.
Also children can use it instead of buying books that take up space and get left on the floor they can be stored on here to save space.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Bundle but.., June 2, 2014
16Gb is just not enough !The HDX tablet is an incredible tablet, great display, great performance and amazing ecosystem (Amazon Prime Video streaming, Prime Lending library, Free pre published book monthly, great music, great games, etc.)
But 16Gb is not enough... you will wish you'd had the 64Gb version - trust me ! You begin to hate freeing up space on a regular basis - bear in mind that with Amazon you get a free paid for application daily !! And there are some really great apps that get given away !! Plus with Prime Video - you now have the option of downloading the video content for offline viewing ... and trust me videos will chew up that 16Gb in no time !!

The Amazon Fire TV is a great device. Prime have a great supply for titles....and their open application support gives you a host of titles that you can run and other content providers - that competitors like Apple limit you in !

5.0 out of 5 stars a really good deal but would be better if bundled with another Kindle Fire HDX, May 31, 2014
UPDATE: AT THE TIME OF WRITING THIS REVIEW THE BUNDLE WAS PRICED $249

I am an owner of three different Kindle fires. They have some flaws like being limited to amazon market place or silk browser being an annoying under performer. However, when compared with other similar tablets, they are undeniably superb in media consumption. Crystal clear graphics with unmatched sound quality... They are absolute 'must have's for especially prime members. So, as a prime member, even if I don't use them as my main tablets, I think I will always have a kindle fire to be able to watch prime content.

Fire TV is a newbie standing against google TV, apple TV and many more. The competition looks tough in that field but so far amazon has done a pretty decent job and has created loyal followers of the prime media content. I am sure even with $99 full price tag, it would have popularity among the prime members. However, since other well established competitors like roku, apple and google TVs are also priced in $90-100 range, no matter how technically superior this device is, it would struggle being the top among them. Amazon, as a company, is famous for the limited time mouth watering deals and this is a pretty good one to extend the customer portfolio outside the die-hard amazon prime fans.

I agree with the other reviewer who points out the fact that the actual price of Fire HDX is $199 from outside vendors like office depot, best buy and 23 more (according to google shopping search) when you consider the sale tax you need to pay on top of that vs no sale tax for most states with amazon, still savings climb upto the $60 range which is not bad at all.

My only concern is the limitation of this deal with the 7" tablet, which does not have a rear camera. I would be happy to pay the difference and get it bundled with 8.9" fire HDX. But now, despite the great price advantage, I will have to think twice before hitting the submit order button...

3.0 out of 5 stars A good product THAT DOES NOT CHANGE THE WORLD !!!!, June 11, 2014
I have been a mostly happy Roku user for 4+ years now. I started with the XDS model, which was their top of the line with dual band Wi-Fi, Ethernet, 1080p output, and optical audio output. Later, I added a Roku XD player in the basement, but that never got much use and it got sold. A few months ago, I "upgraded" to the Roku 3 because it promised improved performance. I liked the XDS, but frankly it was slow to navigate, the GUI was awkward, and it took a long time to spool video initially or if signal was dropped. Roku 3 improved the general GUI navigation speed and vastly improved the Wi-Fi connection issues. But they took away the optical audio output. Now, if you're one who has the latest receiver with HDMI inputs, this might not bother you too much. Me, it bothered, because my older discrete audio preamp/processor lacks HDMI inputs, and the only way to get digital audio for Dolby 5.1 into the prepro is via coax or optical audio outputs from the source.

So when I first saw Amazon Fire TV, I thought it looked nice. But, other than the Roku 3's lack of audio output (it IS annoying that I cannot stream a 1080p movie with surround sound from this new "top of the line" product), and the fact that I keep losing video sync with the Roku 3 and have to pull the HDMI cable and sometimes the power cable to get everything to work again (yeah, 3 times in the past week). Well, I was happy-ish with the Roku 3 but was going to pass on Amazon Fire TV until the next gen, after all I just bought the Roku 3.

WHAT? Kindle Fire TV has optical audio out? And better hardware specs? Yeah, I had to try it. There's always Ebay for the Roku 3, if the Fire TV is as good a performer on the A/V rack as it looks on paper ... or for the Fire TV if it just doesn't measure up.

I'm sorry, I can't add any comparison to Apple TV. I have not used the Apple product. I think even without that comparison, this is still a decent evaluation of the Fire TV device.

So let's have a go at it then, folks; here's what I have found after a weekend of extensive use of the new Kindle Fire TV. First, I'll give you pros and cons of Fire TV. Then some wins and losses for Roku 3 and for Fire TV. Last I provide a general summary.

Fire TV PROS:

Some great hardware specs: 2x the RAM of other leading players, dedicated Adrena 320 graphics processor, quad core main processor ... this box has the specs of a mid-high end smartphone. But specs are just numbers and words. Does Fire TV live up to the spec hype? Well, it's fast. Navigating the GUI is fast, bootup is about 30 seconds (and about 45 for Roku 3). It's not going to blow your mind, but it's not going to annoy you by making you wait too long for much of anything.

Optical Audio Output: Even if you do not need or use this output, it's a definite plus for the box to have it. It's a selling point if, some day in the future, you decide to upgrade to the future next-gen Fire TV.

Dolby Digital Plus: I can't personally take advantage of it, but it's always good to have a device with the latest audio and video standards. Dolby Digital Plus gives you that, with the ability to utilize 7.1-channel audio if you have 7.1 speakers hanging around your place.

Voice search: If you have ever had to input a title via a 4-way navigator and pecking out each letter, you will quickly understand the Power and Magic of being able to speak the title you want to search for. And how does it work? Well, frankly, it actually took me about 5 minutes to get it to work. At first I pushed the button and let go. Fail. Then I noticed it said to push the button and hold it down and speak. I pushed it and held it down for 2 seconds and let go and spoke. Fail. Then I finally got it. I have to hold it down THE WHOLE TIME while I'm speaking. It will then think about my words for a moment, then display them. But does it search then? Oh, no, it does not. Then I have to click "OK" which isn't really labelled, it's in the middle of the navigation circle. (So 1940s. So counter-intuitive.) THEN it will search. Win on Voice search; lose on awkward implementation.

Worked without a hiccup: It does work without any glitches that I experienced. No dropped HDMI sync. No lost WiFi. Just viewing happiness. Any product should work, so that's not a Fire TV win per se ... it's a win over Roku 3 though, which for me, often loses HDMI sync.

CONS:

Where's my water ... er ... apps?: Well, don't expect to be able to connect to the Play store and start loading up your Fire TV with all your favorite Android games and apps. In fact, don't expect to load the games and apps you've already bought from Amazon App Store. For me, though I've bought (or scored for free) dozens of games and apps from Amazon, only 2 lonely games out of the lot showed up on my Fire. TV. Now, it's possible that your Kindle Fire apps will all show up; can't confirm that for you since I have a Nexus 7 not a Kindle Fire. I think it kind of sucks that my games don't show up on the Fire TV, and hopefully enough users will complain about this to get Amazon to make them available to us. And how about all my audio stored in Amazon's Cloud? ... my MP3's and CD/digital content? Sure would be nice to be able to stream that to my hifi system.

Apps (think Channels) availability: This is clearly the biggest weakness of the Fire TV product. It becomes readily apparent that there is merely a fraction of the number of channels available on Roku. The major ones are mostly there, but to me, the attraction of a product like Roku is that it makes enough content available to make cutting the cord a clear possibility. With Roku, it is. With Fire TV, well, I suppose it could be, if you want to pay for everything you watch - even items that may be free elsewhere. Make no mistake. Fire TV is about selling you content from Amazon, just as Kindle Fire and Kindle are about selling you content on those devices. There are a few, but not many free apps, and currently some major channels like HBO Go are missing. I don't think it is useful to list all the differences, as within a few weeks, information like this will be outdated. Both products will add, and occasionally lose channels. Let it suffice to say, a LOT of Roku channels are not available on Kindle. (It kind of reminds me of Apple's foray into online environments many years ago. Eworld. Anyone else remember that? It was like wandering around in a vast, empty hall, or like on Nostromo, where no one could hear you scream. But I digress.) It's not just that channels available on Roku aren't here, it's just that there aren't that many channels AT ALL here. Amazon says 100+ games are now available with thousands coming. Darned if I can find 100 games. And we'll see how the thousands coming thing goes. You don't get a "plus" for vapor, and you don't get one for "we make you pay for everything, even what's free on Google Play."

Some so-so hardware specs: WiFi doesn't include 802.11ac. With the other higher-end specs in the hardware design, not including 802.11ac is a bit of a surprise. My router is 802.11n, but I'm sure some of you would like to see 802.11ac in this product. USB is version 2.0. Come on Amazon, USB 3.0 has been out for a couple of years now.

No headphone jack on the remote: If you don't have one now, you might not realize how handy that can be. Partner wants to snooze? No problem. Plug your favorite buds into the remote and go into silent mode. And not have to read lips.

Push, push, push the Amazon content: Not "push" as in send downstream. Push as in ram their paid content down your throat. At every turn in the GUI, you are prompted and suggested to buy something from Amazon. Give it a rest. It's just annoying. That doesn't happen with Roku ... yeah there is paid content, but it's not crammed down your throat. Also see below under Confusing GUI for how paid Amazon content is pushed when the same thing is available on a different non-Amazon channel (that you've likely already paid for).

Confusing GUI: The User Interface is a bit confusing. I was talking earlier about channel availability. Actually you don't have channels on Fire TV (forget everything you've ever known about using tv for the past 70 years and do things OUR way!). Now your channels are apps. And so are your games. And TV shows and movies aren't apps, they're in their own categories. I think these must be Amazon-revenued movies and TV, as opposed to the ones you can watch on Netflix or Hulu Plus. Like TV series ... search for "Orange is the New Black" and your search result only brings you Amazon's paid offering, not the Netflix one (even if you're subscribed to Netflix). Also, under the Home menu, there are also selections for movies, TV, games, etc. Very similar selections are at the top menu level (same as Home). Why the same thing in different places? Crap, don't make me work this hard for entertainment. I work hard enough at work. Entertainment is supposed to be fun, not puzzling, repetitive, and illogical. It's like a GUI that they let Marketing design, not engineers. Engineers give us logic. Marketing gives us multiple ways to buy stuff.

Fire TV Wins:

Hardware Specs: A class above the others. The entrails of a medium to high range smartphone. Not all that it could be, but heads above the others. It makes navigating the GUI VERY fast.

Optional gaming controller: If those games turn out to be worthwhile, having a real game controller to interface with them is a nice advantage. While the Roku 3 features a motion-sensitive remote, it does not have the familiar controller layout. (Well, if you turn it on its side, it does kind of resemble the old Nintendo Wii controller a little ... but not a full-fledged gaming controller, nope.) Still, for an "optional" controller, it becomes readily apparent that many of the games require it.

Pretty screensavers: Amazon loads up some lovely photos for your screensaver. Which is the least important place to score a win over the competition.

ROKU Wins:

Better remote options (plural): Headphone jack. Motion sensitive remote. True, I can't talk to it, but I can still talk to the cats. And I can install a Roku remote app on my phone or tablet and easily type in the item I'm searching for. While Fire TV remote is slimmer and has that nice Nexus 5-like grippy rubber feel, and fewer buttons, it feels like there are too few buttons, and the other cool stuff isn't there.

Content. As in, more channels: In essentially every area other than games, Roku spanks the Fire TV currently on channel availability. Roku content is richer, deeper, and far, far more varied. The difference is significant, make no mistake.

Search across multiple channels: A top-level search box lets you enter the name of a program or movie you want to watch, and the Roku returns a list of channels providing the content. Sweet. You can pick the lower cost alternative ... you can actually SEE lower cost alternatives.

The channels are built in: With Roku, all the channels are there in the Channel Store. Just click and it's added. All the channels are stored in the software. With Fire TV, you have to download the ones you want. And watch that 5 GB melt, melt away like cellulite on a late night commercial.

Arranging the channels. I don't want them to appear in the order I added them, nor even by how often I use them. I want to decide which ones I see first. I want an area where I control what I see, my personal channel area. (Elsewhere, I have to live with the ones Amazon is pushing me to buy appearing first, in the middle, and when you're not paying attention, oopsie, there too! It's everywhere, that paid content!)

Ties with Fire TV and Roku 3:

Both Roku 3 and Fire TV have Ethernet, both have dual band WiFi, both have Ethernet ports. Both have 1080p and HDMI-only output. BOTH boxes let you throw content to them in various manners.

Video start: Amazon says it's immediate. I found the wait time to be about 3-5 seconds. Roku vastly improved their "spool" time (i.e., they decreased the wait) with their latest generation, I generally only wait about 4 seconds or so for the show to start. Not game changing. Pretty much the same as the competition there.

Conclusion:

Fire TV is not a Roku killer, nor even a GAME CHANGER!!!!!!! It is a good product with some clear weaknesses and a few hits. Its wins include very good hardware specs and performance to match, good audio support, voice search (that needs some refinement in implementation), the intended functionality to be both a media player and game machine, and a competitive price with other top of line media devices. Fire TV's weaknesses include much less content than Roku, especially free content; lack of transportability for your purchased Android apps (from the Amazon app store); no access to your Amazon Cloud audio content; a confusing GUI design; weak, barebones remote; and a none-too-subtle tendency to cram Amazon content down your data pipe in every possible way.

Is Fire TV worth buying? Bottom line. Not unless you have a very specific need for some unique feature or option (for me, it was the optical audio output). Otherwise, these boxes are all about the content. Where the content is clearly thinner and weaker, what is the advantage? Now, perhaps in 3 -6 months, Amazon will provide more channels. Perhaps they never will, just more games to sell you. Maybe they are making it look like they are competing with Roku and Apple TV, but are really just getting the box placed wherever they can by dangling shiny specs before your eyes, but with no plan to ever truly make the device equal to the very capable Roku product. I don't know. I think that's a clear possibility though.

So is my Roku 3 going on Ebay? Fortunately, I have extra HDMI ports on the TV. No, I'm not selling the Roku yet. I would miss all those channels that Roku has that Fire TV does not. So I'll live with 2 boxes for the time being. Maybe Fire TV will acquire more free fun channels. Or maybe I'll find that I just don't care about that optical audio output enough to keep the Fire TV. Time alone will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bundle up and save while it lasts!, May 28, 2014
I recently purchased Amazon Fire TV for full price of $99 dollars but if you are thinking to purchase either one of these products offered in the bundle especially Amazon Fire TV and want to have an excellent streaming media player experience for viewing Amazon Instant video contents & supported apps & games to your big screen TV then this bundle deal will save you money for sure!

Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers portion of this bundle is also an excellent 7" tablet which by itself costs $229.00 at this time of review writing. So basically you are getting Amazon Fire TV for mere $20 dollars which is a steal at the current limited time offer from Amazon.

EDIT: (June 18 2014) - The offer keeps changing often this review was based when the bundle price was $249

There are very good amount of reviews written by Amazon community members on both these products which Amazon is currently offering in a nice $$ saving bundle. I must agree that this streaming media player Amazon Fire TV portion of this bundle is geared towards one main goal that is to get 'Amazon content' to your TV at lightning speeds! - Kudos to the engineers and developers on this amazing piece of hardware & extremely clever software programming delivering a product that is 'user friendly' and very well presented & executed.

Amazon Fire TV portion of this bundle reviewed earlier by me shared here again:

The quad core 1.7Ghz Snapdragon processor combined with dedicated Adreno 320 GPU shows its `raw power' when you navigate screens & view content. It is by far (according to my experience) the world's fastest streaming media player till date in terms of hardware specs. Everything is `snappy fast' and instantaneous when viewing content from Amazon and other apps. There are no streaming delays or wait loading content ever. I must admit that after using more than a year with Prime Subscription running on discontinued Logitech revue (Google TV)'s poor Amazon Video application I consider this Amazon Fire TV light year ahead of the game in all respects. For people who are still hanging on to Logitech Revue my suggestion is give up on Logitech Revue and switch to FireTV. Trust me you will not regret it.

The voice search capability is by far the best I have seen in any platform till date and I must admit it works extremely well for searching Amazon content. I hope to see the feature extended to popular apps in the future making it even more productive.

The 'FireOS' which is actually a very heavily tweaked Android OS but credit must go to Amazon's software developers for customizing Android OS for making it extremely user friendly while still keeping it open for tweakers to 'side-load' unsupported/untested/unofficial applications if needed via Android Debug Bridge (ADB) BTW, Amazon has made this procedure official and is documented on Amazon's developer portal if you want to get third-party apps side-loaded.

Having said, The `official' third party application support currently available on Amazon's web portal is not that great but IMHO will improve over time since this hardware inside Fire TV is capable of doing much more than what it is currently being used for. The first application that got my attention was `Plex'. Installing PLEX app gives you the capability to stream all your local media files while still maintaining the same look and feel of the excellent UI. You will however have to dedicate a PC to run their server software for trans-coding unsupported file formats but using PLEX gives you beautiful backdrops & information that is worth the effort for dedicating a PC just for media streaming. PLEX also opens up the world for 100's of channels that is currently not available for Amazon FireTV.

You can side-load XBMC media center (XBMC 13.0 Gotham for Android (ARM)) if you are familiar with can also give you similar experience like PLEX without having to dedicate a transcoding server on your home network but XBMC still needs a lot of polishing & skins to match what Amazon FireTV UI has to offer. I am sure developers of XBMC will come up with an official app soon to take advantage of the raw hardware Amazon FireTV has to offer.

The YouTube for FireTV application is also one of the best that one can get in any platform making this streaming media experience a joy to use. The Dolby Digital Audio out from FireTV makes the video and audio experience very good. YouTube app needs some polishing but the instant playback of video makes up for all the current bugs & short falls.

You *do* need a decent broadband internet connection (3Mbps or better IMHO) for best content streaming experience. Most of us already have a good internet connection that we already pay for every month and barely use it. Once you have a good internet connection there are plethora of channels that you can spend hours browsing & viewing them at lightning speeds. There are popular channels like Netflix, Hulu Plus etc; etc; I personally do not own a Netflix account but it is there if you like and will get better over time with many more channels to come as content providers rush to capitalize on Amazon Fire TV's excellent raw hardware power to deliver their content alongside with Amazon's content.

Amazon fire TV is great for watching Prime instant videos & occasional gaming on big screen TV. Voice search is very good too using the included remote but there is one issue that being the fact that the remote is 'Bluetooth' not 'IR' so that means you cannot teach your programmable universal remote with the command sets from Amazon Fire TV remote. I have been trying various methods to use my universal remote which I use to control all my audio/video pile of Equipment of my home theater to seamlessly work with Amazon Fire TV but not an easy task since the remote is 'Bluetooth' based.

After doing some research on-line I found that certain 'IR remotes' which were designed to be used with Microsoft Media center (MCE) somehow do work but only certain picky types of MCE IR remotes. I took a gamble and bought this Ortek Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver since it looked pretty much same (Especially the controller) and I can confirm that this works with Amazon Fire TV and I was able to use the included remote and program my other universal remote all the basic commands one needs to navigate Amazon fire TV's user interface. The only thing that does not work is the closed caption choice (CC) button which is no big deal! the other benefit is that you can put the Amazon Fire TV to sleep by pressing the power button which even the original Bluetooth remote from Amazon cannot do it :)

There are so many good content to view from Amazon Instant video (Especially with some HBO shows added recently) with Prime membership and completely commercial free that Amazon fireTV has to offer that by paying yearly $99 for Prime membership (which has other benefits like free 2 day shipping) and this one time $249 dollar investment on this bundle you can own a very good personal tablet and streaming media player which you can connect to your big screen TV and `cut the cord' from your cable company for good.

-- Recommended buy - Get it -- Five stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this bundle at this price., May 28, 2014
My 10 year old son just saved up his money to buy a Kindle Fire (after "borrowing" mine constantly for the last month or two). We were debating between the regular HD and HDX and ultimately went with the HDX for improved performance and graphics and battery. Had I seen this deal, we would have snapped it up in a minute! If you are trying to decide between the HD and the HDX, go for this and get an extra bonus. I have enjoyed my Fire TV as a way to watch Netflix and my Amazon Prime streaming content, in addition to reading books. He likes using it for games, but I'm also looking forward to using the downloadable Prime content for this summer's travels. I'm just glad he has one now, and I can read my books now.

This is a GREAT deal. You are basically getting the Fire TV for only $20.

3.0 out of 5 stars Give us some choices of Kindle size please !, June 1, 2014
Would snap this deal up without a second thought if it were a 8.9 Kindle Fire HDX - 32 GB. Guess I'll hold out for a while longer. Already have the original Kindle Fire 7 inch, it's a tad to small for my consumption appetite which is why I'd say to Amazon - not everyone fits the 7 inch profile. Pretty please Amazon.... let us upscale the deal to our liking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, five stars, and this is why..., June 12, 2014
The offer was on the home screen when I went to Amazon for something completely unrelated. However, I'd been toying with the idea of a Fire TV for my husband for some time. His work involves a great deal of travel, often to remote locations, and although his company ensures there is always a high-speed internet connection available - he's in the oil and gas industry - there is often a dearth of entertainment for the downtimes, and re-watching movies and surfing YouTube gets old.
This little combo will be perfect.
I added the gaming controller for the fun of it, and the cable as they never know what they'll run into regarding electronics. On a whim, I also applied for the Amazon store card, which gave me an additional $20.00 off the total.
I agree with those who wish an upgrade to more storage had been available, and no, I would not have purchased this particular combination as a primary source of entertainment for my home, but for my hubby's forays into the wild, or for times when we take our fifth wheel out to the coast or into the mountains, it suits the bill handily and is a very good value.
Looking forward to surprising him with this on fathers' day. Thanks, Amazon :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish they had a bundle for the larger Kindle Fire, June 13, 2014
Kathleen Fisher (Barefoot Bay, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
If they provided a bundle with more options and pricing levels (8.9 Fire and/or different storage levels) I'd totally be all over it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've tried them all. This is the best!, May 30, 2014
Hudson River Reader (Hudson River Valley, NY) - See all my reviews
I've tried Roku, Apple TV, and my smart TV. Nothing works as well as the Amazon Fire TV! I have a pretty lousy broadband connection and other devices were always buffering. Somehow Amazon TV manages to provide a top quality picture with NO buffering! Nicely designed interface too! Needs some more apps and channels, but I'm sure they are coming. In the meantime, Amazon Fire TV has revolutionized our TV watching! I love it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›