4.0 out of 5 stars Quality quite good, especially for this price point
Received this today and put it together, and just fired it up. As another reviewer observed, all parts present, unit well packed and undamaged. All the holes lined up well, and the bolts all fit well where they were supposed to.

Published on November 23, 2011 by knb53

1.0 out of 5 stars Works but badly manufactured !
Published on December 7, 2011 by Adouglas

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality quite good, especially for this price point, November 23, 2011
knb53 "knb53" (Edwardsville, IL USA) - See all my reviews

It is easy to light, and seems to put out a respectable amount of heat. It is tall enough to be safe from hair lighting, yet not so tall that the heat is far from where it is needed. It is quiet, and the entire burner seems to light evenly with a nice blue flame. Most important, it seems safe to me. Reasonable build quality, a couple of safety features common to things propane, etc.

I am taking one star away for poor instructions. The print and pictures are very small and poorly labeled, and aside from using one's logic and experience (which isn't hard for this particular assembly), the instructions on which sized bolts to use where is virtually non-existent.

Still, happy with the purchase so far... It is what we needed at less than I thought I'd have to pay. And 2 day shipping was free with Amazon Prime.

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, November 19, 2011
Like other reviewers I found the directions to be bad even for the breed of low cost, low-price point, Chinese made products. That said, it is not rocket science and not terribly difficult to assemble. I had mine together in less than an hour working at half-speed and it contained all the parts, was packaged well and arrived undamaged. The metal body and wheels seem to be of reasonable quality while the top/heat reflector is beyond flimsy. I personally do not have enough experience with other similar products but I am skeptical the top will last. To be fair, it was less than $200 and not $600+ so perhaps the quality was consistent with the price. I purchased the manufacturers cover as well so I will keep my fingers crossed and update on the ultimate longevity of the heater.

ADDING another STAR for excellent year two performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire Sense Commercial Heater - pilotless ignition is great, February 14, 2011
This review is from: Fire Sense Commercial Patio Heater, Unpainted Stainless Steel (Lawn & Patio)
I previously had a propane patio heater with a pilot light. What a pain! This heater with a pilotless direct ignition is fantastic. It lights right away, then shut it off when you are done. No getting on a stepstool and peering into the heater to see if the damn pilot light is lit. Plus, they blow out, not to mention that the thermocouple does not last and then you might as well throw them away, since they are not easy to repair. With this unit, you turn it on when you want to use it and then shut it down. Much easier to use and worth the extra money. Unit is not too heavy, so easy to move around on the built in wheels. A bit disappointed that the "stainless" steel base is beginning to rust in only a few months, but I can probably get it off with a little steel wool. Assembly is about 45 minutes and instructions are good. I am buying a second one and would never go back to a model with a pilot light. Get a patio heater cover for it also. Exposing the burners and ignition system to the elements most likely shortens the life of a heater significantly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Update: Looks Great! Works!!, September 7, 2012
**Update 24 Sept: Customer service sent a new head unit for the patio heater and it WORKS! It puts off a very good amount of heat, and has a good reach diameter. This is actually a nice heating unit. So I would give it 5 stars, but the back and forth to get a functioning head unit counts against the overall rating. Maybe my experience was a one-off. Even with the issues I recommend this patio heater.

Bought this product to use on my home patio. It's a great looking heater with quality construction. It didn't take too long to assemble, and assembly was easy and straightforward. The problem is that is simply doesn't work. It lights just fine, but as soon as the temperature knob is released (you have to hold it in to start the heater) the pilot light goes out. This makes it completely unusable. After some searches on google, it appears it could be a tilt indicator problem or a thermocouple failure. I contacted the manufacturer directly, but did not receive a call back for a week. Called again and was assured I would have a response within one business day. Side note: I called during the customer support business hours, but the message said "The office is closed." I was able to press 0 and speak with a live person, but all they could do was assure me someone would get back to me. It's really unfortunate this heater doesn't work because it "looks" like a great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Heater, August 9, 2013
I have other patio heaters and put them all together myself. This one wasn't too difficult and I had it together in about an hour. It was much harder than most heaters to get lit the fist time. I also think the reflector is not big enough to disperse the nice amount of heat it generates.
It seems every time I turn it off, you need to bleed the line of air when you light it up again. My other heaters pop on much faster. Once it is lit, it works fine.
I didn't know this didn't have a door for the propane cannister. You actually have to lift the bottom section up and balance it on a ledge. Everytime you use the heater, you're supposed to turn the valve of the propane cannister off, so you have to lift it before lighting, and lift it after it is off. Not that big of a deal but inconveneient never the less. My other heaters disperse heat better because of the larger reflectors. At this price though, it is still a good buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works but badly manufactured !, December 7, 2011
The propane patio heater I purchased arrived on time no damage. The problem came once it was assembled, the factory welds that hold the tubing and base were welded in such a way that the entire heater leans at an angle. It is still functional but is visibly crooked. I'm gonna add a video if possible to show exactly what I mean. Unfortunately I ordered it for a surprise for my wife, but work was busy and the weather stayed nice longer than expected so I didn't assemble it til a month after it arrived. Due to the wait it left me out of the return period, otherwise I wouldn't even know that it was still functional. Since I'm stuck with it I use it, but it is awful looking! For $200+ dollars it should be well made and stand strait, but it doesn't! We call it the leaning tower of junk!

1.0 out of 5 stars Spend $50 More & Buy The Deluxe Fire Sense Heater!, September 4, 2011
I was extremely disappointed in this product. It is absolutely not worth it! The parts are poorly made. It was almost impossible to put the heat shield together since the small nuts & bolts were not long enough to fit through 3 pieces of metal. I honestly had to wrestle the heat shield on the ground, and take it apart numerous times, since it all never lined up properly. When I finally did get the entire unit together, the ignition switch would not work, and the heater's main burner would not light up. After numerous attempts to make it work, I boxed it up and sent it back. To give you some sense of what a pain it was to put this heater together, the same day as I put the patio heater together, I also assembled a Weber Gas Grill. My father and I had more trouble putting the patio heater together than we did the finely crafted Weber Grill! Now with a new beautiful grill and no patio heater, I was going to order a patio heater from Restoration Hardware since I thought they would offer a higher quality product. What I discovered when looking at their specs, the heater they offered was actually the Fire Sense Deluxe Patio Heater offered on Amazon for $50 more then this originally ordered heater. Restoration Hardware offered the Deluxe heater for $449, but did include a cover with it. I opted to order the unit from Amazon at $304.00 and it arrived yesterday. I immediately noticed the quality of parts is much higher, and the heat shield went together without a glitch, also better designed as it has fewer pieces. Overall this new Deluxe heater went together smoothly, except for one MAJOR flaw in the directions! The Deluxe Heater stand is not weighted, and there is a plastic unit on the bottom that needs be filled with sand. You should fill the plastic tote as your first step before doing anything else. I put the entire heater together & then was going to fill the plastic bottle at the end, but with the weight of the sand, I could not re-attach it (I was working by myself this time). I ended up having to take the heater apart again, so I could wrangle the base and attach the sand filled weight. The directions do not say anything about filling the plastic tote! My Deluxe Heater starts right up & provides excellent heat range!! The moral of this story is, spend $50 more and get the Deluxe Patio Heater, forget about this shoddy unit!

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price... I'm a happy customer., April 28, 2012
Received the package in good condition. All the items, nuts, bolts, everything was in order. The instructions are very small print, but you can find the pdf instructions online at the Fire Sense web site to view or print them larger. Nothing missing in the box... the only thing I added were three larger washers for the reflector hood. That's just me... because I may have to remove the reflector hood frequently for storage.

Follow the directions... use good tools... example: The instructions suggest a phillips screwdriver, but a larger-wider flathead screwdriver also works with the eight bolts that are combination philips/flat. I think the flat driver would provide more torque. The instructions suggest a variable wrench, but if you have a nice set of open-end/box end METRIC wrenches or METRIC ratchet wrench... that might work better for you.

I assembled it last night, bought a new propane tank and fired it up this evening. It lit on the first click of the starter. Love it when something carefully assembled works the first time. I kept it low flame, to allow the heater to temper at first, burn off oils, color the cylinder, then turned it up. It has a nice blue ring of flame, red cylinder wall and very very little noise. In short it works just like it should.

1.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION: Range is only 5 foot diameter (despite 18ft claim) and not possible to return due to policy., October 30, 2012
I purchased two of these heaters for my roof after reading about the long range on the Fire Sense website, however the advertised range of 18ft in diameter is completely inaccurate.

At 40 degrees fahrenheit, with minimal wind, the range of each heater was no greater than 5 feet in diameter. In colder or windy weather, I imagine it may not even reach that.

In addition, due to Amazon's return policy of not allowing returns of items that use flammable liquids or gases I am stuck with these heaters. It's a sound policy, however it should give the consumer even more caution in purchasing this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Happy Husband (and Grateful Friends), January 26, 2013
Jen B "JB" (Tampa Bay, FL) - See all my reviews
Practical review. I did a significant amount of research before selecting this product for my husband's holiday gift. He loved it and put it together immediately as it was cool enough to use that evening. We live in FL where we have an outdoor living room on our Lanai with a flat screen and seating for 12. It does get cold about 3 months a year at night and we really enjoy entertaining outdoors.

Assembly: Reality: It took my husband the "suit" about an 1-1/4 hour to put it together. Easy enough directions and all the parts were there. I certainly wasn't going to get in his way although I am the one with all the power tools!

Use: Directions are sufficient enough for an 8th grader to start and use it. I will say that if you are nervous around fuels or fire, you may want to see a YouTube How To video just to be safe. Funny smell at first (completely normal) as the chemicals on the metals burn off. Flames on bottom of element and the the mesh gets red hot. When cooled, mesh is blackened (also normal).

Opinion/Observations: I love that I can sit in a shirt on a 30 degree evening and feel comfortable. Heat radiates about 7 feet out from the center and is perfect for our needs. I found when there is a good breeze going, the heat shifts in that direction so you may need to adjust placment. Not to be used with wind. Still haven't gone through a tank of propane in a month so I will say that it is efficient. Love having this. This model has wheels for moving it.(I couldn't imagine getting a heater without them.) I am going to spray an extra coat of clear protection on all the enamel finished surfaces as I did read about rusting. I did not purchase the cover as we have this on a covered lanai and storage space that is dry. We will store this in the summertime covered with disposable plastic sheeting.

Overall: Great value for price/ This is a very nice low-middle range model for home use.

Fire Sense Commercial Patio Heater, Unpainted Stainless Steel