Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fire Sense Commercial Patio Heater, Unpainted Stainless Steel
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: Stainless Steel|Change

on November 23, 2011
Received this today and put it together, and just fired it up. As another reviewer observed, all parts present, unit well packed and undamaged. All the holes lined up well, and the bolts all fit well where they were supposed to.

It is easy to light, and seems to put out a respectable amount of heat. It is tall enough to be safe from hair lighting, yet not so tall that the heat is far from where it is needed. It is quiet, and the entire burner seems to light evenly with a nice blue flame. Most important, it seems safe to me. Reasonable build quality, a couple of safety features common to things propane, etc.

I am taking one star away for poor instructions. The print and pictures are very small and poorly labeled, and aside from using one's logic and experience (which isn't hard for this particular assembly), the instructions on which sized bolts to use where is virtually non-existent.

Still, happy with the purchase so far... It is what we needed at less than I thought I'd have to pay. And 2 day shipping was free with Amazon Prime.
0Comment| 212 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2014
Too tall for our Pergola no more! When I first put this thing together I didn't realize just how tall it was. Too tall in fact for our large pergola by the lake. It fit underneath but I could have run the risk of a fire if I used it underneath the wooden pergola. So I went ahead and took out the second tube, used brackets to attach the top burner unit to the bottom tube and presto, it is now the perfect size (no more than 6' tall) to use underneath the pergola. It even works better when it is not as tall. Still very tall for any kid to reach and get hurt but lower enough to put out a tremendous amount of heat to all around 9 feet of it. I've posted pics so that if you are having the same problem you can do this as well, it only takes a couple of screws, some nuts and four bolts with washers, a drill and you're on your way. Of course you will need four brackets to make it work. Just look at what I had in my tool box and used as brackets!! This thing is truly awesome and at this height, putting out 46,000 BTUs and at $155.00, you can't beat it! You will pay a lot more or the same for a 10,000 BTU table top one if you want this thing underneath a roof so why bother. Just follow the pictures I attached and enjoy!!
review image review image review image
55 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2011
Like other reviewers I found the directions to be bad even for the breed of low cost, low-price point, Chinese made products. That said, it is not rocket science and not terribly difficult to assemble. I had mine together in less than an hour working at half-speed and it contained all the parts, was packaged well and arrived undamaged. The metal body and wheels seem to be of reasonable quality while the top/heat reflector is beyond flimsy. I personally do not have enough experience with other similar products but I am skeptical the top will last. To be fair, it was less than $200 and not $600+ so perhaps the quality was consistent with the price. I purchased the manufacturers cover as well so I will keep my fingers crossed and update on the ultimate longevity of the heater.

ADDING another STAR for excellent year two performance.
55 comments| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2013
Practical review. I did a significant amount of research before selecting this product for my husband's holiday gift. He loved it and put it together immediately as it was cool enough to use that evening. We live in FL where we have an outdoor living room on our Lanai with a flat screen and seating for 12. It does get cold about 3 months a year at night and we really enjoy entertaining outdoors.

Assembly: Reality: It took my husband the "suit" about an 1-1/4 hour to put it together. Easy enough directions and all the parts were there. I certainly wasn't going to get in his way although I am the one with all the power tools!

Use: Directions are sufficient enough for an 8th grader to start and use it. I will say that if you are nervous around fuels or fire, you may want to see a YouTube How To video just to be safe. Funny smell at first (completely normal) as the chemicals on the metals burn off. Flames on bottom of element and the the mesh gets red hot. When cooled, mesh is blackened (also normal).

Opinion/Observations: I love that I can sit in a shirt on a 30 degree evening and feel comfortable. Heat radiates about 7 feet out from the center and is perfect for our needs. I found when there is a good breeze going, the heat shifts in that direction so you may need to adjust placment. Not to be used with wind. Still haven't gone through a tank of propane in a month so I will say that it is efficient. Love having this. This model has wheels for moving it.(I couldn't imagine getting a heater without them.) I am going to spray an extra coat of clear protection on all the enamel finished surfaces as I did read about rusting. I did not purchase the cover as we have this on a covered lanai and storage space that is dry. We will store this in the summertime covered with disposable plastic sheeting.

Overall: Great value for price/ This is a very nice low-middle range model for home use.
on February 14, 2011
I previously had a propane patio heater with a pilot light. What a pain! This heater with a pilotless direct ignition is fantastic. It lights right away, then shut it off when you are done. No getting on a stepstool and peering into the heater to see if the damn pilot light is lit. Plus, they blow out, not to mention that the thermocouple does not last and then you might as well throw them away, since they are not easy to repair. With this unit, you turn it on when you want to use it and then shut it down. Much easier to use and worth the extra money. Unit is not too heavy, so easy to move around on the built in wheels. A bit disappointed that the "stainless" steel base is beginning to rust in only a few months, but I can probably get it off with a little steel wool. Assembly is about 45 minutes and instructions are good. I am buying a second one and would never go back to a model with a pilot light. Get a patio heater cover for it also. Exposing the burners and ignition system to the elements most likely shortens the life of a heater significantly.
33 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2014
I usually don't write reviews but thought I would here because I felt this was an outstanding purchase, especially for the price paid. I'm sure there are "better" patio heaters out there but this one works just fine. I received it the other day and assembled it tonight. Took about an hour, just like the instructions said it would, working by myself. In fact the instructions were the highlight of my day. They were written in plain English and very easy to follow, a real uncommon feature these days. The parts were not only all there, the smaller pieces were packed on a blisterpack card and individually labelled! No guesswork about which bolts or nuts to use at any time.

Within 10 minutes of assembly I had the unit on my screened deck running nicely.

I'm going to pick up at least one more of these. A great purchase.
review image
VINE VOICEon August 9, 2013
I have other patio heaters and put them all together myself. This one wasn't too difficult and I had it together in about an hour. It was much harder than most heaters to get lit the fist time. I also think the reflector is not big enough to disperse the nice amount of heat it generates.
It seems every time I turn it off, you need to bleed the line of air when you light it up again. My other heaters pop on much faster. Once it is lit, it works fine.
I didn't know this didn't have a door for the propane cannister. You actually have to lift the bottom section up and balance it on a ledge. Everytime you use the heater, you're supposed to turn the valve of the propane cannister off, so you have to lift it before lighting, and lift it after it is off. Not that big of a deal but inconveneient never the less. My other heaters disperse heat better because of the larger reflectors. At this price though, it is still a good buy.
on April 28, 2012
Received the package in good condition. All the items, nuts, bolts, everything was in order. The instructions are very small print, but you can find the pdf instructions online at the Fire Sense web site to view or print them larger. Nothing missing in the box... the only thing I added were three larger washers for the reflector hood. That's just me... because I may have to remove the reflector hood frequently for storage.

Follow the directions... use good tools... example: The instructions suggest a phillips screwdriver, but a larger-wider flathead screwdriver also works with the eight bolts that are combination philips/flat. I think the flat driver would provide more torque. The instructions suggest a variable wrench, but if you have a nice set of open-end/box end METRIC wrenches or METRIC ratchet wrench... that might work better for you.

I assembled it last night, bought a new propane tank and fired it up this evening. It lit on the first click of the starter. Love it when something carefully assembled works the first time. I kept it low flame, to allow the heater to temper at first, burn off oils, color the cylinder, then turned it up. It has a nice blue ring of flame, red cylinder wall and very very little noise. In short it works just like it should.
review image review image
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2015
My family owns a propane company so we know all the "ins and outs" of everything that involves the use of propane. Let me just say that my father, who would spend everyday of the year outside (and we live in NY) absolutely loves loves loves this product. So much so, that this is actually the first review I am writing a review and I've been shopping on amazon for probably 15-20yrs (since it began). The year before my brother bought him the "fancy looking one"- (looks like a pyramid).... and when he turned this new one on the pyramid went right back to the garage. He's so in love with the ease and use of this product and the fact that it heats up almost immediately, that he's now asked me to purchase one for all the other members of our family this year for Christmas. .. again, I'm not big on writing reviews but I do believe that when a product is truly worth it, it's a diservice for me not to share, being that this is how I usually go by my own purchases, relying on others reviews. Hope this helps anyone in making a decision, this is a sure bet!!
on September 10, 2013
We received this quickly, and it sat for a couple of days until I moved the box out to the back deck to begin assembly. This is NOT difficult to put together.

With minimal reference to the instructions, and taking my time, I put it together in about 45 minutes, with zero frustration. Here are a few assembly tips:
1- Line up and categorize the nuts and bolts that come in the pack, and compare them to the drawings of bolt sizes in the instructions.
2- Start with the reflecting ring that goes around the top. Four pieces create a circle that will later attach to the top with 3 wing nuts and washers. Set it aside when finished. This is the hardest part.
3- Attach the wheels to the base. 10mm wrench if I recall correctly, 6 bolts.
4- Loosely attach the three riser bars to the base (3 larger bolts, can't remember if 13mm or 14mm), and then loosely attach the first riser to the top of the three bars (6 bolts, 10mm). When all bolts are in the holes, tighten everything up.
5- Put the barrel (round cylinder to cover the propane tank) over the base constructed so far.
6- Attach the top (the heater unit) to the upper cylinder with four dark screw/bolts AFTER removing the foam packing pad stuffed into the bottom of the heater unit, and of course, after snaking the gas line down through the upper cylinder.
7- Attach the ring from step one to the top of the heater unit.
8- Snake the balance of the hose down through the lower cylinder, then spin the top cylinder down onto the bottom cylinder until they lock together.

9- The most critical step. Attach the pressure regulator to the hose that comes down from the heater unit. This is a brass fitting and does not require excessive force to bolt together, but you will want to check the connection with some soapy water for bubbles once you have connected a propane tank and opened the tank's gas valve.

This is really well made, and one of the better items to come out of China.