5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect yakitori grill
Returning to the US after living in Japan for three years, one of the foods I missed most was good yakitori. I've made a lot on my Weber (which I also love), but they never came out just right until I started using this grill.

Published on June 11, 2012 by Alex79

2.0 out of 5 stars it's Pink and it's damaged!
Got my Yakatori Grill today first thing i noticed is it's pink , it looks white in the first picture didn't look at the second pic before ordering. When I got the grill there was a crack in the corner of the grill and one of the brick inserts that goes in the bottom of the grill was broken.

Guess that's to be expected with a 50.00 grill?
Published 20 months ago by Valerie H

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect yakitori grill, June 11, 2012
Alex79 "Alex" (Gaithersburg, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire Sense Large Yakatori Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)

To make authentic-tasting yakitori, the key is to use lump hardwood charcoal, rather than briquettes. If you can, fancy binchotan is awesome, but regular grocery store lump charcoal will work fine; you just have to refill more often. The combination of good charcoal and high heat reflection from the clay makes perfect grilled skewers. For best results, stick to 8" skewers, which are the perfect size for this grill. I usually just sprinkle kosher salt, nothing else, and my friends love it, though I have a pretty decent tare sauce going, too.

Please note that this grill is really set up for skewer grilling. Because of the high heat and long, narrow shape, you can keep a pretty good stream of skewers coming (I've fed five people, including myself, with no complaints). However, if you are trying to cook foods that need more time, such as burgers, this grill is probably not your best choice. Look up yakitori on wikipedia for more info and inspiration.

The folks that sell this grill are good, too. When mine arrived, I was disappointed to find that my fire grate for the bottom had cracked in shipping. 123Stores responded to my email within minutes and sent a new grate on the same day. I suppose that ordering clay items through the mail is risky, but these guys stood by their product and made things right. I couldn't be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars This grill is just perfect, April 12, 2012
This review is from: Fire Sense Large Yakatori Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
For one or two people this is a great grill.

The importer has been paying attention and the current version comes with a grid that has a small vertical 'fence' around the edge of the grid AND tabs pointing down that keep the grid from sliding around.n The rest of the world seems fine cooking on a straight grid but for the USA we now have tabs.

There were no plastic parts on mine.

The charcoal grate has been upgraded to slightly different design and appears to be made of a stronger material.

And for those who think diatomaceous earth is a disadvantage I offer the following post from the Chefs Armory blog:

The Shichirin was a purpose built cooking stove in Japan which was fired by charcoal. They are small, round and moulded from a type of clay (though you can find some ceramic). The best Shichirin are made from diatomaceous earth which have natural thermal insulating properties.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, June 5, 2013
This review is from: Fire Sense Large Yakatori Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
At 60+ my wife and I are not committed to the large outdoor meals anymore. Younger family members provide. This grill has worked out perfect for us and another couple at times. I cannot notice the difference in time, between lighting charcoal and letting a gas grill heat up. We were amazed at how much we missed the charcoal. Cleanup is a breeze

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect little grill., September 13, 2012
This review is from: Fire Sense Large Yakatori Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
This grill is the perfect size for 2-4 people. The bottom is made out of a ceramic-like material that retains heat well, therefore saving on the amount of charcoal needed. You can remove the top mesh wiring and just rest long skewers on the edges. It's easier for brushing on the sauce and reduces cleanup. The inside of the grill is divided into two portions so you can distribute the charcoal in a manner as to have high heat on one end and low heat on the other end.

A couple of things I want to note is that the ceramic part of the grill is pinkish in color, not white like the picture seems. Also, 2 square cement-like blocks were included. The instructions don't mention them, but it seems like these are meant to be inserted in the grill's compartments to provide more air flow when you rest the charcoal on top.

The only thing I would change about the grill is that I would make the wire mesh spaces slightly smaller so little pieces of food don't fall between the cracks. Aside from that, I'm very happy with this konro grill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Novel idea for American grilling not readily found, May 21, 2013
This review is from: Fire Sense Large Yakatori Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
I have a few Asian inspired decor pieces and this grill is street chic. I wanted an inexpensive time cooking outdoors and I liked that spirit in this konro. Mine had some imperfections after being bought used like new from the Amazon warehouse. Very small rust specks on the metal handles and a couple of unfinished "broken" inch size pieces on the top rim. But I am so enjoying learning about Yakatori I can't wait to use it. This grill has metal accents not plastic. They are very thinly made so I had to really look to see they weren't plastic. I read that it gets very hot so plastic pieces would degrade. I would watch the video at patioshoppers because it shows how nice the grill is. But don't be disappointed in its cement block like look it captures the essence of street style vendor cooking. Something new and old at the same time.
[Konro
Square, rectangular, tiny, round or “other” are all called Konro. Generally speaking, Konro are portable cooking stoves. These days they are fueled by gas but there are also some specifically made for barbequing which are simply termed Barbeque Konro in katakana, which tend to be placed on tabletops.

Japanese barbeque konro from Chefs Armoury

The very best Konro are made from diatomaceous earth or keisoudo mixed with volcanic ash. Diatomaceous earth is a natural product derived from fossilised remains of plankton mixed with volcanic ash. This material is favoured due to its high porosity and excellence in thermal insulation. When used in conjunction with binchotan, a Konro made from diatomaceous earth reflects the heat back into the cooking area while little heat is lost out the sides.]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for someone who knows how to work it, April 8, 2013
This review is from: Fire Sense Large Yakatori Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
It is perfect for up to 4 people. I bought it for Chinese lamb skewers, and it is a vast improvement over what I built myself. Heat control is a topic for continuous study, but it is well worth the ~30 that I paid for.

2.0 out of 5 stars it's Pink and it's damaged!, June 30, 2013
Valerie H (Milwaukie, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire Sense Large Yakatori Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)

Guess that's to be expected with a 50.00 grill?

2.0 out of 5 stars I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO OTHER REVIEW BEFORE PURCHASE, September 9, 2013
This review is from: Fire Sense Large Yakatori Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
AFTER USING ONLY 7 TIMES THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE LITERRALLY FELL APART. I TOOK VERY GOOD CARE OF IT. CLEANED IT AFTER EACH USE AND STORED IT IN THE SHED. HOW DO YOU MAKE A GRILL THAT CANNOT HANDLE HIGH HEAT??? WASTE OF MONEY!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too small, June 23, 2011
This review is from: Fire Sense Large Yakatori Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
Heat is good. The problem is it is too small. If you are doing this with 2-3 people, it is OK. If you have more than 3, this BBQ is too small.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yeah...kinda cheapo., June 23, 2011
This review is from: Fire Sense Large Yakatori Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
The grill is not a wonder of solid construction. It is not ceramic- the metal bits are cheapish. The trip on it is some kind of plastic staped into it. But my main gripe is that the grill top surface is not attached in any way, just kind of floats there. So, if you are trying to flip something it can push around the grill surface and knock it off the grill -not the ideal situation with a hot metal surface.

It's OK for what it is...price is probably a bit high for the construction.

Fire Sense Large Yakatori Charcoal Grill